BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

BPM

02-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
jr'sxi
jr'sxi
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi, sparkling graphite

Exclamation Question: The Courage - Dealer Dishonesty and Damage

I contracted to purchase a 335xi and was told i may be delayed as it was on the ship BEHIND the Courage. I had delivery scheduled for Tuesday and insurance cards sent to me. On Monday I received a call from the dealer who said it would not be delivered Tuesday but probably Saturday. At that time I asked 'are you sure it was on the boat behind the Courage?' and was told 'yes'. I changed the insurance effective date to Saturday.

Friday I received a call from the dealer telling me to change the effective date on the insurance as it would not be delivered Saturday and they couldn't promise exactly when it would be delivered. Again I asked 'are you sure it was on the boat behind the Courage?' and again I was told 'yes'.

Something didn't smell right so I went to the WWL shipping site and entered the VIN and found out the car WAS on the Courage. I called the dealer and was furious. They said their system doesn't tell exactly which ship the car is on but they would call the port again and find out the status. They called back and told me the car had a one inch scratch on the bumper and according to BMW policy the whole bumper had to be replaced.

I explained that, having been lied to in the first instance, I was not sure how to believe them about the extent of the damage. They reiterated that it was a one inch scratch.

So, here is the question. It is hard to find the exactly equipped car anywhere near me in another dealer's inventory. One other dealer has it minus the iPod integration (which I really did want). The first dealer asked me to give them to monday to see if they could get me a delivery date. So, should I believe them about the extent of the damage? Is there any documentation? Is there a way to verify what the dealer is telling me? Would you accept this vehicle? What to do, what to do , what to do?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
turb934
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'sxi View Post
I contracted to purchase a 335xi and was told i may be delayed as it was on the ship BEHIND the Courage. I had delivery scheduled for Tuesday and insurance cards sent to me. On Monday I received a call from the dealer who said it would not be delivered Tuesday but probably Saturday. At that time I asked 'are you sure it was on the boat behind the Courage?' and was told 'yes'. I changed the insurance effective date to Saturday.

Friday I received a call from the dealer telling me to change the effective date on the insurance as it would not be delivered Saturday and they couldn't promise exactly when it would be delivered. Again I asked 'are you sure it was on the boat behind the Courage?' and again I was told 'yes'.

Something didn't smell right so I went to the WWL shipping site and entered the VIN and found out the car WAS on the Courage. I called the dealer and was furious. They said their system doesn't tell exactly which ship the car is on but they would call the port again and find out the status. They called back and told me the car had a one inch scratch on the bumper and according to BMW policy the whole bumper had to be replaced.

I explained that, having been lied to in the first instance, I was not sure how to believe them about the extent of the damage. They reiterated that it was a one inch scratch.

So, here is the question. It is hard to find the exactly equipped car anywhere near me in another dealer's inventory. One other dealer has it minus the iPod integration (which I really did want). The first dealer asked me to give them to monday to see if they could get me a delivery date. So, should I believe them about the extent of the damage? Is there any documentation? Is there a way to verify what the dealer is telling me? Would you accept this vehicle? What to do, what to do , what to do?
If the article in the NY Times was accurate. "Mr. Plucinsky said BMW had contacted the customers affected. For models whose damage is less than 3 percent of its value, buyers can choose to accept a repaired car or a similar model, or have a new car built to order." I would be contacting Mr. Plucinsky that you had not been contacted.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe

I would re-order the car. If they respray the bumper it won't match 100% unless they blend the quarter panels.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
murellus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 x3m40i

not really m3 related but ok. more bmws than you know are damaged somehow during shipping and are fixed up at vpc, that being said, a 1inch gash on the bumper is probably commonplace. as far as your dealer is concerned, that is dick and i would raise hell with them.

if you get the car minus the ipod connx you can buy the kit and install it (if you dont mind doing that sort of thing yourself).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Why don't you wait until it comes in and see what it looks like. Make your decision then.
      03-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

see what it looks like and if its not so bad than ask them to fix it and knock off some $$ since they lied to you and that it an extreme incnvenience or you can go with the other car you found minus the ipod and just install it yourself
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
You can request a report on delivery that details all repairs that were done at VPC. The dealer installed ipod is similar but not exactly the same - it doesn't have a USB and lives in the glove compartment.
Appreciate 0