BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches

07-03-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
Plaidavenger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328xi

What do you think of Invicta Watches

Hey guys i'm just a college student looking for a second watch. I already have a silver Tissot with a blue face and want a second watch to mix things up. I'm just a college student so im looking to ball on a budget

I was on Amazon and saw some Invicta watches worth $500 that I could grab for $90-$110

I really am digging some of the bigger gold ones with either a black or blue face.

Lemme know what you guys think, good deal? something better ?

I'm currently looking at the Invicta Men's 0072 Pro Diver Collection Chronograph 18k Gold-Plated Watch

Last edited by Plaidavenger; 07-03-2015 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: added model
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Do you like it ? That's all that matters !
Some people who think they're watch enthusiast may disparage the brand.
But I find anyone that likes watches enjoys looking through the Invicta catalogue, some of their pieces are definitely fun if not down right good looking.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidavenger View Post
Hey guys i'm just a college student looking for a second watch. I already have a silver Tissot with a blue face and want a second watch to mix things up. I'm just a college student so im looking to ball on a budget

I was on Amazon and saw some Invicta watches worth $500 that I could grab for $90-$110

I really am digging some of the bigger gold ones with either a black or blue face.

Lemme know what you guys think, good deal? something better ?

I'm currently looking at the Invicta Men's 0072 Pro Diver Collection Chronograph 18k Gold-Plated Watch
I think that if you like the styling and you don't like any of the alternatives that have come your way, you pretty much have to buy an Invicta. There's no question Invicta have a pretty good feel for "hyper-masculine whimsy" as goes watch styling. Accordingly, they can be fun to wear if that's part of one's personal style.

As for purchasing an Invicta watch, I think that if one intends to do so, one should do so only after checking this -- http://www.bbb.org/south-east-florid...od-fl-27002445 . I'm not saying one should or should not buy one; I'm saying one should, as with any watch, do so with one's eyes wide open, so to speak.

Based on what I've read about Invicta on the BBB site, so long as one doesn't have to deal with Invicta the company, one will in all lilkelihood be quite content with an Invicta watch. It seems to me that the issues of which consumers have complained suggest that Invicta have quality control problems in their production process and Invicta, unlike many other watch companies, seem more inclined to battle with customers instead of just exchanging the watch for for a new one and dealing with the cause of the customer's dissatisfaction rather than seeing matters as though customers are trying to "get over on them."

Obviously, Invicta sell far more watches that apparently are just fine than they sell watches having "issues."

On the matter of gold plating, eyes wide open is relevant again. With plating, gold or otherwise, sooner or later it will wear off. It's not a matter of whether it wears off, it's a matter of when. How long it'll take to wear off depends on the usage pattern the watch experiences.

Red:
What makes you say they are "worth" $500? How would you know what they are "worth?" Are they worth $500 to you? They may be worth that to some people, but if they aren't worth that to you, then they aren't worth $500. What they are worth to someone else isn't relevant to you because you aren't buying it for someone else.

To illustrate:
If you want a steak and you walk into a restaurant and find they only have fish and poultry on offer, the price for which they sell the fish and poultry is pointless because they are not steak. Thus at that moment, the fish and poultry are worth zero because nothing is going to make them be steak.

What's the point of that? Figure out what you want in an item, a watch, and then find a watch that meets your criteria. Don't buy a watch simply because it appears to be offered at the greatest discount off MSRP. You need to find a good deal on the items you actually want, not buy a good deal and get an item in return.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 07-03-2015 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

If you like it ,buy it know the risks with the company and as somebody said, it's hard to buy a bad watch these days! Invicta do have some really good looking watches, not keepers for life but good enough for the present.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 11:44 PM   #5
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

I have had 5 or so invicta watches
They all broke after a few months.
As you said the msrp are all hundreds of dollars but you Will see them on deal sites for less than $100.
They basically run the business that way, only selling when on promo.
They are garbage. Stay away.
They are not a premium brand by any means.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 02:09 AM   #6
wheeladdicts
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Invicta has been around a LONG time, however, they are not being sold with the original philosphphy. The main market (at least here in S. FL) is to target mall shoppers. You walk by a watch booth and immediately they hit you with something like "I can take 75% off the price if you buy now." The MSRP is irrelevant because very few suckers will pay full price. The quality, workmanship, etc isn't there.

Now if the true market for a particular fashion/in-stlye mainstream watch is in the $100 range dont expect too much. The gold will wear out depending on use, your personal sweat and its pH level, and many other factors.

Go on to this site and look around:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php

The sales section will give you an idea of pricing for various brands. Here is a good example of a nice rare piece for $160. Its a Seiko many have probably never seen:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...s-2089322.html

With that said I have some of the older Invicta/Rolex Knock Off's before they got sued which are actually gaining value, are over 15 years old, and cost me $75 or less originally.

You never know.

PM me if you need help I sort of like watches (WatchAddicts - new project).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 11:52 PM   #7
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTruk View Post
As you said the msrp are all hundreds of dollars but you Will see them on deal sites for less than $100.
They aren't meant to be a premium brand. I own two - a mechanical wide up and an automatic. I have had them both for a couple years and have worked flawlessly as well as held up well. My dad has the white version of my blue sub look alike, beats the crap out of it and it still works perfectly.

Bang for the buck they are hard to beat. I'll buy another, though my last couple haven't been Invicta.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTruk View Post
Did you actually buy "five or so" Invicta watches all at once?

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
Chris_PDX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, NA Miata

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
When I first started getting into watches, I bought an Invicta from Macy's for (I think) about $150. It was the most expensive watch I ever owned to that point.

It worked for about a year, and then I noticed condensation inside the case after leaving it on the bathroom counter every morning while showering (and it's not like the bathroom turned into a sauna either). Took it to a watch shop, had seals replaced, and it happened again 3 months later, this time the internal components had rusted.

Chalked it up to a bad watch, a one-off, and bought another. Same thing happened again if only 3 months this time.

Bought a Bulova, ran flawlessly for 5 years until I sold it and bought a Citizen. Now I wear Citizens almost exclusively.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Cheaply made intro watch, don't spend what they ask for them.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #11
1smokehouse
Second Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LE

Garage List
Bought this one last November and its built like truck and hasn't given me any issues. Wasn't aware of all the bad reviews, but we'll see if it holds up or not...
Attached Images

07-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Smokehouse, is that a mechanical watch or is it a Quartz ?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 08:07 PM   #13
1smokehouse
Second Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Smokehouse, is that a mechanical watch or is it a Quartz ?
Its Quartz
      07-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #14
wheeladdicts
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_PDX View Post
When I first started getting into watches, I bought an Invicta from Macy's for (I think) about $150. It was the most expensive watch I ever owned to that point.

It worked for about a year, and then I noticed condensation inside the case after leaving it on the bathroom counter every morning while showering (and it's not like the bathroom turned into a sauna either). Took it to a watch shop, had seals replaced, and it happened again 3 months later, this time the internal components had rusted.

Chalked it up to a bad watch, a one-off, and bought another. Same thing happened again if only 3 months this time.

Bought a Bulova, ran flawlessly for 5 years until I sold it and bought a Citizen. Now I wear Citizens almost exclusively.
The rust may have occurred if this happened:

1) watch had condensation
2) watch was opened, seals were changed, and watch was resealed (all at once)

If the exact scenario I mentioned above is done the movement usually still has condensation inside. When the watch is opened and resealed without letting the movement dry completely all you are doing is locking the moisture back in. Usually it is a very small amount and you wont see it until the temperature changes exposing the problem (several months).

Once water goes in you have to disassemble the watch, let it all dry (several days if possible), and then reassemble. Also, this all needs to happen in the same place with a constant temperature. If you do it in a cold room, take the parts to a warm area, and bring them back to the cold you may introduce condensation again.

To be safe also make sure to change the time on a mechanical watch after it has been in the present temperature for a while. For example, if your house is cold inside and you walk outside to sunny 90 degree temps and decide to change the time you are allowing hot air to go in which can cause condensation. Rare but I have seen it happen.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #15
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

ive owned invictas from 'subaquas to russian divers. I tend to buy the automatic movements being Valjoux 7750, SW500, SW200. All of mine have stood the test of time.
      07-19-2015, 10:57 PM   #16
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Personally, I would stick with Tissot in comparing the two. IMO Invicta is imitating the high end stuff which looks very apparent (quality wise) and looks like ur trying too hard. Better to pick something that looks good, has its own identity, and is priced within your budget.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #17
Chris_PDX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, NA Miata

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeladdicts View Post
The rust may have occurred if this happened:

1) watch had condensation
2) watch was opened, seals were changed, and watch was resealed (all at once)

If the exact scenario I mentioned above is done the movement usually still has condensation inside. When the watch is opened and resealed without letting the movement dry completely all you are doing is locking the moisture back in. Usually it is a very small amount and you wont see it until the temperature changes exposing the problem (several months).

Once water goes in you have to disassemble the watch, let it all dry (several days if possible), and then reassemble. Also, this all needs to happen in the same place with a constant temperature. If you do it in a cold room, take the parts to a warm area, and bring them back to the cold you may introduce condensation again.

To be safe also make sure to change the time on a mechanical watch after it has been in the present temperature for a while. For example, if your house is cold inside and you walk outside to sunny 90 degree temps and decide to change the time you are allowing hot air to go in which can cause condensation. Rare but I have seen it happen.
The jeweler I took it to supposedly did that, they kept it for a few days to let it dry out. But the condensation that appeared on the inside the first time was there despite never being opened. I may have just been unlucky, but my Citizens have never let me down

And never having to change batteries again, even better!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #18
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
NO.

if you are wearing an Invicta watch....you're basically saying "I have really shit taste in watches and don't even know it".
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:36 PM   #19
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

...so, I have a Invicta 'Elite' auto. Received this as a present many years ago. The band was 5hit and I threw it out shortly after receiving the watch. Fast forward 5 years - I source a steel bracelet band that matches the watch perfectly.

The watch itself is built like a 'tank' as another post mentioned - face is silver, blank dial, with date, classic in appearance.

I have other watches - Tag's, Movado's, a Rolex...weird thing, but I get more complements on the Invicta....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:41 PM   #20
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Invicta seems to be hit or miss in terms of quality from what i've read.
      07-21-2015, 12:59 AM   #21
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Cheaply made intro watch, don't spend what they ask for them.
Bold:
I second that advice. That said, I offer the same advice for every watch one can buy. I think the last time I paid full MSRP for a watch was sometime in the 1980s. I didn't know any better at the time.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #22
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I have 3 Invicta watches and so far no issues...if anything I've received plenty of compliments on them! But like what most people said, if u like it buy it.

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 09-20-2015 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0