BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > E30 M3 Will Inspire a Future BMW

View Poll Results: Which Future Model Will Be Inspired by the E30 M3?
M2 CSL/GTS 12 75.00%
M4 GTS 4 25.00%
Z4 M Coupe (BMW - Toyota) 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

05-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
E30 M3 Will Inspire a Future BMW

In the May issue of the BMWCCA periodical, The Roundel, there is an article discussing comments made by Arian van Hooydonk, BMW Group director of design, on the subject of an E30 M3 inspired future model. Comments include rear wing and weight reduction. Since Mr. van Hooydonk was being tight-lipped, the Roundel speculates that the future model could be the M2 or a special-edition M2.

We've already heard this marketing ploy in the past with the 1M which was supposed to be the spiritual successor of the E30 M3 but in reality the two are very different with exception of both being very fun driver's cars.

Enjoy the read and let the speculating begin.
Attached Images

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
...... the future model could be the M2 or a special-edition M2.
I'll bite into your speculation offer, even if no one else will. Here is my speculation (subject to change):
Your comment suggests an either/or possibility. It's not going to be either an M2 or a special edition that gets produced. They will, in fact, produce both. And they'll produce both in the eight month production cycle which begins in November of this year.

Car #1) The base M2 is the entry level M car they think they need to recruit new buyers. It will be exciting, but, not too expensive, tailored to suit a younger, less affluent (but up and coming) market.

Car #2) The "special edition" M2 car, is a car designed to be part of their 100 year anniversary celebration which takes place in 2016. It will be a base model M2 but with a customer selected option that will produce a car which will be named the M2 CSL. The customer selected option will create a car with features which relate to famous M cars of the past - features, for example, styled after those on the e30 M3 and, perhaps, even the Series 1 e9 CSL "Batmobile." This relationship between the M2 CSL and it's "parents" will be featured prominently during the celebration.

End of speculation.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
I decided to add a poll since we now know the M4 GTS is a real model. With the M3/4 being the M division's bread and butter, would a M2 CSL/GTS really fit in without cannibalizing M4 sales?

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo
I decided to add a poll since we now know the M4 GTS is a real model. With the M3/4 being the M division's bread and butter, would a M2 CSL/GTS really fit in without cannibalizing M4 sales?
I hope they take the Apple approach- make the best stable of products, capture market share, grow revenue and don't worry about one product grabbing sales from another (i.e. iPad takes Mac sales, iPhone 6/6s take iPad sales).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo
Yes of course.

It Fits the same way an M2 fits below the M4 and the 235 fits below 435 without " cannibalizing sales "

What BMW is afraid of right now, is taking away 3 series sales by making a 2 series gran coupe. It wouldn't be loss of sales overall , as they would certainly sell more vehicles overall , but it could affect their 3/4 sales figures and they love to be on top of that market segment in volume.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
...... the future model could be the M2 or a special-edition M2.
I'll bite into your speculation offer, even if no one else will. Here is my speculation (subject to change):
Your comment suggests an either/or possibility. It's not going to be either an M2 or a special edition that gets produced. They will, in fact, produce both. And they'll produce both in the eight month production cycle which begins in November of this year.

Car #1) The base M2 is the entry level M car they think they need to recruit new buyers. It will be exciting, but, not too expensive, tailored to suit a younger, less affluent (but up and coming) market.

Car #2) The "special edition" M2 car, is a car designed to be part of their 100 year anniversary celebration which takes place in 2016. It will be a base model M2 but with a customer selected option that will produce a car which will be named the M2 CSL. The customer selected option will create a car with features which relate to famous M cars of the past - features, for example, styled after those on the e30 M3 and, perhaps, even the Series 1 e9 CSL "Batmobile." This relationship between the M2 CSL and it's "parents" will be featured prominently during the celebration.

End of speculation.
Talking to my UK dealer you could be right about the anniversary edition
Appreciate 0