BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

02-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
rstringer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: audi

Would most people drive a 911 if they could afford it?

I am just really curious and don't mean to offend anyone. Would most people on this board drive a Porsche 911 if they could afford it?

Basically are we M3 enthusiasts because it's affordable performance or is it by choice?

Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

I don't think there's a generalized answer to this. Some here would probably choose the 911 if they could afford, some already drove/owned a 911 and just want a change (Devo for example), some probably could afford one but don't want to for some reasons.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
grkmec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I could afford it, but would not want it as a daily driver. So, it would have to be a 2nd car for me. Since the wife also has a car and I would want a nice daily driver, I can not justify dropping 80k on a 3rd car at this point in my life...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

My observation is that there is all types in both camps. There are those here (and all over the world, internet or not, m3post.com or not) that worship Porsche almost purely from a brand/prestige perspective then in sharp contrast are those that appreciate the purist nature and technical excellence of the cars. As well in the BMW camp are the blind fan boys, those that simply appreciate good value and those more intimate with the M brand legacy, achievements and the real nature of the M driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Chromander
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4, G30 530e, 997.2TT

Smile porcupine question

Rob,

I think you should ask the question, why would you drive a 911? (Image, performance, driving experience, chic magnet?!?!...etc...) Btw - Which 911 are you referring to? Base model, TT, GT3, RS, etc....????

But back to your question....I drive a 911 during the summer. My car hasn't seen a drop of water. It's babied and stored during the cold rainy and snowy season. My daily car is of course an e90 zsp.

Last edited by Chromander; 02-21-2008 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: additional question added...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

These cars (997S and M3) are so close in performance that part of my choice comes down to the cost of admission. Basically, there is a $20k difference between these cars depending on how you equip them, but $20k is fair. It is subjective whether or not the Porsche is worth the higher price. As much as I can afford a Porsche (I've owned three too include a 997 turbo), I still consider $20k a bit of money. That $20k allows me to buy more toys. I don't like to finance cars.

Basically, my reasons are that it's $20k more, the 997 is in it's fourth year and a facelift and then subsequent model change are just around the corner. I also believe that you can put a few more miles on the M without getting beat up in resale. (Porsches are very mileage sensitive, imo) The E9X M3 may follow suit but who knows right now.

So, I feel that I can enjoy the M for a bit and then decide if I want a 998/911 or whatever it's going to be called.

To answer your question, basically if money were no object, I probably go Porsche, but then if it were no object I'd have a M in my stable too because it's so cool.

I think Southlight was right, it's too generalized to really answer.

GRKMEC summed it up nicely, the 911 is a weekend, sunny day car. To tie up another $90K for a weekend warrior is hard. Don't get me wrong, you can drive the 911 as a dd, but the miles will hurt the residuals a lot.

Besides, I need that $20k towards my GT-R in June.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
No, there is better cars to be had for the same money, like the Audi R8. It is superior in every way, but neither it nor the 997 would interest me as I require 4 proper seats for the family duties.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
M2MG17
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I own a 997 and owned a E46 M3 and E39 M5 recently. I always thought the porsche cars were very overpriced and overhyped until i got one.

Since this is sort of a production sports car from the intial build and design the handling and overall driving experience is at a different level from BMW M. The straight line exhiliration is not as exciting as an E46 M3 at all but the car feels so controlled and well balanced.

I am also ordering a E92 M3 with DKG so i am hoping this gap will be closed with the new model but there is something magical about the way a Porsche handles and drives. They are 2 different cars and and in 2 different categories making it difficult to compare.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasem3 View Post
I own a 997 and owned a E46 M3 and E39 M5 recently. I always thought the porsche cars were very overpriced and overhyped until i got one.

Since this is sort of a production sports car from the intial build and design the handling and overall driving experience is at a different level from BMW M. The straight line exhiliration is not as exciting as an E46 M3 at all but the car feels so controlled and well balanced.

I am also ordering a E92 M3 with DKG so i am hoping this gap will be closed with the new model but there is something magical about the way a Porsche handles and drives. They are 2 different cars and and in 2 different categories making it difficult to compare.

So very true.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
No, there is better cars to be had for the same money, like the Audi R8. It is superior in every way, but neither it nor the 997 would interest me as I require 4 proper seats for the family duties.
I have to disagree with you on this one. I do not get the R8 at all. Talk about overpiced. For another 10-15K you can have a 997tt which will crush the R8. I really like the idea of a mid-engine sports car, but for that price the R8 needs another 50-60 horsepower. I'd rather have a 2wd C2S with Porsche Sports Exhaust for $25-30k less.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
rstringer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I have to disagree with you on this one. I do not get the R8 at all. Talk about overpiced. For another 10-15K you can have a 997tt which will crush the R8. I really like the idea of a mid-engine sports car, but for that price the R8 needs another 50-60 horsepower. I'd rather have a 2wd C2S with Porsche Sports Exhaust for $25-30k less.
Thanks everyone for the input, that was very interesting.

To clarify a few points. I was refering to any 911. As for my self I don't think I would drive a porsche, because of the image associated to a porsche driver which is a douche bag , just kidding.

But seriously it's not me and I don't like to the limited visiblity and being so close to the ground ,plus i love the stealth factor of the M car.

But that's just me.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #12
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstringer View Post
Thanks everyone for the input, that was very interesting.

To clarify a few points. I was refering to any 911. As for my self I don't think I would drive a porsche, because of the image associated to a porsche driver which is a douche bag , just kidding.

But seriously it's not me and I don't like to the limited visiblity and being so close to the ground ,plus i love the stealth factor of the M car.

But that's just me.

Cheers,
Rob
Well, it takes a douchbag to know one.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
grizzy727
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3m, 20 XC90,18 JLU, 04 911

Well I own a 911 and a e46 m3 and thinking of replacing the m3 with a newer one. 2 enitrely different cars always compared. Look there are faster, prettier, cheaper, blah blah ..cars than the 911 but I dare youy to drive one for a few days and not think its simply perfect. The whole package together is the best. Now the m3 is no slouch and is a great car and is more practical as a car. But for true driving enjoyment the 911 wins. But its comparing a score of 95 to 97.
Btw-last year I paid for a 2 day porsche driving school with professional drivers on a track all day--they were stock 911s no extras--lemme tell you the limits are simply incredible to this car --and doing a hot lap with an instructor such as Hurley Haywood will simply humble your driving ability.
cliffnotes-both incredible cars but 911 has the edge
devo-u make a good point-its alot of money to tie up for a sunday drive(I have 8k miles in 4 years)
Mike

Last edited by grizzy727; 02-21-2008 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: adding comment
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 09:16 PM   #14
rstringer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzy727 View Post
Well I own a 911 and a e46 m3 and thinking of replacing the m3 with a newer one. 2 enitrely different cars always compared. Look there are faster, prettier, cheaper, blah blah ..cars than the 911 but I dare youy to drive one for a few days and not think its simply perfect. The whole package together is the best. Now the m3 is no slouch and is a great car and is more practical as a car. But for true driving enjoyment the 911 wins. But its comparing a score of 95 to 97.
Btw-last year I paid for a 2 day porsche driving school with professional drivers on a track all day--they were stock 911s no extras--lemme tell you the limits are simply incredible to this car --and doing a hot lap with an instructor such as Hurley Haywood will simply humble your driving ability.
cliffnotes-both incredible cars but 911 has the edge
devo-u make a good point-its alot of money to tie up for a sunday drive(I have 8k miles in 4 years)
Mike
Ok, I test drove a 911 in 2001 and i really was not impressed at least what power was concerned, but I understand that they have improved siginificantly over the years, so maybe I give it another shot.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 10:10 PM   #15
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

The Porsche is great... I would buy a Carrera S instead of the M3, but the big problem is the fact that I don't think it would be a good daily driver. Too flashy for a only car. Now, the M3 it's also a hell of a car and it's something you can live with every day.

I do prefer the M3 over a base 911, boxter or Cayman S though. The difference in price with the 911 S is not that much (unless you overload the Porsche with options), but it's worth it. (IMO)

A lot of people are in the same position as me.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #16
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
LOL in Australia the difference between an M3 and a Carrera S (specced similarly) is USD$80,000. For that reason I cannot compare the two. If they were the same price I would still choose the M3 though, more practicality, better DD, better sound!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 12:45 AM   #17
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasem3 View Post

Amen
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 01:00 AM   #18
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
These cars (997S and M3) are so close in performance that part of my choice comes down to the cost of admission. Basically, there is a $20k difference between these cars depending on how you equip them, but $20k is fair. It is subjective whether or not the Porsche is worth the higher price. As much as I can afford a Porsche (I've owned three too include a 997 turbo), I still consider $20k a bit of money. That $20k allows me to buy more toys. I don't like to finance cars.

Basically, my reasons are that it's $20k more, the 997 is in it's fourth year and a facelift and then subsequent model change are just around the corner. I also believe that you can put a few more miles on the M without getting beat up in resale. (Porsches are very mileage sensitive, imo) The E9X M3 may follow suit but who knows right now.

So, I feel that I can enjoy the M for a bit and then decide if I want a 998/911
or whatever it's going to be called.
To answer your question, basically if money were no object, I probably go Porsche, but then if it were no object I'd have a M in my stable too because it's so cool. I think Southlight was right, it's too generalized to really answer.

GRKMEC summed it up nicely, the 911 is a weekend, sunny day car. To tie up another $90K for a weekend warrior is hard. Don't get me wrong, you can drive the 911 as a dd, but the miles will hurt the residuals a lot.
Besides, I need that $20k towards my GT-R in June.

How long did you have the 997 Turbo for? Why did you get rid of it?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 01:24 AM   #19
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstringer View Post
I am just really curious and don't mean to offend anyone. Would most people on this board drive a Porsche 911 if they could afford it?

Basically are we M3 enthusiasts because it's affordable performance or is it by choice?

Rob
I own a 911 and I am selling it for an M3...lol.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 05:48 AM   #20
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
The Porsche is great... I would buy a Carrera S instead of the M3, but the big problem is the fact that I don't think it would be a good daily driver. Too flashy for a only car. Now, the M3 it's also a hell of a car and it's something you can live with every day.

I do prefer the M3 over a base 911, boxter or Cayman S though. The difference in price with the 911 S is not that much (unless you overload the Porsche with options), but it's worth it. (IMO)

A lot of people are in the same position as me.
The difference is $20k, modestly equipped.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 05:50 AM   #21
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

I test drove a 997S before I ordered the M3 and for some reason, still a mystery to me, it just didnt grab me. I'll never understand why as I expected tobe blown away by it. I was the same with the RS4 as well which also surprised me.

Jaguar XKR on the other hand really enthused me but in the end, just felt too grown up for me at 37. Maybe in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 06:05 AM   #22
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
How long did you have the 997 Turbo for? Why did you get rid of it?
I owned it for a few months. I bought it knowing that the market was hot, so I could get out if I wanted. It was one of the first 600 or so in the country. I sold it because I thought that I had too much money tied up in one car, a car that I had to keep miles to a minimum. Even with minimum miles, turbos do not fare that well in resale. That may be bit of over statement, but if you fiqure at least 50% loss over five years with just 3-4 thousand miles per year, yeah it's bad to me.

As much as it was a very, very fast car, it was also too soft for me. The exhaust was far to quiet, the suspension too soft and the wheels to refined. Yes, all these things could be changed, but I did not want to put another $12k into a $135k car at the time. (A good exhaust for that car is $4-6K).

With all of this said, the turbo is a fantastic car for someone who is not concerned with the value. I may own one again, but it will likely be in another 6-10 years and it will be a keeper, so resale will not be a concern.

It is still an incredible car though.

My plan was to buy what I am buying today. With what I had in to the turbo, I was able to buy a 2008 335 Xi coupe as my daily driver and an 2008 M3 and still have $15k left. I can drive five times the miles combined and not be much worse in resale, imo. I do not sweat the miles now. I wanted to drive not just own a garage queen. Not that I don't enjoy staring at my cars in the garage sucking a few brews, but I want to drive them frequently too.
Appreciate 0