THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes My nightmare experience getting Dinan Springs installed- FINAL UPDATE 12/01/15

08-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i

My nightmare experience getting Dinan Springs installed- FINAL UPDATE 12/01/15

I would like to share with my nightmare I have been experiencing for the past several months so that none of you have to go through the same issue. It might be somewhat unique and hopefully we can all learn something from this. Its a long one.

About 7-8 months ago I purchased Dinan springs + bump stops from an authorized retailer and took them to a non-Dinan authorized BMW service center. I happened to work in the sales dept of the same dealership so I was able to get a nice discount on the labor. At the same time I asked to install another part for me and they recommend an alignment so I definitely felt happy to be getting said discount as all the labor added up.

One or two months after the installation date I hear a weird squeak coming from one of the shock towers and some clunking noise as well. I make an appointment during which the technician looks at the vehicle (and drives it too) and he cannot find anything wrong with the vehicle. I receive a phone call several hours later from my SA claiming they cannot replicate the noise which would be my best bet of them being able to continue searching for a problem.

I go in the service department and request a "ride along" with my technician so I can help him "listen" to the noises I hear. During the drive I can only replicate the squeaking but thats I cared about as it was the MOST ANNOYING noise I ever heard in any of my vehicles. 30 seconds in the ride along I am able to prove to my tech that such a noise exists and he tells me he heard it so he will take it back in and check some more parts.

One hour later I receive another phone call from my SA this time stating I am SOL. They just realized I have after-market parts and as a result they cannot continue fixing or finding the issue. The SA was totally new so when I tried explaining to her that my springs were installed at the same location all she could do was refute anything I said. Whether or not she understood anything I told her is a different story.

I decide that for the time being, I would ignore the issue as I was under the impression that my job was currently on thin ice. I needed to focus on more important matters and my stress level was so high at the moment I could not make things more complicated or jeopardize my job further by angering management over this issue. Well I ended up getting axed and starting looking for another career.
Over the next month or so I was still under stress as I was unemployed but I decided I would try to alleviate the squeaking as it was still very annoying. I call the service department and speak to one of the managers who I thought would help me since she was normally cool while I was an employee. She looks up the "notes" in they computer records left by the technician. She relays to me what the shop foreman inputted and she tells me verbatim that the squeaking was coming from the shock absorber as a direct result of the aftermarket spring I had on my vehicle. I was a bit confused as the technician originally told me he could not locate the source of the noise and then when we discovered said noise together, I was told, by my SA, that they would not continue searching. I ask the manager if she could do anything for me since the springs were installed by her staff and she says she cannot "go over the shop foreman" and that unless they take off the Dinan springs and re-install factory springs I am out of luck.

I thought I was smart so I called BMW NA customer service and explain my issue. They say they will look into it and call me back within a week. Well guess what?
I receive a phone call the following week from the same rep at BMW stating that BMW NA cannot help as it is explicitly stated in my warranty booklet that such aftermarket parts void my warranty. I bring up the Magnusson Moss warranty act by the FTC and how I am protected but not only was he unaware of such an act but he didn't seem to care.

So here I am sitting at home trying to figure out what the hell to do. I called an attorney and he told me to that dealerships normally make you sign a receipt stating they do not need to cover such problems and he was right. The back of my receipt (and any receipt you receive from the service dept) states that they are not responsible for issues that arise in these scenarios.

For those of you considering taking a Dinan part to be installed at a non-Dinan location, DO NOT DO IT.

To those of you who are knowledgeable about such issues, what options do I have left ?

Last edited by M235eye; 12-01-2015 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
I am assuming that the Dinan warranty will not apply because you did not have a Dinan shop do the work? Have you talked to Dinan about the situation even so? They have a very good reputation for helping out.

I agree this is a crappy situation - seems likely that the dealer did not do the installation correctly, and they are not standing behind their work just because it is not a BMW part.

Ultimately this is why I have very little interest in modifying my cars while they are still under warranty. WAAAY too easy to get into a finger pointing contest, and you will almost always lose.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
I am assuming that the Dinan warranty will not apply because you did not have a Dinan shop do the work? Have you talked to Dinan about the situation even so?

WAAAY too easy to get into a finger pointing contest, and you will almost always lose.
It will not apply.

I never thought about calling Dinan because of your last sentence I quoted you on.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

Why don't you let dinan decide on whether they will cover you? you are basically programming the end result by continuously stating that they will not cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235eye View Post
It will not apply.

I never thought about calling Dinan because of your last sentence I quoted you on.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
I think the better question is, why did they axe you? that doesn't make sense unless you blew up or did something unprofessional? In your employment contract could you not use your service center? seems strange to me they would axe you over this issue...Maybe thats what you need a lawyer for?

The moss act does not void your warranty HOWEVER it does void that components warranty IE your suspension. If you put an exhaust on your car and your engine starts leaking oil they cant deny your claim, however if your exhaust system leaks its not the responsibility of BMW or any manufacture to warrant a part that isn't theirs...

How much did you save?

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #6
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Sorry about what you've been through. My car is all Dinan-ed out but I've resisted non-reversible mods while the car is under warranty. I've been looking at the springs that Dinan just released for the 228i but installation at my Dinan shop (one of the very best on the West coast) is seven hours of labor or around $750.00, I believe. My best suggestion would be for you to find the most reputable indie Dinan shop you can and offer to pay them to fix the issue, reinstalling the springs if necessary. It may end up costing you up to that $750 but at least this way you will not have wasted money on buying the springs and the work will be covered by Dinan's warranty if your BMW dealership balks at doing other warranteed work on any issue it blames on aftermarket suspension components.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ View Post
Why don't you let dinan decide on whether they will cover you? you are basically programming the end result by continuously stating that they will not cover it.
That is a good point and since the other member brought it up, I will definitely contact Dinan this week.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Laws vary from state to state, but I suspect you're on your own.

From the dealership's POV, as a non-certified Dinan dealership, you had them install aftermarket parts, which as far as they're concerned are no different than any other manufacturer's aftermarket parts. And, as such, unless you bought the parts through the installing dealership, it has no interest or obligation in doing anything to correct the problem.

Is it the parts, or the installation? That's a "measuring contest" you probably won't win.

Now, I think it's pretty crappy that they hung you out to dry without making some reasonable effort to determine where the noise is originating (as they were more than happy to take your installation money), but I suspect you're just SOL.

My suggestion would be for you to first contact Dinan with your issue, and depending on what you find out from that contact, perhaps find a reputable independent shop and have someone there determine the cause of the problem. Ifs the parts are defective, get back in touch with Dinan. If the parts are incorrectly installed, hopefully the shop can correct it. Frankly, I'd bet it's an installation issue .vs. defective parts.

Of course, your other option is to request the dealership reinstall the original parts (assuming you still have them in your possession). Maybe they'll do it, maybe not.

I don't see any other alternatives...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 03:22 PM   #9
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
I think the better question is, why did they axe you? that doesn't make sense unless you blew up or did something unprofessional? In your employment contract could you not use your service center? seems strange to me they would axe you over this issue...Maybe thats what you need a lawyer for?

The moss act does not void your warranty HOWEVER it does void that components warranty IE your suspension. If you put an exhaust on your car and your engine starts leaking oil they cant deny your claim, however if your exhaust system leaks its not the responsibility of BMW or any manufacture to warrant a part that isn't theirs...

How much did you save?
My termination had ZERO to do with my service issue. I had no idea my post made people believe they were related issues. I contacted a lawyer just to explore the option of legal action.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #10
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

There has to be a chance that Dinan will warranty the work but only if you pay them to re-do it and thereby take responsibility for it.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #11
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
My termination had ZERO to do with my service issue. I had no idea my post made people believe they were related issues. I contacted a lawyer just to explore the option of legal action.
Such sensitive issues such as job termination/lay off is better kept secret and off the internet...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 06:37 PM   #12
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
That is a good point and since the other member brought it up, I will definitely contact Dinan this week.
Dinan warranty says to obtain service under their warranty bring it to a Dinan dealer.It doesn't mention the installer,just that the part is installed properly.
If it wasn't,no coverage. If it was, coverage.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #13
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous: F22 M235i ; F80 M3 ;

Good luck in getting this resolved.

Interested in outcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #14
DillionDay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

This is a common occurrence in the Jeep world. I've heard a lot of horror stories from Wrangler owners IRT suspensions and lift kits to include MOPAR kits. I wish you luck but you will end up coming out of pocket if you want your issue resolved.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:07 AM   #15
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
I will wager that because the front springs are directional and asymmetric, they are installed upside down putting undue stresses on the shock tower/top hat. You need to KNOW how to look at them to orient them the correct way. If they were a non-Dinan dealer chances are they did not have a Dinan install reference?

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #16
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

One thing I still can't get: if they installed Dinan springs, they must have known they aren't OEM parts (if only by the description in the post above mine). So how come they refuse to stand up b their own job?!!
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #17
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
Such sensitive issues such as job termination/lay off is better kept secret and off the internet...
Why? Were you going to offer him a job and now that you found out he was let go you are rethinking your offer? People are let go all the time...it happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #18
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
One thing I still can't get: if they installed Dinan springs, they must have known they aren't OEM parts (if only by the description in the post above mine). So how come they refuse to stand up b their own job?!!
They are not licensed Dinan installers. They were doing the OP a favor but got in over their heads. They cannot stand behind their work when such work is not properly licensed and unfortunately they put the OP in a position where his BMW warranty became compromised with no Dinan warranty in place to cover the issue.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #19
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
They are not licensed Dinan installers. They were doing the OP a favor but got in over their heads. They cannot stand behind their work when such work is not properly licensed and unfortunately they put the OP in a position where his BMW warranty became compromised with no Dinan warranty in place to cover the issue.
I don't think they felt like they were doing him any favor.

It was just a job to them, not unlike anyone coming in with any other aftermarket part and paying to get it installed.

None of us know all the specifics about this case, but it's pretty clear "doing him a favor" wasn't part of the deal, regardless how it was sold to the OP.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #20
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
I will wager that because the front springs are directional and asymmetric, they are installed upside down putting undue stresses on the shock tower/top hat. You need to KNOW how to look at them to orient them the correct way. If they were a non-Dinan dealer chances are they did not have a Dinan install reference?
OP, this is likely your issue. I experienced the exact same thing with my Dinan springs and the shock tower after it was installed by a local shop . Before I knew this was the cause of the problem I called Dinan and explained that my BMW Service Dept refused to even look at my car since it had Dinan springs (yes it was a piss off) and that I took it to a well known exotic performance shop and had them diagnose that the problem was the shock mount. Dinan was nice enough to cover the cost of the repair under their warranty terms (making me forever a Dinan customer).

A month later I noticed the same clicking noise coming from the left side and inspected it for myself. I realized that the spring on that side was installed upside down. This time I am going to have to pay for the repair myself as it wouldn't be fair to make Dinan pay for it again now that I realize the original installers did it incorrectly.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #21
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

How far away is a Dinan certified shop? Maybe try brining it there?

My bet for what's happening right now is that the tech messed something up and the spring or something isn't in there correctly.

At the end of the day, they're just springs. Get another shop to take it apart and re-do it. Most people can change spring a spring in about an hour for each corner.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 03:58 PM   #22
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
How far away is a Dinan certified shop? Maybe try brining it there?

My bet for what's happening right now is that the tech messed something up and the spring or something isn't in there correctly.

At the end of the day, they're just springs. Get another shop to take it apart and re-do it. Most people can change spring a spring in about an hour for each corner.
I don't know if his LA is Louisanna or Los Angeles, but most of the California BMW dealers are also licensed Dinan dealerships as well.