E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Removing center console DS Failure

09-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Removing center console DS Failure

Anyone have any tips for an E93 with iDrive?

I have my shifter off but can't for the life of me get a good grip on the console trim. All of the DIY cars show a coupe without iDrive and seems to pop open easily.

Any help would be great! Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #2
Swish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sport

I know there's a video showing that and I did it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post

I have my shifter off but can't for the life of me get a good grip on the console trim. All of the DIY cars show a coupe without iDrive and seems to pop open easily.

You have to take the iDrive knob off. Use a common screw driver to gently pry it up...then open your center console and slide something flat and solid (a screwdriver works but be careful!) and the whole thing should pop up. There are several plugs underneath that you have to remove, but remember where each belongs. Mine was an E90 but the process is about the same.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
Swish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sport

Here's a video that should help.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish
Quote:

You have to take the iDrive knob off. Use a common screw driver to gently pry it up...then open your center console and slide something flat and solid (a screwdriver works but be careful!) and the whole thing should pop up. There are several plugs underneath that you have to remove, but remember where each belongs. Mine was an E90 but the process is about the same.
Thanks, I couldn't find any info anywhere regarding an iDrive console. This thing is so freaking solid hopefully the screwdriver trick will work.

That's one of the two videos I am using to help. Hopefully it doesn't take all day it's getting hot outside.

I appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Well I popped the iDrive knob up but honestly it seems broken. It is loose now but still attached and doesn't move at all like it should.

No amount of pulling is getting it up. But I was able to at least mash it back down and it seems to move like it should. Maybe the iDrive is just going to complicate this process and I'm in over my head? The videos seem so simple but I just can't access the shifter.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

I-drive doesn't really impact removal, the knob is screwed into the underside of the console. I've removed mine a bunch of times and typically I pull from the shifter area. I tried prying the first time with a screwdriver and it doesn't help that much unless you know exactly where the tab is. Once you get a section up, you can usually get a few fingers under there and keep lifting. I have a plastic trim removal tool, but didn't find it that helpful either, not much better than screwdriver. Just don't pull too hard since the wires for the idrive aren't that long and neither are the wires for the cigarette lighter if you have that.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191
I-drive doesn't really impact removal, the knob is screwed into the underside of the console. I've removed mine a bunch of times and typically I pull from the shifter area. I tried prying the first time with a screwdriver and it doesn't help that much unless you know exactly where the tab is. Once you get a section up, you can usually get a few fingers under there and keep lifting. I have a plastic trim removal tool, but didn't find it that helpful either, not much better than screwdriver. Just don't pull too hard since the wires for the idrive aren't that long and neither are the wires for the cigarette lighter if you have that.
Thank you, I'm glad to hear I don't need to mess with it. I'll keep in mind that I need to be careful since it has short wires. And yes I have the lighter as well although I never use it. Plus I'm a convertible so I have the hardtop button so I'm guessing that might have a plug as well.

Just wish I knew where exactly to pry this thing off.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Got it off with some slow and steady increasing pressure just behind the shifter. Worked my way around to the armrest and got it free. Thanks guys.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #9
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Now I can't access these damn torx screws. This DIY is not easy at all IMO.

Any tips for these two screws T9 torx? I got the top one but I almost need 90 degree bend torx like an Allen wrench.

**Edit

Was able to work with it and lift the shifter slightly to get the screws out. My white and purple wires are separated, and blue looks to be alright although the sheath is broken. I might repair it while I have access. However, the butt connectors I bought seem to be pretty bad and very bulky so I'm going out later when my girlfriend gets off work and can take me out to find some better ones.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blindside_137; 09-11-2015 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #10
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I haven't had to fix my wires yet, but for screws like that, I have a right angle screwdriver. It accepts most screwdriver (and Torx) bits and has been a lifesaver multiple times.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #11
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't had to fix my wires yet, but for screws like that, I have a right angle screwdriver. It accepts most screwdriver (and Torx) bits and has been a lifesaver multiple times.
I have been stranded at my apartment and just had to improvise. My girlfriend won't be off work for a while still so here's what I did.

I'm an absolute dummy when it comes to this stuff. I struggled a lot where the videos don't provide much detail. It's not their fault at all. I'm just very gentile and afraid to screw shit up, so I like to know it through and through before I dive in.

I eventually realized maybe removing those initial T30 screws is to allow you to lift the shifter assembly up and have easier access to the T9 screws. The DIY didn't exactly indicate that or if I did I missed it. I think it implied it by saying it allows you to wiggle it. But it definitely had to be lifted to access the T9 screws. Once I got those it was no big deal.

I pulled out the wires from the area they are pinched and sure enough I had two that were cut and one on the way. I repaired all three. At first I used a butt connector but it fell off so I went old school. I just braided and twisted the spliced wires together and taped them back onto the direction of wire they traveled.

Put all my screws back, popped the trim back on and it freaking WORKS!!!! I'm so pumped. No errors or anything and I think I did a good enough job this should last the life of the car now. Thanks everyone for the help!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #12
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post

Wish I saw on my phone app that you had an 07 model, my iDrive is the newer model, and actually is now broken because the knob isn't supposed to separate.

I should have looked into that before I went trying to pry it off. Although it sucks I have to replace my entire iDrive controller because my knob simply doesn't work to enter/select anymore, I'm at least glad I fixed my DS mode, and likely for good.

You live and learn..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #13
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Your I drive controller doesn't mount to the underside? I can't pry my knob/button off either, it has to come out from the underside after removing console. But you shouldn't have to remove the idrive controller for a shifter fix, only if you were swapping consoles.

Sorry to hear about your new problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #14
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your I drive controller doesn't mount to the underside? I can't pry my knob/button off either, it has to come out from the underside after removing console. But you shouldn't have to remove the idrive controller for a shifter fix, only if you were swapping consoles.

Sorry to hear about your new problem.
Looking again I totally read your post wrong. Thanks again

Oh it was the other poster telling me to take the knob off. I knew I read that on here somewhere.

Oh well
Appreciate 0