THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes "Chassis Stabilization" CEL / Warning and Clunking

05-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
bbbenwilliamson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

"Chassis Stabilization" CEL / Warning and Clunking

Story:

Bought the car, put about 6,000 miles on it bone stock.

2015 6pd M235i EWG, dynamic suspension and all that crap. Fully loaded with all M-performance minus the limited slip.

Installed HR Sport springs and 15mm ECS wheel spacers at 6k miles.

1) TERRIBLE clunking noise after spring and spacer install. The clunking was rotational and went away at about 40mph.
2) About 200 feet into the first test drive, this "Chassis stabilization" light / warning comes on. Car was still drivable, though, and it didn't restrict my speed. It was just telling me to drive moderately. After about 10 minutes, the light went away. This was the least of my concerns at the time.
3) I was getting TERRIBLE torque steer (or something like it), to the point where I had to put my flashers on and drive it to get aligned right away. I was hitting bumps and the car would jerk so far right and left, that I almost went off the road.

To give insight, I've driven about 10 lowered cars before this. VW, Audi, BMW, porsche….Springs, spacers, air ride, coil-overs, etc. Ive had "handling" issues with springs before… maybe some more body rolling, that went away when the springs settled. This is not that. When I take turns, I can't even stay in my freakin seat! If i take a hard turn, I will literally be forced into the door.

Anyway, the clunking and what seemed to be some kind of body movement when I hit bumps in the road, went mostly away. I STILL feel that the car doesn't handle correctly, and I still and forced into my doors when I turn hard. I really didn't think spacers would make that much of a difference, and they never had in the past. Ive even tracked cars with spacers and have had ZERO performance issues. The spacers are 15mm all around, are hub centric, and were pretty straight forward going on… The bolts on the wheels are torqued to spec…

Since all of this, the following parts were installed. JB4, BMS intake, performance exhaust. These parts were AFTER the above problems, so I know the issue with the chassis stabilization light isn't from the tune. (But who knows at this point)

So just today, I started my car, and the light went on again. This time, it wouldn't let me accelerate over 2,000 RPM regardless of the gear I was in. It almost made me hit my face on the steering wheel when I pulled out of my parking spot in 1st. The car SLAMMED me forward and starting bouncing RPM all over the place. It was trying to somehow cut power ( I think ).

However, this only happens when the clutch is fully disengaged…. I managed to drive the car home with kind of half-assing the clutch (terrible). I took off the JB4, intake, and the problem still exists. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement. The spring install was more straight forward than pretty much every suspension install I've ever done (upwards of 50). Everything is on properly, tight, and there are no visible issues with any wiring or sensors. The sway bar end links are on correctly, secured, and tight. None of this makes sense to me, and my car salesman at BMW told me that I would have to remove the springs and all aftermarket parts just to bring the car in for them to look at it…

Idk if I'm looking for help or what at this point. Maybe somebody who has dealt with something similar?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fire Spittin 435i

Man, thats effed up !!!! Sorry to hear that.

Have you comfirmed 100% that the shocks are seated properly top and bottom?

Double check the part number of springs you installed, make sure theyre correct.

Does car drive straight when u let go pf steeering wheel ?

Not sure this can be done, but , can u reset the ecu somehow ? By dis******ting neg batt cable for xx minutes. DONT DO UNTIL CHECKING 1st!!!

REMOVE FRONT SPACERS, and test.

Then remove rear spacers and check.

Worst case scenario....

Remove fromt springs and put back stocks, and check.

Lastly, remove rear springs and replace stocks and check

Do step by step like this, so by process of elimination, YOU WILL FIND THE PROBLEM.

If you remove all of it all at once, youll never know!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fire Spittin 435i

Also, double check all sensors, connectors, etc... Make sure nothing came loose.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
bbbenwilliamson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Will do guys. Thank you. This sucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:05 PM   #5
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous: F22 M235i ; F80 M3 ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by schybrid
Also, double check all sensors, connectors, etc... Make sure nothing came loose.
+1 my guess as well
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 05:24 AM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I agree with removing the spacers, but start with the rear. Easiest stuff first.
You disconnected the battery when installing jb4 & rubber gloves ?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
WhollySmokes
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Man... Sounds like nothing but bad luck for you between this and your JB4 issues. I hope you track down the problem and I hope it's something simple.

I'm sure once you pull everything apart again, the problem will be obvious. Best of luck.
      05-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
i8ur911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 228i MSport

This a guess but it could have to do with one of your EDC wires getting crimped. I'm not sure how much is involved with EDC and the ECU, but I would think that this could cause an issue. I don't see spacers and/or springs themselves causing it.
Appreciate 0