E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida > Heading to Clearwater Beach in July

05-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Heading to Clearwater Beach in July

My wife and I are taking our last vacation this July, before our little man greets us in October. We wanted something affordable and on the beach, so we landed on Clearwater. We'll be there July 22-26.

We've already done a ton of research and Yelp'ing, but I wanted to throw this out to the e90post community and hear directly from the folks who live in/near the area.

Types of things we're looking for:
  • Breweries (for me)
  • Cigar bars (preferably outdoors, so my wife can actually go)
  • Due to dietary restrictions on my end, good non-seafood restaurants

Any recommendations on the above would be much appreciated. Aside from that, we will be at the beach each day, so are there any specific beaches we should check out? Any local fast food joints? Whenever we go to the West Coast, we hit up In N Out Burger, so I wasn't sure if there was anything similar in Florida.

How about car shows or cars and coffee meets going on that week/weekend?

Any events in general? Sights and sounds we need to see for ourselves?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing suggestions and recommendations.

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

My girlfriend and I stayed at sirata beach resort in Saint Pete not too long ago. It's right on the beach and plenty to do around it. Also was budget friendly and fairly nice! Give it a look
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Frenchies for grouper sandwiches.
siesta key
Orlando theme parks islands of adventure for adults.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
coolrockdaddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

in St Pete you could have a nice dinner on 4th st north @ the Bonefish Grill,good steaks and other seafood alternatives and then take in a Tampa Bay Rays baseball game just a couple of miles downtown or watch the game and have a couple of cold beverages at Fergs on Central Ave and then walk the beach under the moonlght and enjoy the seabreeze from the Gulf..........
Titanium Silver
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

If you want to pay, Berns steakhouse in Tampa has some of the best and largest wine cellar in North America.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrockdaddy View Post
in St Pete you could have a nice dinner on 4th st north @ the Bonefish Grill,good steaks and other seafood alternatives and then take in a Tampa Bay Rays baseball game just a couple of miles downtown or watch the game and have a couple of cold beverages at Fergs on Central Ave and then walk the beach under the moonlght and enjoy the seabreeze from the Gulf..........
If you're trying to steer the guy towards St Pete, there are many nicer options in downtown and the atmosphere is much better than Bonefish.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 07:37 AM   #7
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sed335i View Post
My wife and I are taking our last vacation this July, before our little man greets us in October. We wanted something affordable and on the beach, so we landed on Clearwater. We'll be there July 22-26.

We've already done a ton of research and Yelp'ing, but I wanted to throw this out to the e90post community and hear directly from the folks who live in/near the area.

Types of things we're looking for:
  • Breweries (for me)
  • Cigar bars (preferably outdoors, so my wife can actually go)
  • Due to dietary restrictions on my end, good non-seafood restaurants

Any recommendations on the above would be much appreciated. Aside from that, we will be at the beach each day, so are there any specific beaches we should check out? Any local fast food joints? Whenever we go to the West Coast, we hit up In N Out Burger, so I wasn't sure if there was anything similar in Florida.

How about car shows or cars and coffee meets going on that week/weekend?

Any events in general? Sights and sounds we need to see for ourselves?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing suggestions and recommendations.
Are you 100% set on Clearwater or is anything in the St Pete / Tampa / Clearwater area good?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #8
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Are you 100% set on Clearwater or is anything in the St Pete / Tampa / Clearwater area good?
We'll were staying in Clearwater, but we'll have a rental car so definitely open to the entire St Pete/Tampa/Clearwater area.

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #9
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

Here are my recommendations. I am a bit partial to St Pete now that I am in my 30's but when I was younger I preferred the South Tampa bar scene.

There are a ton of new breweries in St Pete. 3 Daughters and Green Bench are probably the best in terms of good brews and entertainment. If I were you, I would definitely spend an evening in downtown St Pete. Head down to Beach Drive and just walk around. It is a very chic/south beach type of feel. A ton of new and very good restaurants and bars.

There is a really nice roof top bar called the canopy that offers a great view of the city and bay. I always take friends and family there when they are in town. There is a cigar bar called Central Cigars that is in walking distance of Beach Drive.

When I moved to St Pete in 2007 from Ohio there were only a few bars that you would go to. Now you have about 50 to choose from. The downtown scene is booming!

South Tampa has a good, young bar scene as well. A lot of good bars on Howard and offers a younger crowd that St Pete.

I don't get out to Clearwater Beach much but it's probably the more touristy beach in the area. There is a good restaurant on the way in to Clearwater beach called Island Way Grill. They have a solid brunch.

I hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #10
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Nighttime 30s-50s st Pete, 20s Tampa. Bonefish grill is a chain. Not high quality. I like timpanos for steaks and Italian too. Bahama breeze isn't bad for fish. Stonewood grill too.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #11
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRik View Post
My girlfriend and I stayed at sirata beach resort in Saint Pete not too long ago. It's right on the beach and plenty to do around it. Also was budget friendly and fairly nice! Give it a look
Great to hear...I'll add it to the list, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Frenchies for grouper sandwiches.
siesta key
Orlando theme parks islands of adventure for adults.
I've actually been to Siesta Key. One of my ex's grandparents had a place there and we'd visit from time to time. Big retirement community, no?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrockdaddy View Post
We have Bonefish Grill up North and we typically try to avoid chains (fast food aside, of course), but everything else sounds good. The Rays are at home that weekend so we'll probably play it by ear, but may end up checking out a game. I'll be decked out in Red Sox gear, even though they aren't playing them, because I'm that guy!

Quote:
If you want to pay, Berns steakhouse in Tampa has some of the best and largest wine cellar in North America.
This sounds great. My wife is more of a wine person that I am, I'm more of a beer snob, myself. But definitely adding Berns to the list. Thanks, bro!

Quote:
If you're trying to steer the guy towards St Pete, there are many nicer options in downtown and the atmosphere is much better than Bonefish.
I appreciate the help, regardless. But as I mentioned earlier, we try to say NO to chains!

Quote:
Here are my recommendations. I am a bit partial to St Pete now that I am in my 30's but when I was younger I preferred the South Tampa bar scene.

There are a ton of new breweries in St Pete. 3 Daughters and Green Bench are probably the best in terms of good brews and entertainment. If I were you, I would definitely spend an evening in downtown St Pete. Head down to Beach Drive and just walk around. It is a very chic/south beach type of feel. A ton of new and very good restaurants and bars.

There is a really nice roof top bar called the canopy that offers a great view of the city and bay. I always take friends and family there when they are in town. There is a cigar bar called Central Cigars that is in walking distance of Beach Drive.

When I moved to St Pete in 2007 from Ohio there were only a few bars that you would go to. Now you have about 50 to choose from. The downtown scene is booming!

South Tampa has a good, young bar scene as well. A lot of good bars on Howard and offers a younger crowd that St Pete.

I don't get out to Clearwater Beach much but it's probably the more touristy beach in the area. There is a good restaurant on the way in to Clearwater beach called Island Way Grill. They have a solid brunch.

I hope this helps!
Exactly what I'm looking for here. My wife and I are both in our early 30s (31 and 32, respectively), and with her being 6+ months pregnant at the time of the vacation, we're probably not going to be looking for a ton of nightlife or loud ass night clubs. Cool, relaxed and beachfront is what we're looking for. I'll try and check out those breweries (and more), as that's one of my favorite things to do when traveling...try the local brews that I may not be able to get in Mass.

Downtown St. Pete sounds right up our alley and I can see us spending a day/night or two there, for sure. Rooftop bars are always a plus, too! She can drink mocktails whilst I indulge myself.

Island Way grill sounds great, too, and will be added to our list.

Quote:
Nighttime 30s-50s st Pete, 20s Tampa. Bonefish grill is a chain. Not high quality. I like timpanos for steaks and Italian too. Bahama breeze isn't bad for fish. Stonewood grill too.
My thoughts, exactly! OK so Timpanos, Bahama Breeze and Stonewood Grill. Cool, thanks man!

Any car-related events going on that week/weekend? I checked the local BMW CCA chapter and their website is rather, um, lacking in detail.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #12
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

My wife is 5 months pregnant so I know what you're going through. I'm 32 and she's 29.

Other breweries in the area:

Pair 'O Dice (about a 15 second walk from my office. Doesn't suck)
Rapp
Cycle Brewing
Cigar City (In Tampa close to the airport. The original brewery in the area known for their IPA Jai Alai)

Dupont Registry has a cars and coffee even on the third Saturday of every month. Very good meet with a lot of exotics. My car is a giant POS compared to most of the stuff that shows up there.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #13
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

I don't know Tampa for cars. Sorry. I know Orlando.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #14
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Tradewinds Restaurant in Clearwater. Don Cesar hotel. huge old money hotel in St Pete beach. I'd look up the different places on the net to see what you like. Siesta key community is old. Beach is younger and one of the nicest in Florida.for a quiet beach try honeymoon key. North of Clearwater. It's a state park.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #15
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Tradewinds Restaurant in Clearwater. Don Cesar hotel. huge old money hotel in St Pete beach. I'd look up the different places on the net to see what you like. Siesta key community is old. Beach is younger and one of the nicest in Florida.for a quiet beach try honeymoon key. North of Clearwater. It's a state park.
I had my wedding reception at the Don Cesar =)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #16
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

Quote:
Don Cesar is AMAZING! We had dinner there when we stayed at Sirata.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 10:47 PM   #17
2010MSPORT335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:

I hope this helps!
I agree with everything you've said. I live in clearwater and love Island Way Grille. I don't eat seafood either, there are plenty of choices.

In terms of breweries, besides the ones mentioned above, there is the Yuengling Factory and Cigar City Brewery.

I would make it a point to check the restaurant U-le-le out. Its by Downtown Tampa but is well worth the drive.
      05-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #18
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
My wife is 5 months pregnant so I know what you're going through. I'm 32 and she's 29.

Other breweries in the area:

Pair 'O Dice (about a 15 second walk from my office. Doesn't suck)
Rapp
Cycle Brewing
Cigar City (In Tampa close to the airport. The original brewery in the area known for their IPA Jai Alai)

Dupont Registry has a cars and coffee even on the third Saturday of every month. Very good meet with a lot of exotics. My car is a giant POS compared to most of the stuff that shows up there.
I am a fan of the Jai Alai IPA, might just need to check it out. Thanks for the info, bud. Also, congrats on your impending child!!! Exciting stuff.

Looks like I'll just miss the DuPont registry by one week, since I'll be there on the 4th Saturday of the month. Oh well.

Quote:
I don't know Tampa for cars. Sorry. I know Orlando.
Thanks, anyway!

Quote:
Noted, thanks!

Quote:
This Don Cesar place sounds pretty sweet.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #19
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Check things out on the Web. You'll have limited time and lots to do so that will help you decide what to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #20
ManyMoonsAgo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Downtown St. Pete definitely has a lot to offer, but if you want to stay close to Clearwater and not leave the west end of the county, here are some places for consideration:

Cristino's Coal Oven Pizza - Great casual spot for a traditional Neapolitan pizza (think margherita). They also have decent pasta and damn fine gelato. Beer selection is not the best, but the pizza more than makes up for it
http://www.cristinospizzeria.com/

E&E Steakout Grill - more traditional restaurant, steaks and chops and a south western flair.
http://www.3bestchefs.com/ee/

Guppy's - same owner as E&E, but more of a seafood tact. Still has non-seafood options as well
http://www.3bestchefs.com/guppys/

Salt Rock Grill - another steak and seafood place. Nice location, pretty scenery
http://www.saltrockgrill.com/

As far as local breweries, I am quite partial to Pair O' Dice as well as Rapp already mentioned in previous posts, but both being in the middle of the county means a bit of a drive. Closer to the gulf near Clearwater is Barley Mow:
http://www.barleymowbrewingco.com/

This is a smaller tasting room, but they do have quite a large outdoor area with picnic tables and seating biergarten style. There is also an above-average mom and pop BBQ place next door.

Hope this helps and you have a nice visit to the area.

Last edited by ManyMoonsAgo; 05-20-2015 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #21
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Lol now you have too much to do. Thx for pumping up the FL economy though.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #22
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Check things out on the Web. You'll have limited time and lots to do so that will help you decide what to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMoonsAgo View Post
Downtown St. Pete definitely has a lot to offer, but if you want to stay close to Clearwater and not leave the west end of the county, here are some places for consideration:

Cristino's Coal Oven Pizza - Great casual spot for a traditional Neapolitan pizza (think margherita). They also have decent pasta and damn fine gelato. Beer selection is not the best, but the pizza more than makes up for it
http://www.cristinospizzeria.com/

E&E Steakout Grill - more traditional restaurant, steaks and chops and a south western flair.
http://www.3bestchefs.com/ee/

Guppy's - same owner as E&E, but more of a seafood tact. Still has non-seafood options as well
http://www.3bestchefs.com/guppys/

Salt Rock Grill - another steak and seafood place. Nice location, pretty scenery
http://www.saltrockgrill.com/

As far as local breweries, I am quite partial to Pair O' Dice as well as Rapp already mentioned in previous posts, but both being in the middle of the county means a bit of a drive. Closer to the gulf near Clearwater is Barley Mow:
http://www.barleymowbrewingco.com/

This is a smaller tasting room, but they do have quite a large outdoor area with picnic tables and seating biergarten style. There is also an above-average mom and pop BBQ place next door.

Hope this helps and you have a nice visit to the area.
Quote:
Lol now you have too much to do. Thx for pumping up the FL economy though.
seriously!! You guys rock, though, this has all been a huge help. I can't wait to spend time researching all these spots and deciding where to go. I guess having too much to do is a better problem than the alternative. As long as we're poolside and at the beach as much as possible during the day, we're both pretty easy going. Should be a great trip.

If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to offer them up. If there aren't any car shows in the area that weekend, I selfishly think some of you guys should start up and promote a bimmerpost meet for locals that Saturday. I'll have my camera, just saying!

Appreciate 0