E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > most troublesome flat tire ever

09-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
atinybug
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i 6mt

most troublesome flat tire ever

Saturday night around midnight I hit a pothole in the middle of the highway at 70mph and it ripped a hole about 2" wide in the sidewall of my front right tire. So I think ok, whatever, I'll just change it with the spare from my mom's 2002 330i. Called her up and got her to drive out to meet me, take my wheel off and tried to put her 17" spare on and found out it wouldn't fit over my brakes. So I had to put my flat tire back on and call a tow truck.

Fast forward to Monday, I take off the wheel from my car and get ready to go take it to the tire shop, and then remember it was Labor day so everything was closed. Ended up sticking a cinder block under the jack point and just left it like that overnight.

This morning I call up the tire place to get them to send 2 tires from their warehouse so I can switch both front tires since they're getting kinda old anyway. I take the single wheel that's already off my car to them so they can install the tire, and take it back home to put on my car. Then I drive my car back to the shop so they can install the other tire. About 10 minutes after they pull my car into the bay, they come and ask me where my wheel lock thing is. Then I thought o crap, I left it in the lug nut after I put the wheel on and just drove off like that, so it's somewhere on the side of the road between my house and the shop.

So now I have to wait until Thursday morning because the dealer doesn't have them in stock and they'll have to order it. I have one new tire and one old tire on my fronts, and a missing wheel lock key.

Just wanted to rant.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by atinybug View Post
Saturday night around midnight I hit a pothole in the middle of the highway at 70mph and it ripped a hole about 2" wide in the sidewall of my front right tire. So I think ok, whatever, I'll just change it with the spare from my mom's 2002 330i. Called her up and got her to drive out to meet me, take my wheel off and tried to put her 17" spare on and found out it wouldn't fit over my brakes. So I had to put my flat tire back on and call a tow truck.

Fast forward to Monday, I take off the wheel from my car and get ready to go take it to the tire shop, and then remember it was Labor day so everything was closed. Ended up sticking a cinder block under the jack point and just left it like that overnight.

This morning I call up the tire place to get them to send 2 tires from their warehouse so I can switch both front tires since they're getting kinda old anyway. I take the single wheel that's already off my car to them so they can install the tire, and take it back home to put on my car. Then I drive my car back to the shop so they can install the other tire. About 10 minutes after they pull my car into the bay, they come and ask me where my wheel lock thing is. Then I thought o crap, I left it in the lug nut after I put the wheel on and just drove off like that, so it's somewhere on the side of the road between my house and the shop.

So now I have to wait until Thursday morning because the dealer doesn't have them in stock and they'll have to order it. I have one new tire and one old tire on my fronts, and a missing wheel lock key.

Just wanted to rant.
1) wheel shops can just drill out the one keyed lug
2) they just hammer a larger socket over the keyed lug and use that to force the keyed lug to turn. i don't understand why stock rims come with wheel locks... who steals stock rims any more?

once u get the new keyed lug... remove the other keyed lugs and just go back to a normal lug so you don't have that problem ever
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 08:51 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
1) wheel shops can just drill out the one keyed lug
2) they just hammer a larger socket over the keyed lug and use that to force the keyed lug to turn. i don't understand why stock rims come with wheel locks... who steals stock rims any more?

once u get the new keyed lug... remove the other keyed lugs and just go back to a normal lug so you don't have that problem ever
Crackheads...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Crackheads...
i have stopped parking my car in crackhead designated areas, its just easier to park your car in the burbs.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 05:04 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
i have stopped parking my car in crackhead designated areas, its just easier to park your car in the burbs.
You just reminded me I need to order some wheel locks for the Z4...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
Quote:
Ask for some forum member help in ur local forums...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

similar thing happened to me earlier this year, only it was a rear tire, and I tried to swap it off my wife's 325xi. 16" wheels, not even close to fitting over the brakes.. doh!

I hate the wheel locks, I really need to order 8 more regular lugs and throw them in the trash.. maybe if you had some expensive aftermarket wheels, but stock ones?

Also with the way the factory wheels are designed I don't think you can hammer a socket over the head of the lug. the hole is too small for that. I really doubt any tire shop is going to drill out a bolt for you either, unless something is really fucked up; I've been turned away for simple stuff like having a stud kit instead of lug bolts.

so basically the wheel locks suck and relying on only run flat tires is annoying. I want a full sized spare like a real BMW should..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #9
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
similar thing happened to me earlier this year, only it was a rear tire, and I tried to swap it off my wife's 325xi. 16" wheels, not even close to fitting over the brakes.. doh!

I hate the wheel locks, I really need to order 8 more regular lugs and throw them in the trash.. maybe if you had some expensive aftermarket wheels, but stock ones?

Also with the way the factory wheels are designed I don't think you can hammer a socket over the head of the lug. the hole is too small for that. I really doubt any tire shop is going to drill out a bolt for you either, unless something is really fucked up; I've been turned away for simple stuff like having a stud kit instead of lug bolts.

so basically the wheel locks suck and relying on only run flat tires is annoying. I want a full sized spare like a real BMW should..
Where on Earth are you located... you have some really strict shops around you. Almost all chain shops and dealerships are willing to force the keyed lug out of the car if you need to get going ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #10
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

looking at the stock wheels, I don't know how you could cram a socket over the head of the lock bolt without damaging the wheel. hell, on my wife's car I can barely get the stupid lock off the bolt because I can't get my fingers in there to grab it..
Appreciate 0