E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > In-car Tablet Uses?

05-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Rhino.
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

In-car Tablet Uses?

Hey guys,

I have a Nexus 7 tablet sitting in my draw doing nothing. I'm also about to take reciept of a new iPhone 6 and a contract that allows me an extra 4GB of internet tethering allowance per month.

With my E90 being without idrive, I'm tempted to get the Nexus 7 mounted to use as a large screen sat-nav or similar.

Anyone done this kind of thing?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino. View Post
Hey guys,

I have a Nexus 7 tablet sitting in my draw doing nothing. I'm also about to take reciept of a new iPhone 6 and a contract that allows me an extra 4GB of internet tethering allowance per month.

With my E90 being without idrive, I'm tempted to get the Nexus 7 mounted to use as a large screen sat-nav or similar.

Anyone done this kind of thing?
Yes do a search.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:32 AM   #3
ckegg
台灣人
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 Silver

I have Nexus 7 in my car so I will share my DIY. I never use my DVD player and I don't have any buttons at center console below the player. I feel it is waste of the space over this area so I decided to put my Nexus 7 here.

I grab a dead hug power adapter for some HP small form factor computer, took it apart and the cover inner width fits a Nexus 7 perfectly, so I used it as my docking part.

Did some cutting work on the adapter cover so it can mount below my console cover. I bought an addition console cover in case I mess up my original one. I stripped leather pieces off a unused ipad covers and dress up my new docking.

I added a back support to hold my nexus 7, and there is a 5V 1A power adapter behind it to charge up my nexus 7 when docking it. Yeah I added a orange color led to light up a sheet of plastic underneath the back support so I can see where I can put my nexus 7 at. The back support also had a permanent magnet I removed from a hard drive which will keep my nexus 7 in place without falling while hard acceleration. I took apart my nexus and put a metal plate on the back cover so it will interact with the magnet.

The first gen Nexus 7 has GPIO pin, and it is why I chose first gen Nexus 7 but not other kind of tablets. The GPIO has two power line for charging and two audio out pins (left and right, the ground is shared with power pin). The tricky part is installing contact points on the docking to touch these GPIO pins. I used something that you can find from cell phone battery contacts; they move when you press them down. Finally, I only wired the power because no point to do audio out from Nexus 7 while their audio chip sucks.

When I install the docking to my console cover, I did not center it, I shift it to the right a little bit and leaving my volume knob out from factory audio system so I can still use it.

My Nexus 7 charges up fast on the docking, and I can easily take it off unlike some cellphone car holder with ugly click on clips. Of course, it will not fall off even I accelerate really hard or extremely driving. Nexus 7 has a really bright screen so it works great under sunlight, I also put a matte screen protector to avoid any reflection. I am using Waze with my Nexus 7 daily and it works much much much greater than factory GPS, and of course some other apps/videos I have on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by ckegg; 06-12-2015 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 0