E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dual Mass Flywheel Noise

09-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #1
nicko41
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 2006

Dual Mass Flywheel Noise

Hello, new to the forum my first post!!

I have a 2006 E91 320d which has done 160k, mostly on the motorway I should add

Recently I have noticed when I press the clutch about 1/4 of the way to the floor there is a rattled. Fully engaged or dis-engaged no noise at all. There is sometimes a little judder pulling away.

I was told recently by our local dealer it was the dual mass flywheel and would need doing sooner rather than later.

Just wondered what happens from here. Will it gradually get worse or am I risking getting stranded one day due to major failure and / or more damage being caused.

Just trying to defer it if possible as its about £1k's of work, thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 N54 E92

Throwout bearing?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko41 View Post
Hello, new to the forum my first post!!

I have a 2006 E91 320d which has done 160k, mostly on the motorway I should add

Recently I have noticed when I press the clutch about 1/4 of the way to the floor there is a rattled. Fully engaged or dis-engaged no noise at all. There is sometimes a little judder pulling away.

I was told recently by our local dealer it was the dual mass flywheel and would need doing sooner rather than later.

Just wondered what happens from here. Will it gradually get worse or am I risking getting stranded one day due to major failure and / or more damage being caused.

Just trying to defer it if possible as its about £1k's of work, thanks
Since you have "a little judder", I'd say that you have some glazing of either the clutch or the flywheel. I had this problem on my 2008 E91 and it eventually - over about 10K miles - got bad enough that I got both the clutch and flywheel replaced. I had mine done right around 100K miles. Once taken apart, you could see that the flywheel had seriously deteriorated. The rattling you are hearing are the springs in the flywheel. The clutch itself might have still been serviceable, but once you have it apart to replace the flywheel there's really no reason to not go ahead and replace the clutch as well (the clutch is much less expensive than the flywheel).

Google "judder" and "E91" and you'll find many posts about this issue...most of which are for cars in Europe (since there aren't a lot of E91 MT cars here in the US). I don't know why this doesn't seem to be a problem so much with non-wagons. But yeah, at 160K (miles?), you're probably at the point where a clutch and flywheel are recommended anyway. You have gotten more life out of yours than many have.

The good news is that this is unlikely to result in catastrophic failure under normal driving conditions. It'll just get worse and worse until you get it taken care of.

Good luck!

Last edited by jsunma; 09-11-2015 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
illuminaughty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Im at 135k miles and have the same judder caused by the DMFW. It gets much worse when starting on hills or when slowly taking off. Im tempted to switch to a SMFW now that the idle tables have been discovered, which will fix the rattle at idle. Just curious how loud the 2000-2500 rpm rattle that people have mentioned is.
Appreciate 0