E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > i wonder...

06-06-2005, 11:48 PM   #1
romeo26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 325 (no lette)

i wonder...

does any have a picture of the engine? with and without the plastic cover?

will it be safe to drive the 325 with dtc fully off?

thx
romeo26

ps. when i get my car i plan on driving it with the dtc off.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 02:49 AM   #2
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo26

Well, if you're a good driver and don't do anything too crazy, then it should be "safe" Don't complain if something bad happens if you turn it off. Also, I'd keep it on in inclement weather.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 04:40 AM   #3
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Why would you want to drive with the dtc off? It doesn't really hinder on your driving experience...but picture this -> you are cruising down the highway at rediculous speeds when some granny in her hyundai cuts infront of you...1. no dtc - you attempt to swerve out, you car oversteers, slide around all over the place, hit a few cars and bang $40k in a pile of sheet metal OR 2. dtc on- you swerve, the car slides out a bit, dtc cuts in, slows down the left front wheel (by using the brakes) stops the car over/understeering...with alot of tyre noise and sweat you come out alive with possibly only a scratch.

By wanting to turn the dtc off, you are trying to act cool. If you are such an amazing driver that you really don't need it, rather leave it on...because it can only help you to come out of your near miss with a perfect car (because of your brilliant driving ability).

Your choice though, I just think you're being an idiot. Leave the dtc off, don't put your seatbelt on, disconnect the airbags and while you are there just unhinge the doors and loosen the bolts on the seat...they are all there for the same purpose. To keep you alive.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 05:45 AM   #4
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

I presume we are talking about driving with DTC ON. Normally, DTC is off - the DSC is in non-DTC mode. By pressing the DTC button, you change the mode of operation of the DSC into "DTC".

Or you can turn the DSC entirely off, which would be kind of crazy for normal driving.

The DSC will allow maneuvers which are just impossible without it.

Back in '97, the Corvette people demo'ed their "Active Handling" (A.H. is functionally similar to DSC) to the press, repeatedly performing a lane change maneuver at high speed that caused the 'vette to spin out with A.H. turned off. A motoring journalist who thought he was an expert, and had made the maneuver with the A.H. on, decided that he was such a genius, he'd do it with the A.H. off. Twelve runs later he gave up.

My Corvette has Active Handling, and I would never turn it off, except in very predictable circumstances on a track that I had driven in recent minutes so that I had a knowledge of any water or oil spots, and with no oncoming traffic. Active Handling has saved me from "situations" a number of times over the last seven years, usually in wet or snowy conditions. But it could have been an emergency maneuver on dry road caused by another driver or child chasing a ball.

But, if you like challenges, go to a deserted road where you'll kill no other people, and turn DSC off. And for greater excitement and challenge, disconnect the front brakes which are another unnecessary invention. That's how they used to build "real" cars! And, for best results, twist a little sideways with your back partly against the driver's door, arm out the window gripping the roof and steering with only one hand. Removing the seat belt does make this easier, as suggested by the previous poster.

Quote:

thx
romeo26

Last edited by johnfkitchen; 06-07-2005 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: can't spell
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
spikes111
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

thx
romeo26

Here's a picture of the engine.
Attached Images

06-07-2005, 11:29 AM   #6
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

hey all, cars have only in the past few years have cars had stability control (let's skip the DTC, ASC, DSC....) BMW's are probably MORE safe to drive with stability control off than the vast majority of cars on the road since they've got better handling than most cars on the road. if you're going autocrossing the stability control will actually hurt you.

but on the other hand, I drive alot, and have seen many cars in dry conditions on the freeway just spin and hit the center divide, probably these cars wouldn't have spun with stability control. Stability control saves inattentive and incompetant drivers
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #7
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

DSC, DTC will hinder your driving if you're driving hard

I'm not sure if anyone else has had the throttle just cut itself off since the car thinks you're out of control, but it's annoying as all heck.

not that you should be driving like that on the street, but if you know noone's around or you're in a racing environment stability control will slow down a skilled driver
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
romeo26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 325 (no lette)

well the one where you press the button for one second. sry for not saying this. my e30 doesnt have dsc or dtc and i allways try to get the rear endto come lose only happened couple times. my e30 is chipped. so i might be able to handle to handle driving with that dtc(not the dsc rite?) thing your talknig about! will the dtc allow me to drift allittle?

nice picture of the engine!! anyone took off the cover though?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 06:26 PM   #9
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Its quite likely that if DSC is cutting into your driving on dry roads that you are probably driving harder than it is safe. You shouldn't really be pushing your car to 9/10ths on the streets. If not for your own sake at least think of others who should never have to pay the price if you happen to lose control of your car.

In fact, if you ARE driving this hard on surface streets instead of a track, I would IMPLORE you to leave all the DSC stuff on to prevent any kind of a disaster. None of you are F1 racers and even they screw up. Do you want somebody's blood on your hands?

Be responsible, safe, and mature drivers people. Save the 9/10ths and 10/10ths driving for the track eh?