F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Warped Brakes
proTUNING Freaks

06-01-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Warped Brakes

I know someone else on here had an issue with brake discs being warped - just wondered if its a wider issue? Mines got the M Sport brake upgrade.

Nearly made it to a year without the car having to go back to the dealer due to an issue but unfortunately its in on Thursday to investigate.

Get a pulsing when braking you can feel through the car, even the wife feels it in the back. Feels just like warped disks I've felt on a previous car Not present during normal driving just when on the brakes......
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 LCI Monte Carlo Blue

Sounds like it.

Please check your wheel nuts first just in case.

And before anyone else asks, are your wheels refurbished?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTP1980 View Post
Sounds like it.

Please check your wheel nuts first just in case.

And before anyone else asks, are your wheels refurbished?
Wheels nuts done up and when I swapped the summer wheels back on over Easter, and rechecked a few weeks later.

No re refurbished, cars only 11 months old with 11k miles on stock 403s.......
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Wheels nuts done up and when I swapped the summer wheels back on over Easter, and rechecked a few weeks later.

My wobble on braking was down to part of suspension being duff. Anyway stealer should be able to id the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Just a question. Do people sit with their foot on the brake in traffic against the gear box as opposed to putting the car into park when the engine or vehicle has stopped ??

Could this result in localised hot spotting on the discs resulting in warping ???
      06-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal27 View Post
Just a question. Do people sit with their foot on the brake in traffic against the gear box as opposed to putting the car into park when the engine or vehicle has stopped ??

Could this result in localised hot spotting on the discs resulting in warping ???
I was thinking this the other day, in manual car, I would always neutral and handbrake.

Now with auto, I am too lazy to put it in neutral and handbrake.

Never in park btw.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
I was thinking this the other day, in manual car, I would always neutral and handbrake.

Now with auto, I am too lazy to put it in neutral and handbrake.

Never in park btw.
Have to admit I do tend to put the car into neutral at junctions to avoid transmission sresses

If there for any length of time or ASS Has kicked in then into park as engine will fire up again when put into neutral.
      06-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 LCI Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:

Well, sounds like a straight forwards warranty job for the brakes. Nice new set of pads and discs for you and hopefully a nice loan car whilst they grovel.

And any suggestions of putting autos into neutral is pointless. These are advanced cars with advanced gearboxes designed to tolerate more a abuse than you can ever muster, including track days. Don't worry about it
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Well, sounds like a straight forwards warranty job for the brakes. Nice new set of pads and discs for you and hopefully a nice loan car whilst they grovel.

And any suggestions of putting autos into neutral is pointless. These are advanced cars with advanced gearboxes designed to tolerate more a abuse than you can ever muster, including track days. Don't worry about it
So being rear ended while in park will no longer result in a gearbox change, great that was always the nightmare, result with modern boxes then..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
tjlees
Major
England
Rep

Quote:

+1

obviously on trackdays put it in park with handbrake off.

Some of the old style autos on the Lambo/ferrari would burn out the clutch if not put in neutral at the lights/heavy traffic
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I don't even get a car! Though it is going in Thursday and only phoned today. I'm sure if it turns out to be a warranty job then it will be going back for the fix and a nice M4 for the day (yeah right lol!)

+3 re the auto. No mention in the manual of needing to do it, and seems stupid given the heavy lean towards autos these days, gearbox and brakes should be designed to cope with it.....
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #12
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Gave my brakes a hammering on a trackday. Took 22000 miles off the front pads in 3 hours!!!
No warped discs, secret is a cool down lap after being on circuit
MSport brakes are great, 1st trackday I haven't suffered fade.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #13
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the info re gearbox whilst stationary. Never had an auto before

Only concern was that if gearbox is trying to creep forward then applying the brakes will surely result in opposing forces wearing out brakes and or gearbox ????

For what it's worth just spoke to fat kid 1 - jlr engineering apprentice and he advised that it's ok to keep foot on brake as the torque converter will take care of the small bit of power coming through. This may adversely affect fuel economy

Putting the car into park could cause some gearbox damage if hit from behind or other impact causing the car to be forcibly moved.

Sitting on the brakes should be okay provided they're not too hot shouldn't be a problem.

Slightly off topic but something to consider !!!
      06-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal27 View Post
Thanks for the info re gearbox whilst stationary. Never had an auto before

Only concern was that if gearbox is trying to creep forward then applying the brakes will surely result in opposing forces wearing out brakes and or gearbox ????

For what it's worth just spoke to fat kid 1 - jlr engineering apprentice and he advised that it's ok to keep foot on brake as the torque converter will take care of the small bit of power coming through. This may adversely affect fuel economy
Don't forget the latest autos have Neutral Idle Control (NIC) which virtually disengages the torque converter when stationary. Reduces TC drag to something like 10% of normal. Reduces load on the engine and gearbox components, less fuel penalty while idling in gear.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #15
roshambo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Sport

If I got hit from behind or by any vehicle whilst in Park then I wouldn't care if my gearbox was mashed. It'd be the other party's insurance paying?
      06-02-2015, 01:50 AM   #16
Spacer
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i, becoming an X3!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshambo View Post
If I got hit from behind or by any vehicle whilst in Park then I wouldn't care if my gearbox was mashed. It'd be the other party's insurance paying?
Those were exactly my thoughts the last time this came up and was discussed. Someone hits me from behind, it will be their insurance paying, and if the gearbox gets destroyed so will the rear half of my car. Finally, it allows you to rest your foot while stationary for a while :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 03:49 AM   #17
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

I had my front discs replaced under warranty for being warped after 10k miles, 2nd set was replaced at 11k miles, third set lasted the 4k miles before the car was gone at 15k.

BMW couldn't explain the reason behind the issue, they provide instruction to bed the brakes by being completely gentle on your first full tank.

Racing or harsh acceleration and harsh braking can be a cause.

In my case I think driving like miss daisy was the last on my agenda.

Good luck with the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 03:58 AM   #18
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Cheers mate - now you've replied I remember it was you I was reading about.

In the first instance I was kind to them when new as the car was running in too, but usually the case with new brakes to go easy for the first few hundred miles as you say.

We'll see what they say on Thursday......
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #19
tjlees
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
Gave my brakes a hammering on a trackday. Took 22000 miles off the front pads in 3 hours!!!
No warped discs, secret is a cool down lap after being on circuit
MSport brakes are great, 1st trackday I haven't suffered fade.

I swear that at one stage the full maintenance pack included brakes and tyres in June 2014. Maybe this is why they stopped it!

Glad to see no fade!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #20
mit_p
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

My car has the m sport + pack on it which includes the larger brembo kit (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
The car is 2 months old, 2500 miles and I'm getting some judder through the steering wheel when braking. Could this be the same problem as op mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #21
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Possibly. I've temporarily postponed my apt as I have a go live in the morning and can't duck out to take the car in.

I've also been out and got the brakes up to temp and done some hard stops and it seems to have got a bit better so I'll monitor it before rebooking in. Might have had some friction material on the disks that I've now burnt off perhaps....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #22
tjlees
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Possibly. I've temporarily postponed my apt as I have a go live in the morning and can't duck out to take the car in.

I've also been out and got the brakes up to temp and done some hard stops and it seems to have got a bit better so I'll monitor it before rebooking in. Might have had some friction material on the disks that I've now burnt off perhaps....
Not sure that'll fix it. Tried the same with mine until the point the brakes were starting to smell badly. Convinced myself I'd fixed it, but the problem seem to come back.
Appreciate 0