E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension too Hard...

01-22-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
sysop
Fleet Owner
Rep
Drives: 2005 320i A/T Idr

Suspension too Hard...

Does anyone know if it is possible to soften the E90 suspension. It does not exactly absorb bumps very well... Also the power steering is muich heavier than in the 5 - series. ANy adjustments possible?
      01-22-2006, 12:35 AM   #2
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

do u have the sports suspension? perhaps u can switch to the non-sport setup? also, it might help if u get rid of the stock runflat tires that ride kinda stiff.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2006, 12:39 AM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

if the steeringwheel was lighter the car wont even feel like a BMW. Why not just get a non-sport E90 like Billgti's suggested?? Without the sport package the steering wheel will be a little bit lighter and looser. Try it out...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2006, 02:11 AM   #4
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Or more effectively, you should of gotten the Active Steering. But all this is too late. I find the suspension to be just right. I don't like it when all the bump are absorbed too well. When you get a BMW you should not expect the ride to be the smoothest out of the competition. They go for more performance orientated configuration rather than a plushy soft ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2006, 02:16 AM   #5
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

One more comment. If your car is still in the break-in period is it normal to be harsher than normal. Give it some time and it will soften slightly. But don't expect anything significant.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2006, 02:54 AM   #6
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
I love the firmness, but that doesnt help your problem.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2006, 04:37 AM   #7
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Believe or not, I found my 2001 Benz ex-E320 W210 suspension stiff and uncomfortable ! Today, I would not dream 17"/18" rims, sports suspensions A4, C-Class or E90 be any more 'comfortable' than the E-Class. The most comfort car I recently ever tried was my friend's Lexus ES300, definitely soft suspension, which still has 17" inch wheels with tires of thickness profile 215/65! We won't want to go back to these cars feeling like on a boat anymore. The best thing to do, try to sit and ride on a M3, Porsche, AMG for half a day, and you will find the E90 the most comfortable car in the world. It took me 12 months to adopt myself to the AMG's suspension. The E90 should take much less time. All the shops only sell sportier, stiffer suspensions, short displacement springs, bigger rims, lower profile tires, so don't waste your time to do anything to your car. A new car alwasy gets everything on it 'softer' after 6-9 months.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2006, 06:32 AM   #8
sysop
Fleet Owner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgti
do u have the sports suspension? perhaps u can switch to the non-sport setup? also, it might help if u get rid of the stock runflat tires that ride kinda stiff.
No, my car is the standard suspension 320 and the runflats have run-in after 20,000 kms. The problem is that the suspension thuds over urban old roads with sunken manholes etc. Of course it is wonderful at the speeds mosts BM owners like to drive, but it leaves much to be desired at 60 kph!

Unfortunately i have not found another model which offers the appeal that the E90 does. In some ways, I wish I had stuck to ny 2002 E46!
      01-22-2006, 06:47 AM   #9
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Quote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to soften the E90 suspension. It does not exactly absorb bumps very well... Also the power steering is muich heavier than in the 5 - series. ANy adjustments possible?
Yes.

http://www.lexus.com
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2006, 09:18 AM   #10
thxbuff2001
Dictator for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: To many

Everyday, I notice my suspension is becoming more softer to bump not like when I took it from the dealer.Initially I taught my accord has a better suspension but right now they feel thesame. Maybe try to wait for some more time
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2006, 12:37 PM   #11
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysop
No, my car is the standard suspension 320 and the runflats have run-in after 20,000 kms. The problem is that the suspension thuds over urban old roads with sunken manholes etc. Of course it is wonderful at the speeds mosts BM owners like to drive, but it leaves much to be desired at 60 kph!

Unfortunately i have not found another model which offers the appeal that the E90 does. In some ways, I wish I had stuck to ny 2002 E46!
you can always get smaller rims with bigger coushier tires! much more reasonable solution than choosing another car.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
      01-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #13
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by db17k
you can always get smaller rims with bigger coushier tires! much more reasonable solution than choosing another car.

But they make the E90, and usually any car, look so

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 09:36 PM   #14
Driv3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
if the steeringwheel was lighter the car wont even feel like a BMW. Why not just get a non-sport E90 like Billgti's suggested?? Without the sport package the steering wheel will be a little bit lighter and looser. Try it out...
THAT is not true. My brother actually has a 330ci ZHP and his car has a lighter steering and feels alot better, I know his suspension is stiffer, but most bimmers dont have steering THIS hard. I know what he means. People who drive my car even tell me " its soo heavy feels like it doesnt have power steering" lol
      02-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #15
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim
But they make the E90, and usually any car, look so
haha, i don't think he'd mind if it solves his problem though, but then again doesn't the 320 come with 16"s, dunno if you'd wanna go any smaller.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2006, 12:34 AM   #16
sysop
Fleet Owner
Rep

Quote:
I have the standard 16 inch rims with normal tyres. You should know that oversize tyres will foul the wheel arches under certain conditions.
      02-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #17
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
haha, i don't think he'd mind if it solves his problem though, but then again doesn't the 320 come with 16"s, dunno if you'd wanna go any smaller.

It might be like the CIP updates.....fix one thing, break 7 others...

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #18
AW330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

BMW makes the ultimate driving machine, not the drive over potholes in the city machine. There is a huge difference in the way that you have to drive a BMW in comparison to a Mercedes or a Lexus. In a Mercedes or a Lexus you can point the car straight down the bumpiest road you can find and just "drive" straight through it... In a BMW you must adapt and maneuver around the imperfections in the road... If you dont you run the risk of bending your rims and puting a lot of unecesary ware on suspension components. As much as people think that cars are just to take you from point A to B they completly neglect the fact that if you buy a BMW you are making a compromise... It is a question of would you rather have a wonderful car or a lexus that is comfy...
      03-01-2006, 08:24 PM   #19
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

have to agree with sysop on this one. I've been driving around in an E46 330xi for the last week while my car's in the shop (see the Metallic Ticking Noise thread in the DIY/Maintenence section). Man, what a difference! I know that run flats are the latest thing and all, but BMW had to really tune the suspension to work with them, and imo it's simply not as good. There are bumps along my commute that make my E90's steering wheel jerk a bit, but which affect the E46 much less. The suspension is still totally confident (in fact it's more so imo than the E46 when hustling through curves), but it's simply not as forgiving as in the previous car. The ride is harsher and not as comfortable (BTW I have the stock suspension). I can't deny that there's a part of me that's like "WTF, I didn't pay $30k+ for a suspension that spills my coffee!" (it actually has a couple of times).

About the only thing any of us can do however is shrug our shoulders and buy stock tires if it really bothers us. BMW definitely designed some ride comfort out of this generation. The E90's sportier true, but then BMW's aren't meant to be uncompromising sports cars. That's what the Porsche's are meant to be. BMW's are about balance, and for me, I wouldn't mind a wee bit more of it.

Last edited by ages944; 03-01-2006 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: updated info
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 12:13 AM   #20
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944
have to agree with sysop on this one. I've been driving around in an E46 330xi for the last week while my car's in the shop (see the Metallic Ticking Noise thread in the DIY/Maintenence section). Man, what a difference! I know that run flats are the latest thing and all, but BMW had to really tune the suspension to work with them, and imo it's simply not as good. There are bumps along my commute that make my E90's steering wheel jerk a bit, but which affect the E46 much less. The suspension is still totally confident (in fact it's more so imo than the E46 when hustling through curves), but it's simply not as forgiving as in the previous car. The ride is harsher and not as comfortable (BTW I have the stock suspension). I can't deny that there's a part of me that's like "WTF, I didn't pay $30k+ for a suspension that spills my coffee!" (it actually has a couple of times).

About the only thing any of us can do however is shrug our shoulders and buy stock tires if it really bothers us. BMW definitely designed some ride comfort out of this generation. The E90's sportier true, but then BMW's aren't meant to be uncompromising sports cars. That's what the Porsche's are meant to be. BMW's are about balance, and for me, I wouldn't mind a wee bit more of it.

I've had splls, but they occured going around curves rather than bumps. If you go around a curve too fast, you will spill in any car.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 11:57 AM   #21
jflecha
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 330i

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
I found that the ride got better after a few hundred miles, either that or I got used to it.

I have non RFT winters on now and yea it rides a lot better, but I miss that glued to the pavement feeling, I look forward to putting my Potenza's back on even if the ride will be a little bumpier.

If I wasnt leasing I might opt for non RFT performance tires.
      10-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #22
Eberhard
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Monaco

Not certain, but may have an answer >

Sysop,

My wife has ben driving an "04 Infiniti G35 sedan since new. Without the sports suspension package, she found the ride too harsh (a common complaint). I tried a number of tires and inflation rates to no avail.

Just recently, Bridgestone came out with a version of their general purpose Turanza with what they call a Serenity option that was designed specifically for sports touring sedans with stiff suspension. Mounted a set last weelk and the difference over smaill bumps, potholes and highway markers is outstanding. Road noise was also reduced over the standard Turanza and Goodyears that were OEM for that car. (Saved me the cost of a loaded '08 Lexus ES350 - at least so far).

I looked for your '05 320i on the TireRack.com - a Stateside site - but could only find a fitment for a 325i Sedan (I may have gotten your year and model wrong). They are so new that there is very little feedback from buyers, but my experience has been quite good.

For general purpose driving, the Turanza Serenity tires at 30 psi cold may be your answer. I drove the car fairly hard on some dry mountain roads and they performed quite well in regards to performance.

From Bridgestone:

"Turanza with Serenity Technology tires are Bridgestone's Grand Touring All-Season tires developed for the drivers of sporty coupes and luxury performance sedans. Turanza with Serenity Technology tires are designed to provide Bridgestone's ultimate in ride and noise comfort while blending long wear with dry, wet and year-round traction, even in light snow.

Turanza with Serenity Technology tires mold a silica-reinforced, Long Link Carbon Black tread compound into an asymmetric design featuring continuous center and shoulder ribs that help reduce noise while providing constant road contact to enhance straight-line stability. Three circumferential and multiple lateral grooves help evacuate water to resist hydroplaning. The tire's internal structure includes twin, high-tensile steel belts reinforced by spirally wrapped nylon to stabilize the tread area and enhance handling, high-speed capability and ride quality while minimizing weight. A polyester cord body and rubber sidewall reinforcements enhance ride quality, steering response and cornering stability".

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity (Grand Touring All-Season)
for 2005 BMW 325i Sedan

The Stateside standard size for the Turanza Serenity is listed is a 205/55/HR16 where most replacements for the Stateside 325i are a 50 series tire. While the increased sidewall will help with ride quality, you should contact both BMW and Bridgestone to see if the tires might have a clearance problem. Bridgestone states they do not "foul the wheel arches" and may, in fact, offer a lower profile abroad. And if you need better than a H speed rating and softer ride, you may be driving the wrong car all together.

I hope this information helps some.

Best of luck,

Eberhard

Last edited by Eberhard; 10-22-2007 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0