E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > speaker wire colors to the underseat speakers in 2007 e93 CCC NAV, Standard Stereo

08-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #1
simba_RR
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 330dA

speaker wire colors to the underseat speakers in 2007 e93 CCC NAV, Standard Stereo

I’ve browsed the forums for a description of the cables that correspond to what I have in my 2007 e93 but so far I haven’t found a cable description that corresponds to the colors of my speaker cables going to the under seat speakers. I have Nav Professional (CCC NAV) and standard speakers (no tweeters and as far as I know no external amp other than the amp in the double din head unit with the NAV, CD and DVD player. I’m installing an MB Quart kit, tweeters, mid-range in the doors and 8” mid subs under the seats. I will be amplifying the under seat speakers and now to my question. The speaker cable on the left going to the under seat speaker is blue/white and blue/brown and on the right hand side the cables are blue/black and blue/brown. I used a volt meter while playing music to try to find out which of the pairs is the positive one. I received a low voltage reading and it seems like that on the left, the blue/brown is the positive one and on the right the blue/black. This is confusing to me since both sides have a wire with the combination blue/brown but If my voltage reading is correct, on the left the blue/brown cable is the positive one but not the blue/brown on the right. Is there anyone that can verify this for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3u3d0zjsq...left.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8a8k3yrqn...ight.jpeg?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Play a constant 1KHz tone, not music. Pin #3 is positive.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 12:47 AM   #3
simba_RR
Sweden
Rep

Thanks Technic, I have a Test CD, I Will make use of it for this. I don't want to take out my double din Head Unit if I don't have to.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 02:47 AM   #4
simba_RR
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Play a constant 1KHz tone, not music. Pin #3 is positive.
It worked! Thanks for your input Technic! I was afraid that the 1 kHz signal would not be passed on to the under seat but I got a signal and now I have both sides connected correctly. I have bought the MB Quart kit for BMW. I'm sending the right and left signals to a high-low converter, passing both left and right low level signals to the Alpine MRP M350 and connecting the two 8" MB Quarts under the seats in parallel. Well, I now sorted it out and have hooked up my Alpine MPR M350 to the 8" MB Quarts and now they play tight, very tight and dry bass, exactly to my liking! The amp is a bit over powered for this setup given I only have the head unit (CCC NAV) power driving the other speakers so in order to get it balanced and not too bass heavy I had to turn the input gain to 0 and the bass eq to 0 on the Alpine amp. I will try the setup now and see where I go from here, one thing is for sure, I will be replacing the original rear speakers for a couple of 4" coaxial MB Quarts. The sound coming out in the car now is a far stretch from what I had earlier, this is a cheep and good upgrade but its not audiophile standard.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 06:38 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba_RR View Post
It worked! Thanks for your input Technic! I was afraid that the 1 kHz signal would not be passed on to the under seat but I got a signal and now I have both sides connected correctly. I have bought the MB Quart kit for BMW. I'm sending the right and left signals to a high-low converter, passing both left and right low level signals to the Alpine MRP M350 and connecting the two 8" MB Quarts under the seats in parallel. Well, I now sorted it out and have hooked up my Alpine MPR M350 to the 8" MB Quarts and now they play tight, very tight and dry bass, exactly to my liking! The amp is a bit over powered for this setup given I only have the head unit (CCC NAV) power driving the other speakers so in order to get it balanced and not too bass heavy I had to turn the input gain to 0 and the bass eq to 0 on the Alpine amp. I will try the setup now and see where I go from here, one thing is for sure, I will be replacing the original rear speakers for a couple of 4" coaxial MB Quarts. The sound coming out in the car now is a far stretch from what I had earlier, this is a cheep and good upgrade but its not audiophile standard.
Appreciate 0