E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > TWIN Turbo Upgrade in the NE, advise needed

09-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
dicostal
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

TWIN Turbo Upgrade in the NE, advise needed

Hi All,

My Indy says I have a bad oil leak from a bad seal from the turbos, it could be repaired, however the labor to do this job is supposedly the same to take the turbo out which is close to $1800 so at that point he is recommending getting new turbos. Obviously I will get a second opinion, however I want to be ready and plus this gives me an excuse to upgrade...

This is my daily driver and I am ok going with upgraded twins but I am not sure who has done any of these set-up in the north east so I need advise.

Was thinking going with VTT, but then I ready RB are better so I am totally confused...

I am already on FBO, so the next steps would be turbos, too bad that GIAC does not have a tune to go with upgraded turbos
I would really like to go with a shop here in the North East that has experience with a proven formula.
Thanks a bunch!!!

Last edited by dicostal; 09-14-2015 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
Clownaround
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Sounds like you need to investigate the Hexon rr550 Turbos. They run about $2300.00 for a new set. I beleive the company is located in Boston area but not sure. You should look into upgradeing to a new MHD tune.

http://www.hexonautowerks.com/produc...?pg=&PdSearch=

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1164490

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1096247
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
dicostal
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownaround View Post
Sounds like you need to investigate the Hexon rr550 Turbos. They run about $2300.00 for a new set. I beleive the company is located in Boston area but not sure. You should look into upgradeing to a new MHD tune.

http://www.hexonautowerks.com/produc...?pg=&PdSearch=

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1164490

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1096247

Thanks for the info, I will follow the threads!!
      09-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
LQQKOUT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XI

Hexon is your cheaper bet for stage 2 turbos. They are in Taiwan but ship very fast and haven't heard any complains yet. You can also get rebuilt stock or stage 1 turbos for less.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

RB is the most popular and most proven turbos

I have heard good things about Hexon as well

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

RB's are proven. Hexon are also good and a bit more budget oriented. Or wait for the Pure Turbos to come out; they are in testing now. Do not go with VTT, too many horror stories about burnt up turbos, waiting 6 months for your turbos and then getting charged a $400 restocking fee when you want to cancel your order, generally poor customer service, not to mention the owner (Tony) generally being an unpleasant guy with a short fuse ripping on other company's products.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i XDrive E90 2010

Just ordered my Hexon turbos. Nothing but AMAZING Customer service. Needed turbos ASAP, and would have been out of my budget if I was charged for the cores. Talked to Wayne, (owner) and he said that he can waive them for me! And as the Labor Day came by, they offered $200 off the turbos but I already ordered mine but they didn't ship out at the time yet, he offered to refund me that too!! 10-15days to your door, after you placed order for stage 2 turbos. Beats the months of wait for VTT and RB. Unless you want to wait for pure and maybe spend about $5,000. Hexon I recommend. You'll love talking to him.
      09-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
dicostal
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYuriPanda View Post
Just ordered my Hexon turbos. Nothing but AMAZING Customer service. Needed turbos ASAP, and would have been out of my budget if I was charged for the cores. Talked to Wayne, (owner) and he said that he can waive them for me! And as the Labor Day came by, they offered $200 off the turbos but I already ordered mine but they didn't ship out at the time yet, he offered to refund me that too!! 10-15days to your door, after you placed order for stage 2 turbos. Beats the months of wait for VTT and RB. Unless you want to wait for pure and maybe spend about $5,000. Hexon I recommend. You'll love talking to him.
Sweet, that sounds good. I have no issue with Taiwanese made. I just did a build on my gy6 Chinese 150cc scooter and the motor is all Taiwanese now and had no issue (replaces cylinder, piston, camshaft, clutch and much more all taiwanese)

I do have some time, I am just doing my HW now, If the car does need new turbos I will probably order something around Christmas, perhaps they will be on sale again :-)
      09-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #9
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i XDrive E90 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicostal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYuriPanda View Post
Sweet, that sounds good. I have no issue with Taiwanese made. I just did a build on my gy6 Chinese 150cc scooter and the motor is all Taiwanese now and had no issue (replaces cylinder, piston, camshaft, clutch and much more all taiwanese)

I do have some time, I am just doing my HW now, If the car does need new turbos I will probably order something around Christmas, perhaps they will be on sale again :-)
Tell him Randy sent ya! Feel free to talk to them on Facebook, if you have any specific questions,
      09-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
dicostal
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

man, the data on upgraded turbos does not look good. this is my DD and I cannot afford to need new turbos every year... so far I see cars breaking after 10k miles on upgraded turbos

I may need to get a new car if that is the case

unless I can find an easy way to fix my oil leak. The Turbos are leaking from a few places. Front one the feed and drain line on the rear turbo I am getting seepage from the turbo seal it appears. I'll bring it to the dealer for an oil change and see what they say... maybe it will be covered under extended warranty or something... wishful thinking...
      09-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #11
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If longevity is a concern, then you might want to stick with stock turbos. I've yet to see any data that aftermarket turbos (even the upgraded OEM turbos) last longer than OEM

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Longevity is always a concern when you modify and increase performance. Inlets opened the door to making more power on stock frame, but you then have to look at the fact we are pushing the turbos harder then ever before, without change something has to give.

I can't speak for other manufactures, but I can say that HEXON is going above and beyond looking at all of the concerns we have today to include standing behind their products like no other vendor. Upgrading the thrust to have more area so they hold more oil and can withstand the increased pressure we put on them by demanding more from the turbos.

I personally don't think that a re-manufactured turbo made in the US are better than a re-manufactured turbo made anywhere else in the world. Considering I pushed these turbos way beyond the limits anyone should tells me that under normal operation they should withstand the test of time.

Please remember that it's not only tune and quality of workmanship... As the owner, you need to maintain your car and keep up with service. If you're pushing your car to the limit like me, you should also be running a high zinc synthetic just like me.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
dicostal
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
Longevity is always a concern when you modify and increase performance. Inlets opened the door to making more power on stock frame, but you then have to look at the fact we are pushing the turbos harder then ever before, without change something has to give.

I can't speak for other manufactures, but I can say that HEXON is going above and beyond looking at all of the concerns we have today to include standing behind their products like no other vendor. Upgrading the thrust to have more area so they hold more oil and can withstand the increased pressure we put on them by demanding more from the turbos.

I personally don't think that a re-manufactured turbo made in the US are better than a re-manufactured turbo made anywhere else in the world. Considering I pushed these turbos way beyond the limits anyone should tells me that under normal operation they should withstand the test of time.

Please remember that it's not only tune and quality of workmanship... As the owner, you need to maintain your car and keep up with service. If you're pushing your car to the limit like me, you should also be running a high zinc synthetic just like me.
Thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind for sure.
      09-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #14
dicostal
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Wedge a quick question on the oil. I live in the NE where winters are very harsh and we see single digit temperatures at times. Running Penn Grade 1 20W-50 race oil still safe?

Thank you
      09-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #15
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance

Your running motul 300v ?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #16
dicostal
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485 View Post
he posted this for other to reference:
http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf
      09-15-2015, 06:52 PM   #17
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicostal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485 View Post
he posted this for other to reference:
http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 11:41 PM   #18
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicostal View Post
Wedge a quick question on the oil. I live in the NE where winters are very harsh and we see single digit temperatures at times. Running Penn Grade 1 20W-50 race oil still safe?

Thank you
NO... 20W is too thick in my opinion. Find a 0W oil to run in the Winter. But, don't take my word for it. Do some research and let us know what you find. I think you'll be surprised.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #19
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post

Wedge, how many miles on your Hexons? Care to post in here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1166997 ?

Appreciate 0