E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Gearing up to sell my 328xi wagon...

07-13-2015, 11:10 PM   #1
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

Gearing up to sell my 328xi wagon...

for various reasons i'm transitioning over to the e39 camp, specifically a 540i msport touring, but i'm getting ready to sell my current 08 328xi touring with 95k miles on it.

my goal is to get 12 grand for it, and i'm willing to wait a month or two for a buyer to come along but not much longer than that. considering the kbb for it in "fair" condition is 12.6 it seems reasonable...but its a wagon...

-any suggestions on things to do before selling it?
-should i even bother attacking some of the minor issues? (like a slow-rising right rear window or slightly shaky idle within 30 seconds of starting the car)
-the car is still on loan, could this badly reduce the number of potential buyers? even if it just means some more paperwork when getting the car.
-is my price even realistic?
-i was going to put together a big document with all service records, since i have all records from 0 miles, as well as compile a big imgur album with lots of pictures after i clean it up....is this worth doing?
-should i even bother with craigslist? or just stick to classifieds here

and lastly

-should i consider setting it up for a consignment sale? i'm not sure of the rates for them but some sources are saying 20% on the sale price, which seems steep

basically

Stock as stock can be (for now)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:14 PM   #2
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep

oh and just in case folks ask, some reasons i'm switching to an e39

*test drove an msport recently and loved it, much more than the e91 which was already pretty great
*the e39 touring has a good deal more cargo area and the cargo bay has flat sides (no wheel well intrusion)
*manual conversions are not difficult, and i'm already participating in some franksenstein supercharger experiments using blowers from early 00's jaguars
*dat v8!
*proper rear wheel drive!
*more DIY support for a lot of fixes it seems

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep

uh, bump?

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Throw it on cars.com/autotrader and start a FS thread in the FS section of the forums. If that doesn't go your way, consider trading it in. The dealer will probably try to rape you on your car's value but you can negotiate.

Keep us posted!
      07-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

There are buyers out there that love wagons. But being a 2008 might be a bit tough.

I looked for 3 months for mine but that was back in 2010 and it was a 2007.

PS... the dealer had knocked the price down $6k because it was a wagon.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
Bob Shiftright
Save The Manuals!
Rep
Drives: E91 Schleppwagen

With a combination like a MT in a wagon (or just a MT) might suggest listing it in Roundel classifieds.

An MT might be an issue. I traded my MT Acura in for an AT Accord for my daughter. The Acura was the "immaculate" but it still took the Honda dealer forever to sell it.

There is demand out there and the supply is low but the difficulty is putting the buyer in contact with the seller. You may do best with exposure to a wider area than your local market.

Enthusiast Auto Group (in Ohio) that specializes in M-cars and MT cars has an older MT E91 with more miles listed for much more than the sum you mention.
2008 E91 36K, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Lidatek, remote V-1, Cocomats, beach sand, $10 clutch stop mod. 1998 Volvo V70T5 226K, 5-speed, original clutch (third clutch pedal!), aspheric driver's mirror, E-code headlights, IPD sway bar, strut tower brace & skidplate.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #7
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep

its automatic though, not manual

Appreciate 0