F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Advise needed on MPPK and MPE setups. Is it worth it in the end?
ARMA SPEED

07-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Advise needed on MPPK and MPE setups. Is it worth it in the end?

I am getting a really good deal on MPPK and MPE. Total parts and labor is coming close to $3K + tax. I was just wondering if its worth to shell out the extra dough to get these kits? Is it really worth it?

I have been reading about MPPK/MPE on the forums and here are my observations. Please let me know if you have any experience/feedback.

1. Some dealers tend to screw up the new DME installation. Hence leading to back and forth dealer visits and extra headache. This is because the DME setup is new and not many technicians are trained. Is this true?
2. Some have reported that they only feel the power/torque difference when flooring the car (i.e. when they try to extract maximum output). Otherwise its almost the same drive as pre-MPPK/MPE setup.
3. Not really sure how BMW engine reliabitliy will get impacted. I plan to keep the car for 6-7 years.
4. Does the MPPK help the lag? You expect to go in a corner slightly slow and then exit out fast. But at times the 335i feels too laggy and it takes a moment for it wake up.
5. The default power and torque units are in HP and lb-ft. But post-MPPK/MPE installation they change to KW and Nm.

I would only like to do the installation if it adds to the joy of driving without impacting reliablity. I know it won't turn into M3 or M4 beast but at least the MPPK should help the car to be a little zippy and reduce the lag.

I own a 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport (more details on my signature).
2009 BMW 328i

Last edited by buckybadger; 07-21-2015 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i, X3M40i, X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2014 BMW 435i  [10.00]
- $3k is really high.
- 35hp, nice burble, smooth delivery. Super reliable. Not hugely noticeable if you are already used to power. The 335 m-sport should have come that way IMO. There are a ton of other options of course.
- Good sound from MPE once broken in.
- Turbo lag is not really an issue unless you are talking about trans kick down delay? That trans is really fast. In Sport mode you shouldn't be experiencing any lag, especially if you are manually shifting and already in the proper gear.
- Yes there was a couple reports of bad software installations early on.
- MPPK is a very mild tune (the least aggressive of all available tunes AFAIK) and the general consensus is that it isn't stressing the turbo or other drivetrain parts much. Many agree that you will want to change your plugs and oil a little more often that the schedule says.
For your stated goal of just wanting a little more zip while maintaining reliability... that would fit the bill just fine.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

the way i see it is that you're paying for warranty retention over modifications. is the warranty worth trading for a few extra hp? only the driver can answer that. in most cases the MPPK would offer more than enough and achieve the goals of most drivers but if you're looking to get the most out of your vehicle this isn't it. (by my research and understanding YMMV)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83883 View Post
- $3k is really high.
- 35hp, nice burble, smooth delivery. Super reliable. Not hugely noticeable if you are already used to power. The 335 m-sport should have come that way IMO. There are a ton of other options of course.
- Turbo lag is not really an issue unless you are talking about trans kick down delay? That trans is really fast. In Sport mode you shouldn't be experiencing any lag, especially if you are manually shifting and already in the proper gear.
- MPPK is a very mild tune (the least aggressive of all available tunes AFAIK) and the general consensus is that it isn't stressing the turbo or other drivetrain parts much. Many agree that you will want to change your plugs and oil a little more often that the schedule says.
For your stated goal of just wanting a little more zip while maintaining reliability... that would fit the bill just fine.
Good luck!
Thanks a lot for the detailed response. I was under the impression that I'm getting a good deal. Here's my break down.

MPPK: $1560.00 plus $330.00 labor
MPE: $1200.00 plus $165.00 labor
Chrome exhaust tips: $238.00 for both ($119.00 each)

Total: $3,493 + tax
Total with 15% discount: $2,969 + tax (This is what I'll be paying).

Glad I checked here before making the move. Where did you buy your parts from? Please, if you don't mind sharing.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
fscuderia23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i EBII + PPK/MPE

I just did this setup as well (2014 335i) and think its well worth the money. 35hp and 30lb-ft torque may not sound like much but you can definitely feel the difference. Each mode feels a bit more powerful and ppk actually made eco-pro bearable hahaha. (You'll certainly hear it at the very least… those burbles are amazing )
While the price is a bit steep if you want warranty and peace of mind in general, this is the safest way to go; if you need a bit more convincing in terms of reliability, the m135i and m235i are pretty much running the exact same setup enginewise, so it must be fine.
My installation at Crevier BMW (in OC, about an hour away from SD if you wanna go there) went flawlessly, and they completed the install and my 10k service within the afternoon. No weird iDrive settings or unit issues to report, but some of my presets did get deleted which wasn't too big of a deal, and if you do come across unit issues as you've mentioned, they are all interchangeable through the iDrive settings menu.
All in all, worth the upgrade, and I feel like this is how our 335s really should have come this way from the factory.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #6
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT, 2024 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscuderia23 View Post
I just did this setup as well (2014 335i) and think its well worth the money. 35hp and 30lb-ft torque may not sound like much but you can definitely feel the difference. Each mode feels a bit more powerful and ppk actually made eco-pro bearable hahaha. (You'll certainly hear it at the very least… those burbles are amazing )
While the price is a bit steep if you want warranty and peace of mind in general, this is the safest way to go; if you need a bit more convincing in terms of reliability, the m135i and m235i are pretty much running the exact same setup enginewise, so it must be fine.
My installation at Crevier BMW (in OC, about an hour away from SD if you wanna go there) went flawlessly, and they completed the install and my 10k service within the afternoon. No weird iDrive settings or unit issues to report, but some of my presets did get deleted which wasn't too big of a deal, and if you do come across unit issues as you've mentioned, they are all interchangeable through the iDrive settings menu.
All in all, worth the upgrade, and I feel like this is how our 335s really should have come this way from the factory.

+1... Except Eco-pro and Comfort are still unbearable.
      07-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Yes. Why? Warranty remains intact and resale preservation vs an aftermarket tune.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i, X3M40i, X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2014 BMW 435i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post
Thanks a lot for the detailed response. I was under the impression that I'm getting a good deal. Here's my break down.

MPPK: $1560.00 plus $330.00 labor
MPE: $1200.00 plus $165.00 labor
Chrome exhaust tips: $238.00 for both ($119.00 each)

Total: $3,493 + tax
Total with 15% discount: $2,969 + tax (This is what I'll be paying).

Glad I checked here before making the move. Where did you buy your parts from? Please, if you don't mind sharing.
Check with Brian at Sun Motor Cars BMW for excellent BMW parts pricing. BKeller @ sunmotorcars.com
A few months ago the MPE was around $900 with tips and the MPPK was $1190.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
fshubert
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83883 View Post
- $3k is really high.
Good luck!
+1 Having the MPPK and MPE is worth it!
      07-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

To OP, my choice probably will be(if not already port installed to save labor charge) to skip MPE and MPPK, and put the $3k aside for the next car, maybe a F80?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post
4. Does the MPPK help the lag? You expect to go in a corner slightly slow and then exit out fast. But at times the 335i feels too laggy and it takes a moment for it wake up.
That might be traction control and not lag

I think those are good parts if you are keeping the car

Agree with the others you can probably shave a few hundred of each part. I was getting quotes for around $1200 including install and tax a few months ago
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #12
Moopy94
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Xdrive With MPPK

I got mine installed in April on my 335. MPPK with Install was $1,700 in Minnesota. I did get a $500 credit for "BMW Accessories" with my car purchase so it was $1,200 out of my pocket.

And it is 100% worth it to get the MPPK. I had a 2013 328 and I put a Burger Stage 1 on it. Totally happy with it, but in the middle of winter taking the thing on and off for service was a bit chilly here in Minnesota. Plus I always had the warranty concern in the back of my mind.

The MPPK definitely ups the fun level of the car and the throttle response is much, much better.

Unless you need to save the few hundred dollars (you could save shopping for the best price) for food, diapers, or your electric bill just get it, enjoy it, and don't sweat a few hundred dollars on a $55,000 car in my opinion.

100% totally worth the cost for the MPPK.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 01:27 AM   #13
Snap0rz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 335i

I just got the MPPK for $1350 + 80 labor for install and MPE for $1041 + 160 for install.

Should have both installed by Monday. Can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 01:58 AM   #14
alex75
Rep
Drives: 435i

435i F32 PPk- Best thing I ever did!

This is a run I did in my 435i (F32) with MPPK:

I installed the PPK when the car had 1000km and now I am on about 10,000km and so it has been run-in properly. My 80 kph to 200 kph is around 11.9 seconds making it much quicker than standard. Also this run was done at an altitude of 1,753 metres (5,751 ft) above sea level. I would say that the 250kw that BMW are claiming is actually closer to 260kw.

To all the 435i owners out there, get the PPK it is the best money you will ever spend!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 02:05 AM   #15
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Thanks, how is everyone getting good deals on these kits? Are you guys buying the parts through bmw dealers or from another vendor? Where are you guys doing the installation? Also can I keep my the original/stock exhaust after swapping with MPE?

Thanks!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 02:20 AM   #16
Jera_Jakerz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex75 View Post
To all the 435i owners out there, get the PPK it is the best money you will ever spend!
Bold statement sir. . .

To OP. MPPK is BMW. Basically you are paying a lot more, even at a discount, then off brands can provide. Granted this takes a lot of worry away with the whole warranty/dealership factor, but plane and simple your paying a lot for what it gets you, that does not mean you are paying more than what it is worth - only you can decide that.

If you are looking for more hp/$ this is obviously not the mod/tune for you.

If you are looking for best quality/$ this depends on your opinion of Dinan, AC Schnitz, Hartge and others that (depending on where you live) can still give you the warranty and tune.

As far as the exhaust goes, this is also personal opinion on sound. Personally I love Akra (too pricey and they pissed me off when they were unclear on price and pieces), Dinan (still pricey), AWE (still pricey), and MPE (didn't care for the tips). Pricey though is just my opinion, the catless DP gets me 90% of what I want it to sound like, so 1k-3k more is not really worth the next 10% for perfection.
JB4 Stage 2 | aFe Magnum FORCE Intake System DRY | ER Chargepipe | ER CATLESS Downpipe | ATM Intercooler | BMS 2.3 Gal Meth Inj kit | Bilstein B14 | OEM Slotted/Dimpeled front rotors | Cool Carbon brakes | Go Fast Bit DV+ | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure inlet
Appreciate 2
8737D0.00
      07-24-2015, 02:45 AM   #17
alex75
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jera_Jakerz View Post
Bold statement sir. . .

To OP. MPPK is BMW. Basically you are paying a lot more, even at a discount, then off brands can provide. Granted this takes a lot of worry away with the whole warranty/dealership factor, but plane and simple your paying a lot for what it gets you, that does not mean you are paying more than what it is worth - only you can decide that.

If you are looking for more hp/$ this is obviously not the mod/tune for you.

If you are looking for best quality/$ this depends on your opinion of Dinan, AC Schnitz, Hartge and others that (depending on where you live) can still give you the warranty and tune.

As far as the exhaust goes, this is also personal opinion on sound. Personally I love Akra (too pricey and they pissed me off when they were unclear on price and pieces), Dinan (still pricey), AWE (still pricey), and MPE (didn't care for the tips). Pricey though is just my opinion, the catless DP gets me 90% of what I want it to sound like, so 1k-3k more is not really worth the next 10% for perfection.
I guess if you are willing to risk your warranty, there may be other good options out there. My point was that the MPPK greatly improves your performance and sound, and I would be surprised (and obviously this is just my opinion) if anybody who paid the money for it regrets doing so.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 02:50 AM   #18
Jera_Jakerz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
I guess if you are willing to risk your warranty, there may be other good options out there. My point was that the MPPK greatly improves your performance and sound, and I would be surprised (and obviously this is just my opinion) if anybody who paid the money for it regrets doing so.
Anyone out there who asks, "will this work with MPPK as well" shows a sign of regret.
JB4 Stage 2 | aFe Magnum FORCE Intake System DRY | ER Chargepipe | ER CATLESS Downpipe | ATM Intercooler | BMS 2.3 Gal Meth Inj kit | Bilstein B14 | OEM Slotted/Dimpeled front rotors | Cool Carbon brakes | Go Fast Bit DV+ | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure inlet
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #19
BMHunden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i

Quote:
This is a run I did in my 435i (F32) with MPPK:

I installed the PPK when the car had 1000km and now I am on about 10,000km and so it has been run-in properly. My 80 kph to 200 kph is around 11.9 seconds making it much quicker than standard. Also this run was done at an altitude of 1,753 metres (5,751 ft) above sea level. I would say that the 250kw that BMW are claiming is actually closer to 260kw.

Just a shout out to another dude who drives a 435i with MPPK in SOUTH AFRICA

From the altitude, I'd guess you're in Joburg.

Let's not start reprimanding these cheap Americans for their complaints regarding the price of the kit, though. I paid R21k for mine ... twice ... on both my first and second 435's ...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #20
WP7778
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i

Quote:

Agreed!

to OP: I've had my mppk for almost 2 years now, no regrets whatsoever. Didn't want to go the jb tune route just yet because of warranty, so why not step up to this in the mean time?

also, for your information as well...
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...k+dyno+results
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #21
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
MPPK is an OEM BMW "accessory" and is worth something at sale/trade-in time. I ordered my car with MPE and black grilles (a package available for 2013 MY) for $1300 installed. MPPK came out after my car was delivered, so I bought it for $965 from Tischer BMW (getbmwparts.com), had the dealer install the software for $100, and DIY'd the engine cover, lower airbox, and sticker/decals (the template for placement was included). I found a complete set of instructions published by BMW with illustrations, etc., and it took very little time (less than an hour) to do everything other than the software. The red envelope in the kit contains a key code for the dealer to get the software flash to download and install into the ECU; there's no real "labor" involved other than connecting the GT-1 to the car and initiating the process. So, $1100 for MPPK installed, and $1300 for MPE and black grilles totals $2400 installed; probably a little less without the black grilles.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #22
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

What about the MPPK with the stock exhaust (no MPE upgrade)?
How would that work?
Appreciate 0