E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Valentine 1 on 405/5/520?

02-13-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
Choolgooz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Valentine 1 on 405/5/520?

Is anyone running V1 on either 5/405/520? How effective is it? Is there many false alarms ?

What band does the Washington state patrol use mostly?

I am looking to order a V1 soon, any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #2
Choolgooz
Lieutenant
Rep

Also, if you are running any other detectors out here feedback on those are also welcome .
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 03:14 AM   #3
UWE90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver E90 330i 6MT

I have been using Valentine One for 3 years. It's so far so good, but to be honest with you, I'm starting to suspect that WSP in the Seattle region don't even use the Valentine One bands anymore. Also, I've noticed on the drive between Seattle and Canada some WSP would use laser.

However, in other areas Valentine One has proven itself to me very effective, especially against RCMP along Highway 99 in Canada (Ka Band), CHP in California (Ka Band).

You should still get it though. It's basically an insurance for your traffic tickets. Even if you do get it, still drive smart and be sure to slow down on curves and other spots where you can't see the front.

If you want more tips on using it effectively I can help you.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
its mostly laser now... Most local's have radar but once you hit the Highways, its all about the state patrol and their lasers. Oh yeah, motorcycle cops use lasers too. but most of the time they just pace.. I don't have a V1 but I have a passport x50, it's alright. there are so many cameras installed near my neighborhood so it goes off every time I drive by or a super market with the automatic doors. Even though it has a mute function and it recognizes the false alarm, I get impatient and just mute it whenever I hear it no matter where I am. lol this got me a ticket couple weeks ago.. You always gotta be careful with or without one. IMHO I kind of regret buying this, feel like it is a waste of money because since I have "protection" against cops, I tend to speed more.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

WSP is almost exclusively LIDAR/LASER on the freeways and Ka insta-on on the surface streets (although I have seen some leave their guns constantly on Ka) I know up North on 405 they always use LIDAR and pull lots o' people over with it (almost got me a few times...nice try boys). They sit right at the crest of the hill after you merge off of 5 onto S. 405.

Locals use KA and K. Have yet to see any other bands in use besides these. BTW I don't use a Valentine, I use a Beltronics 955. It's a good combination of accuracy and distance and price. Nowadays true radar detectors are all but useless in combatting speedtraps because a lot of agencies use LASER.I figured I'd save some money for the jammer upgrades by not buying a Valentine.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
Choolgooz
Lieutenant
Rep

, that sucks lol. Most of my time is on the highways. I am not so sure that its worth the investment to buy a v1 now.

I like the idea of getting an OK detector and buying a jammer to go with it.

Thanks for all the replies.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 03:01 AM   #7
UWE90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choolgooz View Post
, that sucks lol. Most of my time is on the highways. I am not so sure that its worth the investment to buy a v1 now.

I like the idea of getting an OK detector and buying a jammer to go with it.

Thanks for all the replies.
I would still say it's a good buy. It saved my ass a lot of times for the past 3 years. Valentine One picks up laser too and I would say it's pretty sensitive. I always kill my speed down a notch whenever I hear V1 go off. Check the jammer laws. Some states prohibit you from operating a radar jammer and I'm not sure what WA's law has to say about that.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWE90 View Post
I would still say it's a good buy. It saved my ass a lot of times for the past 3 years. Valentine One picks up laser too and I would say it's pretty sensitive. I always kill my speed down a notch whenever I hear V1 go off. Check the jammer laws. Some states prohibit you from operating a radar jammer and I'm not sure what WA's law has to say about that.

RADAR jammers are illegal in all 50 states, as those frequencies are regulated by the FCC. So you cannot broadcast a radar signal that is intended to jam or interfere with another RADAR signal. So it is illegal on a federal level to operate a RADAR jammer.

LIDAR or LASER jamming is perfectly legal in all but 10 states and DC. You can't use a laser jammer in California, Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, Oklahoma, Tennessee, South Carolina, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC. But there is nothing in federal law that says you can't a LIDAR or LASER jamming device.

In WA, LIDAR or LASER jammers are legal.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
douger
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

I have been using a V1 for years -- it is much less useful than it used to be. There is soooo much radar "pollution" in the area now, with all of those silly stationary units, etc. The V1 has gotten pretty useless on the freeways as it seems WSP has gone to lazer which my V1 does not detect. I still find it useful when travelling on two lane back roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

My V1 is helpful to say the least. I wouldn't leave home without it.

But to really be protected one needs a LIDAR jammer.
Appreciate 0