E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery needed? cranking issues?

09-09-2015, 11:37 PM   #1
zmon1300
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive Coupe

Battery needed? cranking issues?

hey guys,

I have a 2010 335i xdrive coupe AT fbo e40 and I feel like it cranks too long. Sometimes I feel like it is about to die while cranking. And I cannot keep the key in the car in the on position for more than a minute before the battery dies out. But the weird thing is that, I do not get ANY codes for the battery at all. Im not sure if i should just drop off the battery at autozone to charge or buy a new battery?

If I buy a new OEM battery, I do have access to CarlyBMW app so I can register it. But what is the most reasonable aftermarket battery? And can I code it myself or should I get someone to code it ?

Should a new battery solve my issue?
Also, will I have to reflash my tune when replacing the battery?

Thanks
Z
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #2
zmon1300
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

whenever i unlock the car, I hear a faint ringing noise too if that makes a difference for a good minute.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 12:53 AM   #3
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmon1300 View Post
whenever i unlock the car, I hear a faint ringing noise too if that makes a difference for a good minute.
Do a load test on ur battery first before u buy a new one. Auto parts can do load test for free. Buy a OEM battery if u can get a good price. Is not worth all the shopping around and coding if u can get a good price on OEM. U can install install it youfself if u know how to use tools. Cheers and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

If your battery is original from 2010 and the car loses power quickly with just the key on, you should replace the battery.

This may not improve your long crank starting issue, but if you don't replace the battery you'll get stranded very, very soon due low battery charge.

There are really only 2-3 battery manufacturers. Every battery you can buy from any retailer (Walmart, dealer, Autozone, etc....) comes from one of these manufacturers with a different 'brand' of stickers or labels.

Buy a new battery from whoever you think is the most convenient. If you do not change the type of battery (conventional wet cell vs. AGM) you will not need a coding change, only a battery registration.

My recommendation would be to buy a battery from AdvanceAuto parts and have them do the installation (free). You should buy the battery on-line and use a coupon code, but schedule the battery for in-store pick up. This will save you 20-30% off the in-store price of the battery. You should probably be able to get an H6 or an H8 size for $110-130 with the coupon code and you get free installation. You'll get the core credit immediately by having them change the battery.

If you don't like this option, go to any dealer or indy that you prefer.

After getting the battery, use the Carly app to register the battery.
      09-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
zmon1300
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What battery would be better than oem? U can get coding done because I have a guy coming to do my transcript flash and other stuff, I'm assuming he can code it.

Also, what battery from advance auto would you recommend? Can they do a load test ?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
zmon1300
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I* trans*
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
robthewrench
Captain
Rep

Advance auto can do a quick load test.

There are 3 or 4 models of oem battery. Even though this battery says BMW on it, it is really just a Johnson Controls (or other manufacturer's) battery. You can get the same battery from Advance Auto (or other retailers) for way less than the dealer. The in-house brand name for Advance Auto branded batteries is Auto-craft. The in-house brand name for walmart batteries is EverStart / Maxx.

If you want the best battery, get an AGM type battery size H8. This has the largest capacity, but it requires recoding your car to AGM type battery. (Assuming your car does not already have an AGM battery!). This battery will last at least 5 years. Most expensive option.

If you want a good battery, get the conventional wet cell type battery size H8. This is also a large capacity battery, but probably won't last a long as the AGM type battery. This battery will last ~5 years.

If you want the lower cost option, get the conventional wet cell type battery size H6. This battery is smaller than the H8 and will not give you as much power. This is most common OEM size battery from BMW, but it is really a little on the small size for your car. This battery may also last 5 years, but is put under more stress than the H8 sized battery.
      09-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #8
zmon1300
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Smile

Just went to Advance. They checked the battery and said It just needs a charge. They said it was 650 cca and when they tested it with their small machine, it was at 650 cca. So....not sure anymore? any advise? Anyone have an idea of what the oem battery will cost vs aftermarket plus coding?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
robthewrench
Captain
Rep

650 cranking amps is the capacity of the H6 sized battery. Charge it up and see if it holds. If the problem returns, I would still replace the battery first, as that is the easiest thing to try first. If the second battery has the same problem you probably have a charging or alternator issue.