E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Year Round Coilover or Shock/Spring Set Up (Thinking of winter)

06-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
Lshaw
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i 6mt

Year Round Coilover or Shock/Spring Set Up (Thinking of winter)

Hey guys, im due for new suspension soon, my car is at 70K. These NYC roads are beating the shit outta my car.

I plan on driving my 335 in the winter and i need some opinions on suspension. I drive 70+ miles a day.

I know KW's are stainless steel, so the KW v1's are my #1 choice, but the used market is limited and new is very pricey.

What other manufacturers coilovers or shock/spring combos are proven through harsh winters. I understand they claim corrosion resistant, galvanized steel components but, id rather ask on first hand experience.

I plan on keeping my 335i for a while. But when i part ways i would be reverting everything back to stock. So anything i put on, will be taken off to be sold hence, my concern about corrosion.

*If you wanna be a dick and tell me to search, go for it , ive done light research but i would rather have solid answers and feedback
15 X5 xdrive 35i (2015-)
17 Forester XT (2016-)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Jason84
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I am in the same boat and I am going with the BMW Performance Suspension setup cant go wrong there OEM designed so will stand up to everything.

Only difference is I am buying brand new.

Honestly KW V1 is kind of a waste you have no dampening adjustment at all. If you dont care about ride quality track vs street or anything else and only care about height adjustment you are fine. If you want adjustability of dampening go with V2 Otherwise just get a proven spring and shock combo if you dont want either.

Last edited by Jason84; 06-17-2015 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
If you don't want your setup rusting stay away from anything that uses Koni shocks. Those things rust like a bitch, one or two winters and they will look like a joke.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
If you don't want your setup rusting stay away from anything that uses Koni shocks. Those things rust like a bitch, one or two winters and they will look like a joke.
That is why I clear coated mine and wash the car regularly (not the drive thought) I should sent you photos from mine. 2 winters on the BMW and 6 on the VW. on BMW zero rust. On VW only on the front around the lower perch.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 10:42 PM   #5
Jec1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan, 2013 Fr-s

For serious NYC duty I would say just shocks and sport springs. I'm sure the BMW PS wouldn't be too harsh and the Bilstein B4, B6 and B12 are good options, although a few NYers reported harshness after some miles on the B12.
As mentioned above, there are known workarounds for the Koni corrosion issue but I still shied away for that reason.

I've posted before, but I just went through this and did a ton of research including riding in several setups and bided my time. I'm at 55k; my shocks and struts were more or less completely shot.

Everything involves tradeoffs; this is a sport/quasi luxury car, not a sports car or even close. Given the current values for the majority of the chassis line, I think most set ups are just pissing away money or misunderstanding the nature of the car. It's a very competent reasonably comfortable and luxurious yet still quick and fun car. I can't see not driving it year round and in blizzards and I'm rwd and live in a hilly area without issue as long as you are sensible.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 02:36 AM   #6
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Koni FSD's + stock Sport springs.

Tires make a huge diff, ride quality - you're using Winter tires when temps dip, yes? 16" rims may be best for cold weather - ditch anything more than 18", please.

Read member's comments re: Koni rust. Salt spray testing is a coating industry standard - coating adhesion and longevity are the goals. Ask whatever shock & spring mfg you use for salt spray results - compare to BMW's.

The counter guy or phone sales person prob won't have a clue. Keep going 'til you have it; compare. Maybe NY salts freely - don't have the issue here - you should def inquire about warranty! Koni's is lifetime.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 06-18-2015 at 02:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
Lshaw
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason84 View Post
I am in the same boat and I am going with the BMW Performance Suspension setup cant go wrong there OEM designed so will stand up to everything.

Only difference is I am buying brand new.

Honestly KW V1 is kind of a waste you have no dampening adjustment at all. If you dont care about ride quality track vs street or anything else and only care about height adjustment you are fine. If you want adjustability of dampening go with V2 Otherwise just get a proven spring and shock combo if you dont want either.
If i were to find a set of KW V1 used i would be jumping on that bc i know they are Stainless and hold value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jec1 View Post
For serious NYC duty I would say just shocks and sport springs. I'm sure the BMW PS wouldn't be too harsh and the Bilstein B4, B6 and B12 are good options, although a few NYers reported harshness after some miles on the B12.
As mentioned above, there are known workarounds for the Koni corrosion issue but I still shied away for that reason.

I've posted before, but I just went through this and did a ton of research including riding in several setups and bided my time. I'm at 55k; my shocks and struts were more or less completely shot.

Everything involves tradeoffs; this is a sport/quasi luxury car, not a sports car or even close. Given the current values for the majority of the chassis line, I think most set ups are just pissing away money or misunderstanding the nature of the car. It's a very competent reasonably comfortable and luxurious yet still quick and fun car. I can't see not driving it year round and in blizzards and I'm rwd and live in a hilly area without issue as long as you are sensible.
I understand trade offs. Shocks/Springs are def a cheaper option as well.

I would also like a drop, and i understand clearance issues etc when winter comes, but my 335i is my daily and im gonna drive the shit outta it no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Koni FSD's + stock Sport springs.

Tires make a huge diff, ride quality - you're using Winter tires when temps dip, yes? 16" rims may be best for cold weather - ditch anything more than 18", please.

Read member's comments re: Koni rust. Salt spray testing is a coating industry standard - coating adhesion and longevity are the goals. Ask whatever shock & spring mfg you use for salt spray results - compare to BMW's.

The counter guy or phone sales person prob won't have a clue. Keep going 'til you have it; compare. Maybe NY salts freely - don't have the issue here - you should def inquire about warranty! Koni's is lifetime.

If i were in a warmer climate with no salt, i wouldnt be opening this thread, hah! I understand all shocks, coilovers and what not have a coating standard, but over time it will wear away.

So i would like real input with people running their set ups over 4 seasons and how it is holding up!
15 X5 xdrive 35i (2015-)
17 Forester XT (2016-)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Winter tires should use a 225/45/----. If you go wider, your pushing more snow. If you have less profile, you can't absorb the shock as well and may even, at some point, ruin your rims.

Summer tires or All-seasons that one might run from say March 16 to November 15 could dip to a 40 profile. Width ? I like 235's square or 235 front and 255 rear.

Unless your roads are in GREAT shape, having a profile of 35 or even 30 BEGS one to blow out a tire and ruin a rim in the process.

I would not think 90% of states north of the Mason-Dixon Line can say they have GREAT roads. Winter screws with them and most states don't spend the money to lay quality concrete that is at least 6 to 8" thick.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #9
Lshaw
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Winter tires should use a 225/45/----. If you go wider, your pushing more snow. If you have less profile, you can't absorb the shock as well and may even, at some point, ruin your rims.

Summer tires or All-seasons that one might run from say March 16 to November 15 could dip to a 40 profile. Width ? I like 235's square or 235 front and 255 rear.

Unless your roads are in GREAT shape, having a profile of 35 or even 30 BEGS one to blow out a tire and ruin a rim in the process.

I would not think 90% of states north of the Mason-Dixon Line can say they have GREAT roads. Winter screws with them and most states don't spend the money to lay quality concrete that is at least 6 to 8" thick.
Thanks for the info, lol. But im all good with my winter tire set up. I run 225/40/18 square for winter Nokian
Hakkapeliitta R2 are the best studless tires by far.

Just looking for suspension info.

Shocks/Coils that can withstand winters and corrosion (salt, rust, etc...). First hand experience is the best info, let me know your set ups!
15 X5 xdrive 35i (2015-)
17 Forester XT (2016-)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #10
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
I have been doing a lot of research myself. I am currently running stock setup. I have 112000 miles on my OEM stock shocks and struts. I took my car to a front end / suspension specialty shop, and they told me I had about 5k but no more than 15k left on the original set.

I have come to the understanding that what you get really depends on how you intend to use the car. If you track your car, for example, your probably going to change out your springs and go with a Bilstein b12 setup or possibly a Koni sport (yellow) with Eibach springs.

Daily drivers typically unless they go "Tim the tool man Taylor" goes with Bilstein B4 or Koni FSD's.

Someone mentioned above that Koni FSD's rust after about 2 winters. This is the first I have heard of this. It does have me re-thinking the idea of going with Koni FSD's. I have found them for under $550.00 out the door, but if they are gonna rust, forget it. I live in Michigan where we do use a lot of Salt on the roads in the winter. So, that's why I bought a BMW to begin with. American made cars rust out after 5 years.

If the rust thing is true about Koni's, I'll probably just suck it up $$$ wise and go with Bilstein B12 set up. I have seen them for just over 800 and sometimes under 775 on Bav Auto site.

The other thing about shocks and struts is that if your over 100k, you probably need to buy new hardware around the shocks and struts. That might run an additional $250.00. Lemforder is the OEM supplier for BMW with regard to these parts, but one can pay double and triple for the little BMW stamp if they want
Appreciate 0