ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
happycow6171
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

m4 vs m4 vert buying advice

Hi all,have been thinking of changing the 435i for a bit now and have been offered a m4 vert
Mineral grey
Sakhir orange leather
Convertible comfort pack, m head up, h+k, speed limit display, black alloys etc.
Deal is 9% off and over allowance on my car, just wondered if the coupe would be another option, slightly lower monthlies and does it drive alot better?.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
Hawaii i8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i8 coupe

Garage List
Its really a simple answer, either you love having the roof off or not. The coupe is going to be stiffer, lighter weight etc so if you are a track guy thats the way to go.. I personally love having the roof off and I live in Hawaii so the weather is perfect for a vert.
      05-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
WulsgM4
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT4 MG340i

I live in Scotland and had a BMW vert
Was not an M4 but she was a nice car had her for a year and had the roof down about 5 warm driving days out of the year were you felt warm with a t-shirt on driving , The other times one of my daughters asked me to drop her of at a friends house with the roof down and it was bloody cold but I will say I would only get a vert if I lived in warmer climates as we do not get the best of weather in the UK to justify a vert

M4 coupe all day long my friend
?????? When you drive your m4 vert at most 4 week of the year with the roof down people will look and
but when you drive an M4 people will always look and smile every day you drive it

Your choice ??????????????????????????
Happy thinking !!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
Hawaii i8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i8 coupe

Garage List
I just noticed the OP is from Wales - Defiantly a coupe then, you won't even need a sun roof! (My wife is Welsh so we know the joys of the weather in Wales) :-)
      05-16-2015, 03:04 AM   #5
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Vert looks cool when top opened.. But otherwise.. just doesn't work it for me.
      05-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible SS/SS

Garage List
Well I'll certainly be buying the convertible. I love driving with the roof down and it doesn't always have to be hot enough to just wear a t-shirt. There's nothing better than having the roof down on a crisp winter morning. With the heaters set to high and the heated seats, steering wheel and neck warmers on you'll be plenty warm enough.

I don't intend to track my car or drive it to the limit on public roads so for me the convertible is a no brainer. The difference in handling due to the additional weight and reduction in rigidity due to lack of a roof probably aren't noticiable to most but the added bonus of being able to drop the top is worth every penny to me.

Convertibles sell well in the UK. Better than in most other European countries. If it's too hot then you get burnt so UK weather is great plus we're desperate for some extra vitamin D

CH.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer View Post
Well I'll certainly be buying the convertible. I love driving with the roof down and it doesn't always have to be hot enough to just wear a t-shirt. There's nothing better than having the roof down on a crisp winter morning. With the heaters set to high and the heated seats, steering wheel and neck warmers on you'll be plenty warm enough.

I don't intend to track my car or drive it to the limit on public roads so for me the convertible is a no brainer. The difference in handling due to the additional weight and reduction in rigidity due to lack of a roof probably aren't noticiable to most but the added bonus of being able to drop the top is worth every penny to me.

Convertibles sell well in the UK. Better than in most other European countries. If it's too hot then you get burnt so UK weather is great plus we're desperate for some extra vitamin D

CH.
+10

Also added rear weight actually helps with rear traction. If you are obsessed with something like a 0.1 sec difference in 0-60 or plan on a significant amount of track time then you'll head for a coupe but there truly is essentially no difference as a DD and of course you can still have fun on a track if you want to. The added versatility is a no brainer for me - biggest daily use difference might be a reduction in trunk space with roof down but offset by the huge grin as you hear the real sound of your car!
      05-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
singh21
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

It's a hard top so it's a no brainier! Best of both worlds!

If your worried it will be slower than a standard coupe just tune it!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #9
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

Vert.
Appreciate 0