THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB 1st BMW 1st Service

07-31-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
Don228i
Australia
Rep
Drives: 228i AW

1st BMW 1st Service

My first BMW and I'm bringing it in for its first service in a couple of weeks, just under 6000km after 1 year.
Scratch 1 of my rims against the kerb a few weeks back, called them up since I have rim + tire protection, but they say that it doesn't cover scratches and bruises, they'll have a look at it anyway when I bring it in for my service. Any suggestion on how I can get them to replace or repair it for me ?

Also, what can I expect from my service ? What can I get them to change under their service programme, it's not the free service, I paid in advance for a 5 year service and maintainence plan. Changing the wipers etc etc ?

Any advice will be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

The only thing I can comment about is the "rim & tyre" protection is just for something very serious... Blowout on the tyres or puncture. In terms of the rims it doesn't cover minor damages only major ones like cracked or warped.

For me it's a rot. Unless you live in a place with potholes everywhere, and risk of major damage to your tyres and rim are high? It's unnecessary as minor rim damage repair costs aren't that high or replacing a single tyre compared to the premium of the insurance
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I agree. The tire and rim insurance is usually a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Don228i
Australia
Rep

Too late now. Didn't know better. Pre-paid for 3 years. Highly unlikely that I'll get any serious damage on them. Touch wood!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Your first service is a minor service, so do not expect them to do much. They won't be changing your oil, filter etc. The service is very much inspection at this early stage. Check your service log after the service. On the issue of post-purchase plans like rims, tyres, service plans etc, do not purchase them in future. They should be negotiated and included in car purchase price in first instance. Free service has been a norm for a few years now. If you are fussy about your paint work, tell them not to wash/clean your car. Even the best BMW dealers have shonky wash clothes pads etc. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don228i View Post
Too late now. Didn't know better. Pre-paid for 3 years. Highly unlikely that I'll get any serious damage on them. Touch wood!
in the US you can cancel and get a pro-rated money back....
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
in the US you can cancel and get a pro-rated money back....
this is a good point. no reason why OP shouldn't try to cancel and get his money back
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #8
Don228i
Australia
Rep

So I might be able to get some money back ? I'm going to talk to them when I bring my car in for the service, see how much I can get back, maybe it can go towards a new spoiler 😀.

So for my first service I don't even get an oil change ? That sucks seeing that I paid of these services -.-
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #9
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don228i View Post
So I might be able to get some money back ? I'm going to talk to them when I bring my car in for the service, see how much I can get back, maybe it can go towards a new spoiler 😀.

So for my first service I don't even get an oil change ? That sucks seeing that I paid of these services -.-
In the US you can get a full refund within 30 days
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
Don228i
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
In the US you can get a full refund within 30 days
I'm way past my cooling off period. It's been almost 1 year. Hopefully I might get 2/3 of the money back.

Do you think I can pay for the oil change on top of my free service ?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #11
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

My rule of thumb when in the finance department for contract signing, I warn the CA, "let finance know that I want nothing added to my contract"! They still seem to persistently urge that I buy certain things and how stupid it is if I fail to, honestly the absolute worse part of the car transaction is the grind in the finance department, why such a grind?

After 10 or so Bmw's none of what I could have bought would have ever done me any good.

I also might add while im talking about the finance department, I have never seen a finance person explain why a cap reduction on a lease is one of the dumbest things you can do, and they make zero on the cap reduction funds. Go figure, its lost funds forever.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0