E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Please help! Microfiber towel caused fine scratches when wiping away polish

07-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #1
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

Please help! Microfiber towel caused fine scratches when wiping away polish

Hi Guys,

It's the weekend so I worked on my bimmer again, a BSM E90. I recently learned a tip for inspecting the result after polishing, which is to turn off the lights in the garage and then shine a flashlight at the paint. Indeed, I was able to see the defects so much more clearly with this trick.

The problem is that, I was able to see the very fine scratches that I put on the paint by the action of wiping off the polish. These fine scratches are most visible when I shine the light at an acute angle at the paint and move the light source back and forth. At first, I thought I didn't do a good job with my polisher, but eventually I realized it's not my polishing technique because I experimented with wiping in different directions (and even in circular motion) and those fine scratches mirror exactly my wiping motions.

It's very frustrating because I'm a perfectionist! I tried different microfiber towels, from "cheap" ones that you can get from Costco to nicer/softer ones with thicker pile. I tried soaking the towels and wring them out before wiping; I tried spraying diluted IPA solution on the paint before wiping with the wet towels; I even tried spraying clay lube made from ONR before wiping with wet towels, but every time those scratches would show up! Argh!@$!

Hence my question to the pros here -- What did I do wrong and what can I do to avoid those fine scratches? Am I stuck with them as a curse of owning a BSM bimmer??

Thank you in advance for any assistance!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
Hi Guys,

It's the weekend so I worked on my bimmer again, a BSM E90. I recently learned a tip for inspecting the result after polishing, which is to turn off the lights in the garage and then shine a flashlight at the paint. Indeed, I was able to see the defects so much more clearly with this trick.

The problem is that, I was able to see the very fine scratches that I put on the paint by the action of wiping off the polish. These fine scratches are most visible when I shine the light at an acute angle at the paint and move the light source back and forth. At first, I thought I didn't do a good job with my polisher, but eventually I realized it's not my polishing technique because I experimented with wiping in different directions (and even in circular motion) and those fine scratches mirror exactly my wiping motions.

It's very frustrating because I'm a perfectionist! I tried different microfiber towels, from "cheap" ones that you can get from Costco to nicer/softer ones with thicker pile. I tried soaking the towels and wring them out before wiping; I tried spraying diluted IPA solution on the paint before wiping with the wet towels; I even tried spraying clay lube made from ONR before wiping with wet towels, but every time those scratches would show up! Argh!@$!

Hence my question to the pros here -- What did I do wrong and what can I do to avoid those fine scratches? Am I stuck with them as a curse of owning a BSM bimmer??

Thank you in advance for any assistance!
If the towel is the source of your problems then here are 2 brands you should consider ordering.... Believe me when I say " All MF towels are not created equal".

Microfiber Madness - Crazy Pile

The Rag Company - Eagle Edge-less

I own several dozens of both towels and they are very similar in quality but if price is not an issue then it is Microfiber Madness "Crazy Pile" all day long without a doubt.
      07-12-2015, 06:09 AM   #3
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks psnt. I'll look into them. If the quality is similar between the two, would it be ok to simply get the less expensive one?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
B39 B58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i / M Sport / 6MT

Might also want to try something like CarPro Eraser when you're removing the dust. It will lubricate a little in case that helps, and ensure that you're picking everything up in fewer passes instead of grinding it in.
      07-12-2015, 11:51 PM   #5
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks psnt. I'll look into them. If the quality is similar between the two, would it be ok to simply get the less expensive one?
The differences between the two is slight and the gap would only be evident to a microfiber snob. An average Joe would have a hard time telling them apart. Crazy Pyle seems to have more fullness as well as having longer fibers. Both towels are extremely soft to the touch and both towel works extremely well.

Eagle Edgeless (left)......Crazy Pyle (right)

Eagle Edgeless (top).....Crazy Pyle (bottom)

A note on Crazy Pyle: A few years back, a pro detailer was having a hard time prepping the surface of a M3. He ran into an issue similar to yours (towel marring).

He enlisted one of the top pro in the country for help (Kevin Brown) and Corey (CarPro and MF madness distributor). They ended up using a technique call "Water buffing" to resolved the issue. The car came back for maintenance a few weeks later and he tried out his newly acquired towel (Crazy Pyle) on it. No marring what-so-ever with the new towel.

http://www.live2detail.com/archive/i...hp/t-5137.html

In conclusion, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
      07-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #6
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep

SF Space Grey, thank you for suggesting the CarPro Eraser. I'll check it out!

psnt1ol, thank you very much for the helpful information and the pictures of the towels. I'm definitely going to order some and see if they work out. I really appreciate your prompt assistance!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep

By the way psnt1ol, do those 2 towels you mentioned absorb water well? With my budget microfiber towels, they don't absorb water well if they're bone dry to begin with. On the other hand, I got these waffle weave microfiber towels that are meant for drying and they soak up water extremely well. I wonder how your towels compare?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:48 PM   #8
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
By the way psnt1ol, do those 2 towels you mentioned absorb water well? With my budget microfiber towels, they don't absorb water well if they're bone dry to begin with. On the other hand, I got these waffle weave microfiber towels that are meant for drying and they soak up water extremely well. I wonder how your towels compare?
I don't use them to dry. I mostly use them for final wipes or polish and LSP (wax/sealant) removal. I use something else to dry that IMO is better than any waffle weave out there.

Got me curious.... so I did a test. I put 4 cups of water in a large measuring cup. I put the towel in for 5 seconds then take out immediately to see how much water remains. Here are the results. You be the judge.

Note: all towel sizes are 16x16.

4 cups (32 oz) of water.

Eagle Edgeless : 1 cup (8 oz) remains.

Crazy Pyle: 1/2 cup (4 oz) remains.

And just for jiggles......

Costco: A little less than 2 1/2 cups (19 oz) remains.

07-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #9
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks psnt1ol for the scientific approach to measuring the towels' absorbency!

Could you please comment on the towels' ability to soak up water from a totally dry state? Do they have a tendency to push water away like the cheap Costco microfiber towels?

And would you mind sharing what you use to dry that's so much better than waffle weave?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #10
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks psnt1ol for the scientific approach to measuring the towels' absorbency!

Could you please comment on the towels' ability to soak up water from a totally dry state? Do they have a tendency to push water away like the cheap Costco microfiber towels?

And would you mind sharing what you use to dry that's so much better than waffle weave?
All towels used in the test were bone dry. They will out perform the Costco towels. The targeted applications for these 2 towels (Crazy Pyle, Eagle) were for wax/sealant and polish removal as well as final wipe. They are also perfect for any water-less and rinse-less wash applications. I only use the costco towels for the interior.

Here are some tricks to get more performance from your mf towels. MF works better when it is slightly moist and not bone dry. Mist your towel lightly (light .... not damp or wet) prior and you will notice the difference. How you wash them plays a factor as well. Low suds detergent (no bleach or fabric softener) mix with a little borax does a pretty good job of cleaning them. OR..... a dedicated MF detergent. Throw in a quarter cup of white vinegar in the 2nd rinse cycle and the towels will come out super soft. Lastly, dry them on low heat and try not to over dry them. They don't have to be bone dry and store them in a container. I store mine in zip lock bags.

I use this to dry...here is a vid review on youtube.

For a well maintained car, I use this...here is a vid by CeeDog who is Corey from Carpro USA.
      07-14-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the tips psnt1ol, and the videos too! Wow that dry me crazy towel test is definitely impressive! I think I'm gonna grab one plus a few of the crazy pile towels.

That air blower is certainly an awesome tool! Unfortunately I don't think I'll invest in a tool like that, which is probably quite pricey. But thanks for opening my eyes though!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #12
Tim603
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
shutup and take my money!
      08-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
drmdvl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2015 Macan Turbo

Garage List
I'd also suggest microfiber techs 16x16 edge less towels. 365 gsm and a 25/75 mix of material. These are my absolutely favorite go to detailing towels.
All plush microfibers stink at absorbing water unless you get them damp first. A quality waffle weave is the way to go.
Btw - I can vouch for the metro blaster. I used to use a leaf
Blower - the metro blaster is an amazing product and I do a lot less maintenance now that I touch free dry my car.
Good luck.
      10-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #14
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Hi, as a fellow BSM owner I had the same issue and one resolution was that instead of IPA solution, I started using Menzerna Top Inspection and brand new microfibers only

The only mystery I have now is applying nano coating where they give you this cheap cotton applicator which can also mar your paint if you're not careful. Kind of hard to be careful when you're catching up on the wipedown before the nano coating flashes permanently (GTechniq Exo V2)
Appreciate 0