THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing The BMW Experience Santa Anita

08-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #1
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Did the autocross routine the other day for the 1000 dollar purchase or lease incentive.

Drove the X4 300hp vehicles. fun for the most part but the instructor was irritating to say the least, I'm not a professional driver and don't pretend to be, but to hear the instructor say break break break break break go go go go go go go break break break go go go the whole time it's got to be the most irritating thing I have ever had a passenger in a car do.

By about your 4th run in after about an hour we did a timed event seems if you could break 40 seconds you did pretty good, but the instructor had me looking so far ahead at the same time telling me to break break accelerate accelerate gogogo I wanted to kick him out of the car. I wanted to say dude could we do 1 lap with you not saying a thing I guarantee you I can bring this car around this autocross under 40 seconds but I couldn't and just assumed this was for fun.

I'm sure these instructors are good, but between about six or seven instructors and about 45 minutes of talking not one of them mentioned the proper nine and three hand position on the wheel kind of surprised me.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post
Did the autocross routine the other day for the 1000 dollar purchase or lease incentive.

Drove the X4 300hp vehicles. fun for the most part but the instructor was irritating to say the least, I'm not a professional driver and don't pretend to be, but to hear the instructor say break break break break break go go go go go go go break break break go go go the whole time it's got to be the most irritating thing I have ever had a passenger in a car do.

By about your 4th run in after about an hour we did a timed event seems if you could break 40 seconds you did pretty good, but the instructor had me looking so far ahead at the same time telling me to break break accelerate accelerate gogogo I wanted to kick him out of the car. I wanted to say dude could we do 1 lap with you not saying a thing I guarantee you I can bring this car around this autocross under 40 seconds but I couldn't and just assumed this was for fun.

I'm sure these instructors are good, but between about six or seven instructors and about 45 minutes of talking not one of them mentioned the proper nine and three hand position on the wheel kind of surprised me.
Did you ask him not to talk to you for a few laps?
They are doing it to help you....

And you DO need to look ahead.... once you get to the corner there is no reason to keep looking at the corner and most likely you will go off if you do.... your steering and braking should be already set before you enter the corner and if any of the 2 is not correct once you get there, there is not much you can do either, you should have planned ahead

I suppose they don't mention 9-3 much to not overwhelm you more than you already are with the braking points etc... It is much more important if you brake where you should and look ahead than if your hands are 9-3 or 10-2

Most important tips are:

- get reference points
- look ahead
- break in a straight line
- be smooth with steering
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Did you ask him not to talk to you for a few laps?
They are doing it to help you....

And you DO need to look ahead.... once you get to the corner there is no reason to keep looking at the corner and most likely you will go off if you do.... your steering and braking should be already set before you enter the corner and if any of the 2 is not correct once you get there, there is not much you can do either, you should have planned ahead

I suppose they don't mention 9-3 much to not overwhelm you more than you already are with the braking points etc... It is much more important if you brake where you should and look ahead than if your hands are 9-3 or 10-2

Most important tips are:

- get reference points
- look ahead
- break in a straight line
- be smooth with steering
No I did not want to offend the instructor he for the most part was about my same age. We probably had about 44 years apiece of driving experience between us, and maybe over a couple million driving miles. Anybody can take the BMW Experience autocross as long as your 21 years of age with at least one day of experience in driving in the real world. These guys are probably gun shy to the beginning driver and just don't want to take chances in a parking lot course of cones.

I've had 8 BMW's since 2001, have taken the M class in SC (no that doesnt make me an expert) other than my f82 M4 with 16g miles today on it, my last M car was an 08 e60 m5. Drove it 90g miles and beat the shit out of it with no mechanical issues by the way. Recently took the Thermal beat the shit out of their cars day for 6 hours of hard stupid driving. All M cars.

Still again not professing to be a professional by no means, but the instructors could take that into consideration when getting to know you in a few minutes. Especially when I found my self coasting while still in the braking zone on a few of the corners he was saying brake brake brake, and yes I realize that after the braking zone comes the coasting zone then the acceleration zone, easy shit in my opinion.

Your mention of the importance of looking ahead is true, but you mentioned "keep looking at the corner" the corner for the most part is something that i would say you NEVER want to do since before you round the apex your eyes have been ahead for some time now, to be exact from what I know, ahead far enough to almost the point of the track out or acceleration point.

Any class I have ever been to, BMW sponsored types only, almost the very first thing they specify, is the 9 and 3 hand position. But to leave out is like instructing you how to play golf, and leaving out the golf grip which for the most part is the most important part.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Those guys are used to everyone trying to kill them. They just want to get through the day. Your attitude is right no need to bother them, just get it done and leave.

I had a similar experience with a Porsche event. The guy got out to use the restroom when I got in, I turned off all the nanny's, and he was like, we cant drive it like that. I said no worries.

Then he was pissed that I was driving one handed while looking at him. I said, well if we leave all the nanny's on there is not much for me to worry about anyway. I drove two of the ten laps and was not really interested in anymore. Told the guy let some other people drive.

These events are not meant for people with experience.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ya pprana know what ya mean, now that I think about it they all seemed like the retired type of experienced drivers, wasn't one guy under 50. So respect em, and get the hell out. BTW, these drive events for BMW only require you to just show up, sign in and leave for the bucks, you don't have to drive shit.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No I did not want to offend the instructor he for the most part was about my same age. We probably had about 44 years apiece of driving experience between us, and maybe over a couple million driving miles. Anybody can take the BMW Experience autocross as long as your 21 years of age with at least one day of experience in driving in the real world. These guys are probably gun shy to the beginning driver and just don't want to take chances in a parking lot course of cones.

I've had 8 BMW's since 2001, have taken the M class in SC (no that doesnt make me an expert) other than my f82 M4 with 16g miles today on it, my last M car was an 08 e60 m5. Drove it 90g miles and beat the shit out of it with no mechanical issues by the way. Recently took the Thermal beat the shit out of their cars day for 6 hours of hard stupid driving. All M cars.

Still again not professing to be a professional by no means, but the instructors could take that into consideration when getting to know you in a few minutes. Especially when I found my self coasting while still in the braking zone on a few of the corners he was saying brake brake brake, and yes I realize that after the braking zone comes the coasting zone then the acceleration zone, easy shit in my opinion.

Your mention of the importance of looking ahead is true, but you mentioned "keep looking at the corner" the corner for the most part is something that i would say you NEVER want to do since before you round the apex your eyes have been ahead for some time now, to be exact from what I know, ahead far enough to almost the point of the track out or acceleration point.

Any class I have ever been to, BMW sponsored types only, almost the very first thing they specify, is the 9 and 3 hand position. But to leave out is like instructing you how to play golf, and leaving out the golf grip which for the most part is the most important part.
I said "once you get to the corner there is no reason to keep looking at the corner" meaning corner as in apex....

most people when you get to the apex, they are still looking at it instead of the track out point...

when you are at the turn in you should be looking at the apex
when you are at the apex you should be looking at the track out
when you are at the track out you should be looking at the straight or the next turn in....

I'm no professional driver either but that's what I learned
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I did have over 100 moving violations though from the time I was 16 to 26, you would have thought I'd be a race car driver or an attorney one day, lol.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I did have over 100 moving violations though from the time I was 16 to 26, you would have thought I'd be a race car driver or an attorney one day, lol.

you like to live life dangerously
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #9
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:

you like to live life dangerously
Lets give each other a couple appreciates and get the hell out of here!

Appreciate 0