E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Need Help with MS-8 Crossover Setup

09-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MPPSK

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Need Help with MS-8 Crossover Setup

Hello, I need help with the MS-8 setup, specifically with setting the most optimal crossover freq values.

My speaker and amp setup is currently:

Front: Focal IFBMW-S (amped)
Center: Focal 100CA1 (amped)
Rear: OEM L7 speakers wired in parallel (MS-8)
Underseat: SWS-8xi (amped)

I tried the following crossover and it sounds a bit hollow:

Hi Pass: 20hz / 24db
All speakers: 160hz / 24db

What I do when I do the initial setup, I turn down all the gains in the external amps all the way down. I configure the MS-8 (crossovers, acoustic measurements) first, then whebn I am done configuring, I turn the gains on the external amps back up to my liking.

Is this how to configure the system? I appreciate any advice you can give me.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonywise View Post
Hello, I need help with the MS-8 setup, specifically with setting the most optimal crossover freq values.

My speaker and amp setup is currently:

Front: Focal IFBMW-S (amped)
Center: Focal 100CA1 (amped)
Rear: OEM L7 speakers wired in parallel (MS-8)
Underseat: SWS-8xi (amped)

I tried the following crossover and it sounds a bit hollow:

Hi Pass: 20hz / 24db
All speakers: 160hz / 24db

What I do when I do the initial setup, I turn down all the gains in the external amps all the way down. I configure the MS-8 (crossovers, acoustic measurements) first, then whebn I am done configuring, I turn the gains on the external amps back up to my liking.

Is this how to configure the system? I appreciate any advice you can give me.
Are the new speakers broken in? What speakers/crossover did you have with the old set-up?
      09-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

you really should not be messing with the gain post calibration unless you trying to something specific (am I reading your post right?). Your gains should be should be in the ballpark before you calibrate....

also...."hollow" is how I would typically describe an out of phase set of speakers....so double and triple check the phase of your speakers.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Are the new speakers broken in? What speakers/crossover did you have with the old set-up?
Speakers are broken in I believe. Previously, I had L7 speakers amped by MS-8 and SWS-8x amped externally.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #5
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
you really should not be messing with the gain post calibration unless you trying to something specific (am I reading your post right?). Your gains should be should be in the ballpark before you calibrate....

also...."hollow" is how I would typically describe an out of phase set of speakers....so double and triple check the phase of your speakers.
Does that mean I should try to match the sound (raise the input level on the external amps) using the MS-8 using the white noise tool BEFORE calibration?

If that is the case, what about the amp that is powering SWS-8x? Should I raise the input BEFORE MS-8 calibration?

For my external amps powering the front, center and sws-8x, I have set them to "All Pass" and frequency knob all the way down. Please let me know if I should set it otherwise.

Sorry I am a newb at this..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 12:37 AM   #6
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Try bringing the highs and mids up to 200hz HP Why are the rears run in parallel? this defeats the purpose of the MS-8 surround capabilities.

All of your amplifier crossovers should be set to all pass or full range.
You big problem is the SWS woofers. You will have a better SQ with running the stock L7 underseats.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 07:23 AM   #7
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Try bringing the highs and mids up to 200hz HP Why are the rears run in parallel? this defeats the purpose of the MS-8 surround capabilities.

You big problem is the SWS woofers. You will have a better SQ with running the stock L7 underseats.
I have rear sides and rear deck in parallel (SL SR)not just the rear decks. The SWS is externally amped. Not sure why it would be worse than stock underseats..

I need confirmation whether I should turn up the external amp levels to match the volume level with the rear sides that are powered by MS-8, when calibrating MS-8.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #8
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany

Most would disagree with this first paragraph under these conditions. Because he has sws and not a midbass underseat driver he needs to keep xover as low as the focal will tolerate. I would recommend 120-160 (though my setup does use 200 with true midbasses)

Also wiring the rears and sides in parallel is the only way that ms-8 has enough channels when used with a center. This is the recommended configuration by Andy W.

The second paragraph is correct. The sws cannot handle midbass so stock midbasses either hifi or L7 are better if you use a trunk sub. Without a trunk sub its a tradeoff you have to decide for yourself; better modbass or sub bass. With those focals you may be able to use a low enough crossover point to pull it off.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Most would disagree with this first paragraph under these conditions. Because he has sws and not a midbass underseat driver he needs to keep xover as low as the focal will tolerate. I would recommend 120-160 (though my setup does use 200 with true midbasses)

Also wiring the rears and sides in parallel is the only way that ms-8 has enough channels when used with a center. This is the recommended configuration by Andy W.

The second paragraph is correct. The sws cannot handle midbass so stock midbasses either hifi or L7 are better if you use a trunk sub. Without a trunk sub its a tradeoff you have to decide for yourself; better modbass or sub bass. With those focals you may be able to use a low enough crossover point to pull it off.
I will try recalibrating with lower (140hz) frequency later today. Can you confirm if I should be matching the volume by raising the external amp levels before calibrating the MS-8?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
jeffb335
Rep

Yes, you should get the levels roughly similar before you calibrate......then leave them alone post calibration, use the ms-8 level controls and eq.

As taibanl said, with the specific speaker setup you have, the crossover point needs to be as low as the focals will go, 160 is good, lower may be even better.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #11
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonywise
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post

I will try recalibrating with lower (140hz) frequency later today. Can you confirm if I should be matching the volume by raising the external amp levels before calibrating the MS-8?
The ms-8 does work best if you do a basic system setup before hand. I actually use 0db test tones at various freqs and a db meter to level match the system prior to calibration. To do this while ms-8 is installed you have to access the hidden test menu. (Search).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Thanks guys, I will try to match the levels using an db app, then calibrate at 140hz or so and report back with the results.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonywise View Post
I have rear sides and rear deck in parallel (SL SR)not just the rear decks. The SWS is externally amped. Not sure why it would be worse than stock underseats..

I need confirmation whether I should turn up the external amp levels to match the volume level with the rear sides that are powered by MS-8, when calibrating MS-8.
Ok, I was confused, I thought right and left speakers in parallel which would give no stereo separation.
The SWS speakers do not have the frequency band that the Stock logic 7 woofers have and believe it or not, they will take more power than the SWS will take without breaking a sweat. (Trust me)
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #14
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
Yes, you should get the levels roughly similar before you calibrate......then leave them alone post calibration, use the ms-8 level controls and eq.

As taibanl said, with the specific speaker setup you have, the crossover point needs to be as low as the focals will go, 160 is good, lower may be even better.
While I did not use the hidden test menu to match each input line separately, I used the db monitor app to match the sound levels during right after the INPUT setup and BEFORE the calibration where the MS-8 allows you to test FR FL C.. etc. before going into acoustic calibration.

Wow. What a huge improvement even though it was a rough measurement. I can't believe I was listening to unbalanced sound for the past 2 years..

I plan to use the hidden test menu to match the sound level more accurately then recalibrate during the weekend (it was night time yesterday).

Thanks again guys! You guys are awesome!
Appreciate 0