BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-18-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
hworang00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

Unhappy Misread the coding instructions...Drivetrain: Check soon error...

Hey guys, I'm kind of terrified right now. I read and reread the instructions but my finger slipped and I tapped Code on the ECU tab and after it finished my car came up with the "Drivetrain: Check soon" error. It won't go away after a restart (waited a few seconds to restart). I didn't change anything, the only thing I did was to read one of the CAFD files. I'm terrified and I'm taking it in tomorrow. Any one experience this? Anyone know what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

If you backed up your FA and SVT files before you coded, just reload them and you should be fine. If that doesn't work, the dealer can reload your software. No worries as long as you didn't click on the "Code Default Value" button.
      05-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hworang00 View Post
Hey guys, I'm kind of terrified right now. I read and reread the instructions but my finger slipped and I tapped Code on the ECU tab and after it finished my car came up with the "Drivetrain: Check soon" error. It won't go away after a restart (waited a few seconds to restart). I didn't change anything, the only thing I did was to read one of the CAFD files. I'm terrified and I'm taking it in tomorrow. Any one experience this? Anyone know what it could be?
Most likely, you VO coded whole SVT with motor running, and when it got to your DME ECU, it killed motor and stalled out car, and now your DME is missing it's CAFD.

You must inject new CAFD into DME and VO Code it now, and motor must NOT be running when you do it..

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 2
420Coupe222.50
      05-21-2015, 02:11 AM   #4
hworang00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Most likely, you VO coded whole SVT with motor running, and when it got to your DME ECU, it killed motor and stalled out car, and now your DME is missing it's CAFD.

You must inject new CAFD into DME and VO Code it now, and motor must NOT be running when you do it..
That sounds exactly like what happened...I read that you need constant power to the code so I had my car on...you seem very educated/experienced with coding...any chance you can send me a quick little write up or help me remotely? You can PM me the answer as to not get slammed by others.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 04:59 AM   #5
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hworang00 View Post
That sounds exactly like what happened...I read that you need constant power to the code so I had my car on...you seem very educated/experienced with coding...any chance you can send me a quick little write up or help me remotely? You can PM me the answer as to not get slammed by others.
Yes, this is true, but DME must never be coded with motor running.

From the Instructions:

*NOTE: A continuous power source of at least 12.6 Volts is needed. Failure to maintain proper voltage can lead to corruption of ECU Data. As such, ideally the car is connected to an external charger. In lieu of using an external charger, the car can instead be coded with the engine running in order to maintain proper voltage, which is acceptable for coding all ECU's EXCEPT the DME (Digital Motor Electronics) ECU or DDE (Digital Diesel Electronics) ECU. The DME/DDE are typically not coded anyway, so this ECU limitation is generally not an issue.

So to fix it, with the Motor OFF, perform the following:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on DME => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown => Select OK => Right-Click on DME (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 4
      05-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

This is exactly why I had my coding done for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #7
Yeoman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
This is exactly why I had my coding done for me.
A slip of the finger could happen to anyone.. it's nice to have balls, learn something new, and not be dependent on others.

Coding is a matter of simply following directions. It's hardly rocket science. Good luck, OP!
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2015, 12:40 AM   #8
samsway
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2015

I coded my own car. Researched the heck out of it first and did a fine job overall. I'm glad I did it myself.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #9
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

shawnsheridan Maybe there should be a "Lite" software w/o CODE ECU and Default Code Values buttons.
      05-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #10
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
shawnsheridan Maybe there should be a "Lite" software w/o CODE ECU and Default Code Values buttons.
A way to Disable Code Default Values would certainly be welcome.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #11
jbb4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428iX M- SPORT

Garage List
Error when coding DME2

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...HV2RVZhX2RXSEE

Quote:

From the Instructions:

*NOTE: A continuous power source of at least 12.6 Volts is needed. Failure to maintain proper voltage can lead to corruption of ECU Data. As such, ideally the car is connected to an external charger. In lieu of using an external charger, the car can instead be coded with the engine running in order to maintain proper voltage, which is acceptable for coding all ECU's EXCEPT the DME (Digital Motor Electronics) ECU or DDE (Digital Diesel Electronics) ECU. The DME/DDE are typically not coded anyway, so this ECU limitation is generally not an issue.

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on DME => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown => Select OK => Right-Click on DME (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #12
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What did you use for Power source when trying to repair DME?

Did you turn car off afterwards, and then restart it and check DME CAFD to see if it was fixed or still missing / corrupt?

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Just FYI to folks, there is a thread going on where we are working out a good external PSU that can provide enough juice to power the car. It was developed for flashing operations but I am planning on using while coding primarily. It should allow you to turn the car on and leave the engine off while coding and not run down the battery at all.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1262137
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 01:53 AM   #14
sam_darwi
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 3 series

Quote:

From the Instructions:

I have the same issue after trying to code
Drivetrain malfunction message and fuel supply

Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown
What's I-Level? Where it is please?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 10:05 AM   #15
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_darwi View Post
I have the same issue after trying to code
Drivetrain malfunction message and fuel supply

Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown
What's I-Level? Where it is please?
When you click on "Detect CAF for SWE", you are shown a list of CAFD files linked to I-Levels. Just pick newest (bottom) one.

Appreciate 0