THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Why I'm getting a 228i after all

05-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Smile Why I'm getting a 228i after all

I'm still driving a 2000 323Ci (E46) that I love. Before that I had a 1988 325 (E30) that I still miss. So I thought my next car would be another entry-model 3-series. However, after driving many loaner cars from my BMW dealer over the years, I was disappointed that none of them were as much fun to drive as my 323Ci. It's light, handles really well, has excellent (hydraulic) steering feel, 50-50 balance, and RWD. It's not fast (7.7 sec 0-60 as I recall), having little low-end torque, but in 2nd or 3rd gear with the revs up it is very nimble. It's great at accelerating through curves, and for me that's way more fun than doing stop light sprints.

In 2012 I started looking for a replacement because my car was becoming too unreliable.

When the 2013 FR-S/BRZ came out from Scion/Subaru it went to the top of my list. It was light, low, balanced, with RWD, and praised in car mags for its handling. It's underpowered, but does 0-60 in 7.3 sec which is a little better than my 323Ci. I never test drove one. I've been told that it is noisy/crude compared to a BMW. It's probably acceptable for me, but seems most suited for those on a tight budget who will tune, modify and race, and less suited for comfortable daily use and occasional road trips.

Then along came the 2015 GTI. It looked impressive and was widely praised. It has lots more function, performance, and comfort than the FR-S/BRZ, for not much more money. I joined a few GTI forums and read them a lot. I've never owned a FWD car so I had reservations, but with the optional Perf Pack it has an electronically-controlled front differential that shifts torque to the outside wheel when accelerating through a turn, improving performance and feel. In the limit it will still understeer, being 60-40 balanced, but for a FWD car it looked to be very good. Maybe as good as FWD gets. It will do 0-60 in about 6 sec.

I test drove a GTI (without Perf Pack) and liked it, but the salesman rode with me and that spoiled the ride. I guess he added about 250 lbs, plus he kept demonstrating stuff like the sunroof and how loud the stereo could get. The available roads didn't have much in the way of curves or hills, so I never got a feel for how it goes through curves. It's brakes felt soft – the brake peddle required a lot of travel. Hopefully that is fixable. In Sport mode the Soundaktor made too much noise, but that is easy to disable.

Seeing all the praise for the M235i in the press, I knew that it would be far better than the GTI. However, configured to my liking the GTI would cost $34K whereas the M325i would cost $50K. That additional $16K is hard for me to justify. Most of my driving is going to the store, gym, … for which an M235i would be gross overkill. I decided to test drive a 228i which would only cost $40K. I liked it better than the GTI, plus I was still not sure how happy I would be with the FWD of the GTI "down the road".

So I ordered a 228i M Sport with the Technology Package, Driver Assistance Package (really need to stop backing over neighborhood kids), and Light Package. It was manufactured last week and should be ready for me at the dealership in 2-3 weeks. I can't wait!!!

BTW, I passed on the Premium Package because it had nothing I wanted and cost a lot. The dealer told me that the Premium Package adds “just over 300 lbs” to the weight of the car, which is a lot. He said most of that weight comes from the power seats, followed by the sunroof. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Does anyone have weight information for the various 2-series options? I can't find any on the web so far. The weight of the car seriously impacts performance and MPG, but maybe car manufacturers don't want that factor to influence the buyer's choice of options.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDdrifter View Post
I'm still driving a 2000 323Ci (E46) that I love. Before that I had a 1988 325 (E30) that I still miss. So I thought my next car would be another entry-model 3-series. However, after driving many loaner cars from my BMW dealer over the years, I was disappointed that none of them were as much fun to drive as my 323Ci. It's light, handles really well, has excellent (hydraulic) steering feel, 50-50 balance, and RWD. It's not fast (7.7 sec 0-60 as I recall), having little low-end torque, but in 2nd or 3rd gear with the revs up it is very nimble. It's great at accelerating through curves, and for me that's way more fun than doing stop light sprints.

In 2012 I started looking for a replacement because my car was becoming too unreliable.

When the 2013 FR-S/BRZ came out from Scion/Subaru it went to the top of my list. It was light, low, balanced, with RWD, and praised in car mags for its handling. It's underpowered, but does 0-60 in 7.3 sec which is a little better than my 323Ci. I never test drove one. I've been told that it is noisy/crude compared to a BMW. It's probably acceptable for me, but seems most suited for those on a tight budget who will tune, modify and race, and less suited for comfortable daily use and occasional road trips.

Then along came the 2015 GTI. It looked impressive and was widely praised. It has lots more function, performance, and comfort than the FR-S/BRZ, for not much more money. I joined a few GTI forums and read them a lot. I've never owned a FWD car so I had reservations, but with the optional Perf Pack it has an electronically-controlled front differential that shifts torque to the outside wheel when accelerating through a turn, improving performance and feel. In the limit it will still understeer, being 60-40 balanced, but for a FWD car it looked to be very good. Maybe as good as FWD gets. It will do 0-60 in about 6 sec.

I test drove a GTI (without Perf Pack) and liked it, but the salesman rode with me and that spoiled the ride. I guess he added about 250 lbs, plus he kept demonstrating stuff like the sunroof and how loud the stereo could get. The available roads didn't have much in the way of curves or hills, so I never got a feel for how it goes through curves. It's brakes felt soft – the brake peddle required a lot of travel. Hopefully that is fixable. In Sport mode the Soundaktor made too much noise, but that is easy to disable.

Seeing all the praise for the M235i in the press, I knew that it would be far better than the GTI. However, configured to my liking the GTI would cost $34K whereas the M325i would cost $50K. That additional $16K is hard for me to justify. Most of my driving is going to the store, gym, … for which an M235i would be gross overkill. I decided to test drive a 228i which would only cost $40K. I liked it better than the GTI, plus I was still not sure how happy I would be with the FWD of the GTI "down the road".

So I ordered a 228i M Sport with the Technology Package, Driver Assistance Package (really need to stop backing over neighborhood kids), and Light Package. It was manufactured last week and should be ready for me at the dealership in 2-3 weeks. I can't wait!!!

BTW, I passed on the Premium Package because it had nothing I wanted and cost a lot. The dealer told me that the Premium Package adds “just over 300 lbs” to the weight of the car, which is a lot. He said most of that weight comes from the power seats, followed by the sunroof. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Does anyone have weight information for the various 2-series options? I can't find any on the web so far. The weight of the car seriously impacts performance and MPG, but maybe car manufacturers don't want that factor to influence the buyer's choice of options.
You just pretty much described my shopping experience. I wanted a BRZ, but practical considerations (6-4, gotta haul around music gear, etc.) ruled it out. I had a PP-equipped GTI on order for a time, even (2-door SE w/DSC; not a popular config, I'm told). Then (I'm sure you know all about this), I learned how much VW screwed up PP GTI availability for 2015 and how orders are actively discouraged by VWoA's business model and dealerships, and learned that I'd likely not get a car built to my specs until late summer/early fall and the 2016 model year. All that, and the great fun I had with a RWD 370z three cars ago, convinced me that my No. 2 choice -- the 228i M Sport that I really wanted and now own -- was fate.

You made the right choice, good sir. Welcome!

(Now someone develop a decent street-able catback for this car already!)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Brilliant decision. Owned my 2014 228 Msport, six speed, HK sound, lighting package for a year now and love it more each day. TOTALLY trouble free and a joy to drive. I bought it as my dream retirement car and have no regrets.
      05-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
AWheeler
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Agree with the others, you made a great choice. I came from a MkVI GTI and found the 2-series to be a great upgrade in terms of refinement/amenities, handling, and of course power. I sprung for the 6 cylinder because I craved a big jump in power, but after a few months of ownership I think I would be perfectly happy with the 4 cylinder in my next car.

For the money and hatchback practicality, the GTI always deserves some praise, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

no THP ?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWheeler View Post
Agree with the others, you made a great choice. I came from a MkVI GTI and found the 2-series to be a great upgrade in terms of refinement/amenities, handling, and of course power. I sprung for the 6 cylinder because I craved a big jump in power, but after a few months of ownership I think I would be perfectly happy with the 4 cylinder in my next car.

For the money and hatchback practicality, the GTI always deserves some praise, though.
Thanks everyone for the words of welcome and encouragement.

Yes, the GTI is very impressive. I've always driven two-door coupes but (oddly) I really liked the body of the 4+1-door GTI! Very practical. Clean lines. I came very close to buying one. Tradeoffs can be hard.

Still, the 2-series is substantially better and comes in two flavors!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Congratulations on the marked upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #8
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

All your reasons for getting the 228 make perfect sense. I do have one issue and that is the dealer's assertion that it would add 300 pounds. I call BS. Granted, I don't have first hand information, but logically 300 pounds make no sense. The car mags will often have these features on their tested cars, and it is not mentioned and does not appear to make a difference in performance. Furthermore, my guess that at most it would 50 pounds. Not saying that there is no significance to that, but that's a huge difference to 300 pounds. Moonroofs, unlike convertibles, don't require additional structural elements which add weight. The power seats are a few pounds. The ambient lighting is LED, thus maybe a few ounces. The Homelink (which was the must for me) probably adds a few pounds at most. In other words, sounds like a sales job, but I suppose it's moot since you made a fine decision with the 228i.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #9
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWheeler View Post

Yes, it does, particularly the 2015. It's a really fun car to toss around. I noted some torque steer during my test drive, which is why I HAD to have the PP; the eLSD would quash that nicely. The ergonomics are better overall than the 228i's, too -- and, IMHO, it has the best seats I've ever sat in in a mass-produced car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
no THP ?
I wanted THP, in general and especially for the better brakes, but the BMW configurator (for 2015, maybe not for 2014) would not let my choose the M Sport line and THP. Choosing THP would force the Sport Line line. Beauty is very subjective, but I like the front of the M Sport car and dislike the front of the Sport Line car. I will look at the front of the car every day, but can do without THP. So it goes. If only the BMW configurator options were more flexible.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #11
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Your logic in the decision process is to be complimented. With that in mind, I believe you will enjoy your next BMW acquisition. Let us know after your take delivery and get some time behind the wheel. Good luck!
      05-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
All your reasons for getting the 228 make perfect sense. I do have one issue and that is the dealer's assertion that it would add 300 pounds. I call BS. Granted, I don't have first hand information, but logically 300 pounds make no sense. The car mags will often have these features on their tested cars, and it is not mentioned and does not appear to make a difference in performance. Furthermore, my guess that at most it would 50 pounds. Not saying that there is no significance to that, but that's a huge difference to 300 pounds. Moonroofs, unlike convertibles, don't require additional structural elements which add weight. The power seats are a few pounds. The ambient lighting is LED, thus maybe a few ounces. The Homelink (which was the must for me) probably adds a few pounds at most. In other words, sounds like a sales job, but I suppose it's moot since you made a fine decision with the 228i.
Yes, 300 lbs sounds high to me too. It would be nice have the facts. However, I'm sure the power seats add more than a few pounds. Each of them has to have a bunch of motors, etc., that can reliably deal with a potentially heavy occupant. I'd guess that each power seat adds more than 50 lbs. Well worth the function for many owners, not a good thing for the track. Again, facts would be welcome.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #13
opfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rabbit

Quote:
I wanted THP, in general and especially for the better brakes, but the BMW configurator (for 2015, maybe not for 2014) would not let my choose the M Sport line and THP. Choosing THP would force the Sport Line line. Beauty is very subjective, but I like the front of the M Sport car and dislike the front of the Sport Line car. I will look at the front of the car every day, but can do without THP. So it goes. If only the BMW configurator options were more flexible.
umm

I have no problems creating an msport 228 with THP pack on the bmw website.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #14
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

I have a Moonlight Silver 228i M Sport and can confirm that it is superb driver's car. Mine had just about all the other options, too (apart from the HK audio, which is slightly annoying as the factory system is weak) but that is mainly because the dealership had just received it, I got a decent deal and didn't want to wait for one built entirely to my specs. I like the electric seats because I live in the town of short valet parkers (Los Angeles) and I have grown to appreciate the Driver Assistance Package, even though I had previously dismissed it as being for old ladies. I like the USB connectivity (I think that's an add-on) and the full iDrive functionality.

Most important, though, much more so than any of the above, is the way it drives. It caught my attention when I read several euphoric reviews claiming that it was BMW's triumphant return to the concept of the small, fast coupe, and even accounting for the hyperbole, this is no idle claim; the car (I can only speak for the M Sport) is fierce when driven spiritedly, extremely quick and eager to accelerate. The smooth-shifting eight-speed auto transmission is a thing of beauty (my first auto in 17 years) because with eight gears you are almost always in the most productive rev band for best torque. The optional six-speed m/s with paddles is good, too, but slower 0 - 60 than the auto. I find the paddles useful to override the auto on the few occasions when I know I want to downshift before the car will and I do not want to accomplish it by adding throttle input.

I test-drove the 235i, loved it and get occasional twinges of regret at not going for it. However, it's much more expensive, and arguably less value for the money compared to a loaded 228i and I am pretty sure, having driven both cars fairly enthusiastically, that the M Sport is only a tenth or two slower to 60 MPH (at about 5.1 sec) than the M235i.

If the optional packages that came with my 228i added 300lb to the car, I'd be a little sad about that but I am skeptical. And even with such possible extra heft, the M Sport is very. very quick; I have yet to run out of torque in it, at any speed, in any gear.

Congrats and keep us posted!
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #15
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post
umm

I have no problems creating an msport 228 with THP pack on the bmw website.
I guess you are right. It was a while ago. Maybe it was the changing of wheels that caused a switch to Sport Line. Anyway, I don't think I need THP for the kinds of driving I will be doing. I guess I'll never know. Too bad I didn't get test drives with and without THP.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #16
opfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rabbit

Quote:
I guess you are right. It was a while ago. Maybe it was the changing of wheels that caused a switch to Sport Line. Anyway, I don't think I need THP for the kinds of driving I will be doing. I guess I'll never know. Too bad I didn't get test drives with and without THP.
Your right about the wheels I belive
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #18
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
that's really weird... i don't see why M-sport wouldn't let you do THP... maybe the configurator was broken at the time...

ya m-sport bumper looks nicer
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #19
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

M Sport has the bigger air scoops at the front, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #20
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
M Sport has the bigger air scoops at the front, right?
Yep, M-Sport has the larger openings in the front air dams and no fog/driving lights.

Funny though, I didn't get the M-Sport and went with the Sport Line for paint options and the less-aggressive front end. Wish I could have the rocker panels and dual outlets though...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 07:36 PM   #21
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Based on past experience with E28 power and non-powered seats, I would say there is maybe a 25-35lb difference between the seats, per seat. They ARE heavy, but not ridiculously so! The sunroof is also 35lbs or so for the glass, tray, and motor - that glass roof is really small, might even be less than that. The rest of the premium package stuff is inconsequential. I'd call it 100lbs max for the whole package.

For me, I really do kind of want a 228i. But I ended up ordering an M235i because I don't want to do without Comfort Access and a couple of the other Premium Pkg bits, but I don't want the mandatory sunroof. I don't fit with a helmet on with the sunroof. And once you load up a 228i, the M235i is just not much more expensive, particularly for Euro Delivery. If only we could order them the way the Europeans do, option by option. And those cloth seats!! I would totally pay extra for what they get for FREE.

BTW - if they just finished production, you are looking at 6-8weeks for delivery. Unless things have changed massively lately - or you are having it air freighted somehow! When I bought my e91, it took 1 week to get from Amsterdam (I did Euro Delivery) to the boat, then 5 weeks on the boat to NJ. Amazingly, it got off the boat in NJ on Friday, and was at my dealer in Maine on Monday morning!

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #22
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
I have a Moonlight Silver 228i M Sport and can confirm that it is superb driver's car. Mine had just about all the other options, too (apart from the HK audio, which is slightly annoying as the factory system is weak) but that is mainly because the dealership had just received it, I got a decent deal and didn't want to wait for one built entirely to my specs. I like the electric seats because I live in the town of short valet parkers (Los Angeles) and I have grown to appreciate the Driver Assistance Package, even though I had previously dismissed it as being for old ladies. I like the USB connectivity (I think that's an add-on) and the full iDrive functionality.

Most important, though, much more so than any of the above, is the way it drives. It caught my attention when I read several euphoric reviews claiming that it was BMW's triumphant return to the concept of the small, fast coupe, and even accounting for the hyperbole, this is no idle claim; the car (I can only speak for the M Sport) is fierce when driven spiritedly, extremely quick and eager to accelerate. The smooth-shifting eight-speed auto transmission is a thing of beauty (my first auto in 17 years) because with eight gears you are almost always in the most productive rev band for best torque. The optional six-speed m/s with paddles is good, too, but slower 0 - 60 than the auto. I find the paddles useful to override the auto on the few occasions when I know I want to downshift before the car will and I do not want to accomplish it by adding throttle input.

I test-drove the 235i, loved it and get occasional twinges of regret at not going for it. However, it's much more expensive, and arguably less value for the money compared to a loaded 228i and I am pretty sure, having driven both cars fairly enthusiastically, that the M Sport is only a tenth or two slower to 60 MPH (at about 5.1 sec) than the M235i.

If the optional packages that came with my 228i added 300lb to the car, I'd be a little sad about that but I am skeptical. And even with such possible extra heft, the M Sport is very. very quick; I have yet to run out of torque in it, at any speed, in any gear.

Congrats and keep us posted!
Thanks, I'm really dying to drive it. I got the 8-speed auto too. It's just too good to not have. It wasn't that long ago that automatics were called slush boxes for good reason. Here the computer can shift better than a skilled driver, and much better than a mediocre driver. Plus, as you point out, you can always take control manually whenever you want.

I got mine in Mineral Grey Metallic. That's close to the grey of the 1988 325 (E30) I used to own and love. I also stuck with the Black SensaTec upholstery because that's on my 2000 323Ci (E46) and still looks like new (except for a little wear on the left edge of the drivers seat). Leather sounds more luxurious but I've no experience with it.

A few days before my car began production I had the dealer add the HK sound option, again partly because I have HK on my 323Ci and it's been fine, and parly because the dealer offered me a $150 discount. But since then I've read postings that the 2-series sound sucks in general. I listened to both HK and non-HK at the dealer and they both sounded fine to me. Maybe the HK was a waste of money.

Whatever weight the options add, it happens on all cars. We're starting with an amazing base car and it will continue to be an outstanding drivers car. GTIs, Caymans, ... get a little slower too as one adds features.
Appreciate 0