E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > How much to expect from adding tweeters (base stereo)

07-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
Heylel
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D Touring (E91, MY11)

How much to expect from adding tweeters (base stereo)

Hi,

I've been an avid lurker for sometime but only just signed up. Since getting my 320D Touring (10.2010, MY2011) I've been slightly annoyed with the dull sound (like so many others) - so I have read a fairly substantial number of posts here to learn a bit about what the options are

I have base stereo, Professional Nav (CIC).

While I am intrigued by the many impressive upgrades people have done, I also recognize that I am a complete beginner when it comes to wiring and car audio. I am by no means an audiophile but more a casual listener - so I was looking to start by upgrading to actually having tweeters.

I have the PNs for sails with grilles (the 201 and 202s), foam (though I plan on skimping on that and reuse what is in there already as has been advised in several threads). I am however unsure which tweeter to get - there's two different ones.
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E9...ker/#9142512_1

65139217909 Harman Kardon tweeter
65136964012 Hifi Tweeter

Incidentally, if I were to progress after this I would likely opt for something like the MB200.3 package, an MB Nano amplifier and a PnP harness from Technic, meaning that I would lose the OEM tweeters again.

Any advice from someone who has heard these tweeters in real life? Is there something to be said for buying used so they don't need breaking in - or does that not apply to tweeters?

Cheers,

H.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

consider genuine bmw alpine kit
it will provide tweeters, upgraded mids and simple amplifier with plug and play upgrade for stereo (base)
      07-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

It will make it worse due to the eq from the head unit

Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
Heylel
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Hi ctuna, what will make it worse - the Alpine kit?

If the head unit is recoded to hifi, that will remedy it, correct?

Cheers,

H.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you recode to Hi Fi you will need an amp

If you recode to Hi Fi you will need an amp.
(Your statement was if I add tweeters not saying what else you would
do implying just add tweeters.)
then you can add tweeters and expect them to sound good.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1411521234

Base System Upgrades
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445266
http://www.monsteraudiodesign.co.uk/
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634957
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1003810
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822366
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post16679904
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581379
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451941
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540954
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=Dotech
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495855
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494299
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...morel-jbl.html
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post16679904
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=amp+upgrade
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=550771

Last edited by ctuna; 07-15-2015 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 02:45 AM   #6
ckegg
台灣人
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 Silver

I have base audio, and I just added HIFI tweeters ONLY recently and it brings up upper frequencies of course. While the HU is heavily eq on base audio, it actually makes the high pitch sound too much so I have to lower down treble setting a little bit. Overall is good upgrade with small amount of money (I got both trims and tweeters from ebay for cheap).

I will do alpine kit next month and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

EQ on your head unit is shaped like a smile (boosted bass, no midrange, and boosted highs due to not having tweeters). you'd need to parallel the new tweeters off the midrange, and add a capacitor for a high pass filter. doing that brings down the load the amp in the head unit sees, which isn't good. i would imagine that the highs would actually be too high. your best bet is to re-code to HiFi and add an amp, then do your speaker upgrades. if you don't, you'd need to tap factory speaker level signals, input them to a DSP, flatten out the EQ and then output that to a new amp (or use a Helix PP82 which is a DSP and 8 channel amp in a package size that fits where the factory amp would be in the driver's side quarter panel.
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Adding tweeters alone can be done but you'll want capacitors or a crossover to high pass them for treble only and protect the tweeters.

A) I suggest at LEAST getting a mid/tweeter component set. Will sound much better and easy to install since you'd already have the door card removed for the tweeter.

B) you could then manually turn down the treble to balance the factory EQ, but I'd strongly suggest you recode to hifi and install an amp. This will make all the other speakers sound better too, and make future upgrades (under seat woofers, trunk sub) that much easier down the line

Good luck.
      07-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
Heylel
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

All, thanks for all the responses!

Considering the input, the most sensible route seems the Alpine kit. Favourable feedback on sound quality if HU is recoded to Hifi, delivered with harness and a lot of guides available on forums so that even a newbie like me should be able to pull it off if carefully planned.

I read a thread by makkan where he suggested that the underseat subs should be replaced with L7 subs and the rear midranges should be replaced as well. That made for the best end result.

I think I might go at this in two steps - Alpine kit and recode first, then subs and midranges later.

However, would be nice to be able to keep an eye out for the right parts.

Re subs:
I haven't been able to find L7 subs (used, brand new is a bit too pricey for my wallet) within Europe (mainly been looking on eBay) so are there any suitable alternatives that would work well with the Alpine set?

Re midranges:
Would the best bet be a set of the same Alpine midranges that goes into the front doors? Or is there a better alternative?

Cheers,

H.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #10
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I would go to a local sound shop that does BMW upgrades, listen to some options (Focal, Jehnert, etc.) and then decide. Use the forum to find options and use your ears to decide what to buy! Check out the Jehnert loaded doorboards. Very inexpensive considering what you get.
      07-22-2015, 11:11 PM   #11
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
If you want to stick to OEM speaker locations without losing your door storage, the jenhert 3-way kit (flatline?) is a drop in replacement that gives you underseat woofers, front mids, and front tweeters.

Remember, if you code to hifi, you'll need an amp too (which you will not have if you're starting with base audio).
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 05:18 AM   #12
Heylel
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
I would go to a local sound shop that does BMW upgrades, listen to some options (Focal, Jehnert, etc.) and then decide. Use the forum to find options and use your ears to decide what to buy! Check out the Jehnert loaded doorboards. Very inexpensive considering what you get.
Although the Jehnerts panels look very nice and not at all out of place, I would be hard pressed to give up the door storage (it's not like there's a lot of it to start with) - and I am afraid that there aren't any local soundshops that carry Jehnert :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
If you want to stick to OEM speaker locations without losing your door storage, the jenhert 3-way kit (flatline?) is a drop in replacement that gives you underseat woofers, front mids, and front tweeters.

Remember, if you code to hifi, you'll need an amp too (which you will not have if you're starting with base audio).
If I went for the Jehnert kit, I would be without a harness, which is a bit of a pain to me as I'd be paying through the nose in customs and import tax to get a Techic harness shipped here. The harness is very conveniently delivered with the Alpine kit.

I am aware that recode to hifi means amp - the front tweeters, midranges and under seats will be driven off the amp, while the two rear midranges will be running off of the HU (now flat EQ because of the recode). It is in that scenario that I am wondering which replacement for the rear midranges to get?

-------
Just to sum up, what I was envisioning was this:

Phase 1:
A. Alpine retrofit kit, meaning:
- Tweeter installation in front doors
- Midrange replacement in front doors
- Amp installation in boot
- Harness installation
B. Recode HU to Hifi

Phase 2:
C. Drop-in replacement of
- Under seat subs (but what to get that would work well with the Alpine amp and overall sound now that L7s are hard to find?)
- Rear midranges (but what to get that would be balanced well (sound wise) with the rest of the setup, since these would be running off the HU which is now recoded and has another output power?)

Cheers,

H.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #13
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
If you recode to hifi, you won't be able to drive any speakers directly from the HU. Even the rear speakers will need to be amped.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #14
Heylel
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
If you recode to hifi, you won't be able to drive any speakers directly from the HU. Even the rear speakers will need to be amped.
Eh? What you say makes sense in the way that the coding would affect all outputs from the HU.

What confuses me is that in the install thread by makkan00 I referenced earlier (found the link: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=alpine), he is adamant about recoding to hifi and yet there is no mention of output power to rear midranges being an issue - and there isn't indication that the rear midranges are powered by the amp. Which would also require midification to the provided harness, I would think?

What am I missing?

Cheers,

H.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #15
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heylel View Post
Eh? What you say makes sense in the way that the coding would affect all outputs from the HU.

What confuses me is that in the install thread by makkan00 I referenced earlier (found the link: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=alpine), he is adamant about recoding to hifi and yet there is no mention of output power to rear midranges being an issue - and there isn't indication that the rear midranges are powered by the amp. Which would also require midification to the provided harness, I would think?

What am I missing?

Cheers,

H.
It's possible I am wrong, but I always thought that was the case. Although I started with base audio, I knew I would amp all speakers, and ended up changing my HU anyway, so can't reference anything from experience except what I remember reading before I did any of my audio work.

Check the stickies in this forum, I'm sure the info is clearly listed there. I still strongly believe that recoding to Hifi requires all speakers to be amped. Doesn't the OEM amp in a car with Hifi audio power the rear speakers too? I think it does.

Only difference between the front and rear HU outputs I can remember is that the rear outputs are high pass filtered, so you can't tap into them for a sub signal.

Good luck and let me know if I'm wrong! (or right )
      07-30-2015, 07:03 AM   #16
Heylel
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
It's possible I am wrong, but I always thought that was the case. Although I started with base audio, I knew I would amp all speakers, and ended up changing my HU anyway, so can't reference anything from experience except what I remember reading before I did any of my audio work.
Have now read up on the subject. If the HU is recoded to hifi, it will affect output for all 4 channels. Rear midranges will, at best, serve as backfill to the front soundstage - they can still be driven by the HU, but won't output anything significant. However, the general consensus is that this is not a problem for this level of upgrade.

Quote:
Check the stickies in this forum, I'm sure the info is clearly listed there. I still strongly believe that recoding to Hifi requires all speakers to be amped. Doesn't the OEM amp in a car with Hifi audio power the rear speakers too? I think it does.
As above, if you want anything significant from the rear speakers, yes. But for this kind of upgrade, not relevant. If you want all four midranges outputting equally, the Alpine kit is not for you.

Quote:
Only difference between the front and rear HU outputs I can remember is that the rear outputs are high pass filtered, so you can't tap into them for a sub signal.
This is also what I've found out (through reading), so you were right.

I have made up my mind and ordered the Alpine kit (-268, the non-splice version) and have a couple of L7 underseats on their way to me from the US (had a very hard time finding these in Europe, at least at a reasonable price - including shipping and tax they'll run me up $260). Got the sails and foam inserts the other day, so that's taken care of. So while I wait, I will work on getting the coding environment up and running :-)

Cheers,

H.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #17
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Some of us regard the rear speakers as useless.
The stereo purists here.
Indeed one of the most respected install shops use to say
"Rear Speakers are a Communist Plot"
Also I thought there were two versions of the Alpine kit
one that required coding and one that didn't.

Last edited by ctuna; 07-30-2015 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 11:25 AM   #18
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
I'm guessing the many of you who disregard the rear speakers (and even disconnect them in many cases) either have coupes or are otherwise unconcerned about potential back seat passengers
I often carry passengers in the backseat of my sedan, and like to provide them with a nice balanced audio experience while seated there. For me rears are needed for this, otherwise the bass is too overpowering with no mids/highs close to their ears to balance the sound.

I still need to upgrade my rears, but even the base audio stocks are better than nothing (maybe barely)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 02:59 AM   #19
ckegg
台灣人
United_States
Rep

I am done with the Alpine upgrade and so far the outcome is satisfied.

The rear speakers are powered by the HU and much weaker than front speakers after coding the car with $676. I won't touch the rear until I get another set of upgrade speakers and another amp to drive them.

The difference between by just adding tweeters to the front with base audio and Alpine upgrade, Alpine upgrade is the way to go. It sounds much wider and no mixing up on high and mid freqs. The base sub are bit weaker to be handled by Alpine amp, so getting L7 subs or SWS-8 may be an option.
Attached Images

Last edited by ckegg; 08-02-2015 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #20
Heylel
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Hey ckegg,

thanks for sharing! Intimidating to see the car field stripped like that :-)

As you are in the US, there are more options for used L7s available to you (most L7s on eBay are in the US) . It seems that in the Alpine setup, people go for the L7s.

Out of interest, were there any issues regarding cable length and left/right hand drive installation and were the tweeter crossover cables still mislabeled? Did you pay special attention to cabling so as to avoid running speaker connections along power cables?

Cheers,

H.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #21
ckegg
台灣人
United_States
Rep

Heylel

The cable is not long enough for you to really go alone with other factory looms. If you look at the last picture I posted, the red single power cord is the Alpine power cord and I could not tie it with the factory loom together because it is bit shorter. For cables going to subs, they are just long enough if you go on lower edge of the rear seat. Again, if you look at the factory loom, they go above the rear suspension top cap, but Alpine cable is not long enough to reach it. Therefore, to be safe I connect cables to subs before tie anything up. Just look at the Alpine installation manual then you know what I am talking about.
Appreciate 1