Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-13-2015, 10:33 PM   #1
Defense
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP, 2018 X4

Launch Control Activation Issues at Drag Strip

I had the 1200mi service done, practiced using launch control on the street, worked fine and consistently. Took the car to the drag strip and could only get it to work twice. I did five runs back to back, let it rest 30 mins, then ran another 5x back to back, so it shouldn't have been an issue with run time or distance. Launched at 2600 rpm the first time it activated and the car had a 1.8 60' time and ran a 9.9 in the 1000' (super fast for a stock car). Second time (out of 10 runs) that LC worked I set it to 3000rpm and it blew the tire off. The issue was that when I would do a burnout by turning off dsc and flooring it, then hitting the brakes, it would say "launch control activated." Then when I would stage and hit the brake/throttle it would not activate and I would sit on the line like an idiot repeatedly trying to activate it without luck. Has anyone tried the time/distance minimums to activate it? I'm at a loss. Sad, because when it works I'm busting guys asses that are running full slicks. I really need some input from guys that have gone to the drag strip and successfully used launch control. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post
Second time (out of 10 runs) that LC worked I set it to 3000rpm and it blew the tire off.
Is that figure of speech to say it created a huge smokey burnout.... or did it truly cause the tire to explode and separate rubber from the wheel !?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 12:11 AM   #3
Defense
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP, 2018 X4

Yeah...it blew so hard. It blew just like nicknaz from SoCal. Oops...I mean, yeah...it REALLY blew the tire off the wheel. Jk haha. The rear tires did go up in some smoke, but I had no choice. The track and parking areas have grass and gravel all over them, so I had to clean them off.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 04:07 AM   #4
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
It says so in the manual that you can only activate after certain distance has been driven. It's to stop you from destroying the transmission. Sounds like it works as designed.
Appreciate 0