E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Those of you running Devil's Own or progressive Water/Meth

05-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
CO335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335D

Those of you running Devil's Own or progressive Water/Meth

I am about to install my Devil's Own kit and had a couple questions:

1. What size nozzle is everyone running?

2. What did you set your progressive boost controller to (Psi to come on and Psi max)?

3. Where did everyone tap in to get their 12v ignition power for the controller?

I will more than likely update this thread as question arise during my install. Thanks guys! I am pretty impressed with how helpful such a small group of enthusiasts have been.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

CO335D, there are various levels of tune out there, so taking someone else's settings is not your best bet. Also, you did not mention whether you would be running a H20/methanol mixture, and if so what the percentage would be.

H20 acts as a coolant. Evaporation can lower the intake temps and that is a good thing. When it gets in the combistion chamber it will lower exhaust temps. That can hurt performance at lower pressures and loads.

Methanol is also a coolant. But it is also a fuel. So it will counteract some of the heat it adds to the combustion chamber. Most folks run @ 50/50 mixtures to maximize the power from the methanol. Any mixture is going to clean the intake tract.

Some trigger on boost, some trigger on rpm, some trigger on a combination of boost and rpm. Some do stages with multiple nozzles and soleniods, some do progression with PMW of the pump, others do PWM of solenoids. If you don't log exhaust temps, your just playing. However, as a general rule you can safely inject a 50/50 mixture at 1/2 the volume flow rate of diesel fuel, at WOT, without quenching combustion. That equates to @ 300cc/min at maximum stock Hp.

For more information, please check the other threads that already exist in this forum, regarding this subject.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
I think Diesel Racer was a fan of Devil's Own.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

I'm running pieces of a Devilsown kit (pump and nozzles) with a piggyback controlling it.

I currently run a 3 and 7 nozzle together, controlled progressively with a map (at 50/50 mix). I believe that equates to about 660cc/min.

You can tap into power in the dde compartment under the cowl, there is a wad of positive wires that are joined together at a solder crimp that is heat shrinked from the factory....

Last edited by iaknown; 05-14-2015 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
CO335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
CO335D, there are various levels of tune out there, so taking someone else's settings is not your best bet. Also, you did not mention whether you would be running a H20/methanol mixture, and if so what the percentage would be.

H20 acts as a coolant. Evaporation can lower the intake temps and that is a good thing. When it gets in the combistion chamber it will lower exhaust temps. That can hurt performance at lower pressures and loads.

Methanol is also a coolant. But it is also a fuel. So it will counteract some of the heat it adds to the combustion chamber. Most folks run @ 50/50 mixtures to maximize the power from the methanol. Any mixture is going to clean the intake tract.

Some trigger on boost, some trigger on rpm, some trigger on a combination of boost and rpm. Some do stages with multiple nozzles and soleniods, some do progression with PMW of the pump, others do PWM of solenoids. If you don't log exhaust temps, your just playing. However, as a general rule you can safely inject a 50/50 mixture at 1/2 the volume flow rate of diesel fuel, at WOT, without quenching combustion. That equates to @ 300cc/min at maximum stock Hp.

For more information, please check the other threads that already exist in this forum, regarding this subject.
My apologies DWR, I should have been more specific. I will be running their boost (hence my reference to psi in OP) progressive controller. I will also be running Jarek's Stage 2 tune with all deletes (DPF, SCR, EGR). I won't run anything stronger than a 50/50 mix. I have read through all of the other water/meth threads in the forum, and none address exactly which wire people are tapping into for 12v ignition power. I was hoping someone would suggest a specific wire that they know doesn't control anything important and have had success drawing power from. I have read where someone was running a 10 nozzle (630ml/min) with boost coming on at 17 psi and going 100% at 25psi. I was wanting to compare/hear from other people as to where they have their controllers set.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO335D View Post
My apologies DWR, I should have been more specific. I will be running their boost (hence my reference to psi in OP) progressive controller. I will also be running Jarek's Stage 2 tune with all deletes (DPF, SCR, EGR). I won't run anything stronger than a 50/50 mix. I have read through all of the other water/meth threads in the forum, and none address exactly which wire people are tapping into for 12v ignition power. I was hoping someone would suggest a specific wire that they know doesn't control anything important and have had success drawing power from. I have read where someone was running a 10 nozzle (630ml/min) with boost coming on at 17 psi and going 100% at 25psi. I was wanting to compare/hear from other people as to where they have their controllers set.
No apologies, please. I clearly was not answering your question and cannot as I am not running a boost only control strategy. The apology is mine. iaknown's answer regarding the power tap echos my thoughts. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
... I have read through all of the other water/meth threads in the forum, and none address exactly which wire people are tapping into for 12v ignition power. I was hoping someone would suggest a specific wire that they know doesn't control anything important and have had success drawing power from...
FYI

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=11
      05-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Even better. Need to remember that. Hmm, bookmark instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #9
Kjelly
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
I am about to install my Devil's Own kit and had a couple questions:

1. What size nozzle is everyone running?

2. What did you set your progressive boost controller to (Psi to come on and Psi max)?

3. Where did everyone tap in to get their 12v ignition power for the controller?

I will more than likely update this thread as question arise during my install. Thanks guys! I am pretty impressed with how helpful such a small group of enthusiasts have been.
I finally had my Snow MPG Max kit installed.

1) I'm running a 60 and 225 ml/min nozzle

2) My initial setting has the 60 nozzle come on at 5 psi, and the 225 come on at 10. It was great for full out on the dyno, but cruising on hills, it was too much and I had some quenching occur.

New setting has 10psi for the first nozzle, and then 20 for the second.

3) My installer could not find a 12V source. I wish I had saw TDIwyse's post last night.

I also attached a pdf file of my dyno graph. I'm not certain the validity of it, but it's at least consistent. The first and second runs (two lowest HP numbers) had no meth added. The third and fourth runs (two highest HP) had meth added at different psi triggers.

Best gains had 12 horses and 30 ft-lbs.

I'll take pictures of the install tomorrow, hopefully.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 335dDyno15May2015.pdf (2.14 MB, 311 views)
Appreciate 0