Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > just lovely

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-03-2015, 12:54 AM   #1
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

just lovely

Just lovely

Counted threads as I do after every alignment and they are dead even and exactly the same day of alignment. Camber has not changed either.

Alignment was "0" total toe and -2.0 camber.

Guaranteed it never was, last alignment was 4 months ago and have not hit anything.

You can clearly see these front tires had a lot of life but now are garbage. I am sure alignment place will say camber did it.
Attached Images

JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

When setting front 0 toe static it will result in a (toe out ) negative toe while under power and braking, you may want to adjust it slight (toe in) positive to account for this.

It is also possible your bushings may be a bit worn out allowing for excessive negative toe under power and braking resulting in the above.

Is this the case for both sides in the front?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David0ff View Post
When setting front 0 toe static it will result in a (toe out ) negative toe while under power and braking, you may want to adjust it slight (toe in) positive to account for this.

It is also possible your bushings may be a bit worn out allowing for excessive negative toe under power and braking resulting in the above.

Is this the case for both sides in the front?
I have ran 0 toe before and it was no issue, bushings are in perfect shape. You would want "toe in" never "toe out"
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
David0ff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
I have ran 0 toe before and it was no issue, bushings are in perfect shape. You would want "toe in" never "toe out"
Precisely, but it seems to be what is happening here.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Precisely, but it seems to be what is happening here.
you may have a point here. You think when going around corner it is pushing toe out? So in theory asking for a bit of "toe in" will result in 0 toe from flexing from acceleration and going around corners?

I used to have alignment set to .03-.06 per side for a "total toe" of .06-.012
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
David0ff
Canada
Rep

Yeah I think that is exaclty what is happening, the stock bushings allow for some small play so setting toe to 0 will essentially be slight toe out while driving.

In a corner you are essentially under steering the front, either slightly or a lot, only you can know that, and the front insides, of the inside wheel are scrubbing hard, also due to camber and you can end up with what you have above.

Also in a straight line, under power and under braking your front wheels open up like she wants it
if you close them up a bit in static alignment you can essentially have a 0 toe under power/braking but its hard to fully judge the effect of toe adjustment in corers as it varies greatly with the steering angle and the type of cornering you do(slow/fast).

One more thing is tire shapes, some are more rounded, some more squared off , for same size/ratio, so it will take some time to fully optimize a good alignment. there will always be a trade off

But it sux to wake up to what you posted above, good tires with destroyed insides... happened to me many times
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
you may have a point here. You think when going around corner it is pushing toe out? So in theory asking for a bit of "toe in" will result in 0 toe from flexing from acceleration and going around corners?

I used to have alignment set to .03-.06 per side for a "total toe" of .06-.012
either way, in or out, a tiny bit of toe or flex out of "zero" isn't going to cause greatly accelerated uneven wear

closer to .5" and I'd believe it, but not at such low levels
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #8
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

I have the same thing, and yeah alignment was done did not hit any major potholes, suspension was checked and seems solid. It is just something about these cars which destroy front tires. Let me know if you figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #9
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Quote:
Yeah I think that is exaclty what is happening, the stock bushings allow for some small play so setting toe to 0 will essentially be slight toe out while driving.

In a corner you are essentially under steering the front, either slightly or a lot, only you can know that, and the front insides, of the inside wheel are scrubbing hard, also due to camber and you can end up with what you have above.

Also in a straight line, under power and under braking your front wheels open up like she wants it
if you close them up a bit in static alignment you can essentially have a 0 toe under power/braking but its hard to fully judge the effect of toe adjustment in corers as it varies greatly with the steering angle and the type of cornering you do(slow/fast).

One more thing is tire shapes, some are more rounded, some more squared off , for same size/ratio, so it will take some time to fully optimize a good alignment. there will always be a trade off

But it sux to wake up to what you posted above, good tires with destroyed insides... happened to me many times
understeering means you're loading up the outside tire under compression, which will normally wear the outside MUCH more than the inside

inside wear is from aggressive toe and camber
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
David0ff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc535i View Post
understeering means you're loading up the outside tire under compression, which will normally wear the outside MUCH more than the inside

inside wear is from aggressive toe and camber
Under steering does not mean that at all

I can under steer with 0 contact on the outside part of the front tire if I have some ricer style camber.

Under steer means you are not following the direction of the tires 100%, which is almost always the case unless you are going slow.

When you are in a corner you always under steering to some extent, pushing the front, your car never follows the path of the tires unless you are turning at 30-40 km/h and even then

While turning you put greater pressure on the outside of the outside tire and on the inside of the inside tire, unless your car is specifically aligned for that particulate corner at that particular speed in which case you will have even contact on outside tire while scrubbing only the inside of the inside tire, which should almost be off the ground

But talking about street cars only, it seems that for the situation above there is a slight toe/camber out of spec either static or in motion
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #11
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

Did OP ever get this resolved?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #12
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub View Post
Did OP ever get this resolved?
Oh yes, the alignment place I went to must have been on every drug known to man!

My front toe was

Left front: 0.38
Right front: -0.12

I asked for "0" toe or slightly tied in!
Appreciate 0