BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Exhaust tips question

Can anyone tell me if the chrome tips on the exhausts are the slip on kind as they are on other M's? And also, are they the same size as, say an M5's slip on tips? Reason I am asking is because I want to order Black tips from cyba and he hasnt done an X6M yet. Id like to confirm the size. I dont have the truck yet but want to order the tips. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx to all.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

We wanted to offer an OEM option in Matte or gloss black but found out the tips are not removable like the M3/M4/M5/M6 and even when ordering with BMW the tips only come with the new X5M & X6M muffler systems. Not possible to order them alone.
      05-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

Thx Nate. Looks like its gonna be a cut and weld type situation
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
Neal23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

I just installed new black tips. Got all 4 tips from a local muffler shop for $300 with install. Yes, they are angle cut and same size as stock ones. Got the badge from Supreme Power near Fullerton, CA. I accidentally deleted the first photo, I'll start a new thread soon of my car with more pix

Last edited by Neal23; 05-25-2015 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #5
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

Tips Look great. Any details? Same size as stock or bigger? Also double walled or single? Can't tell from pic. They look angle cut.

Looks great. How was badge done?Painted a stock one?

More pics of your truck. Love it in white.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:22 AM   #6
carsearcher18
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal23 View Post
I just installed new black tips. Got all 4 tips from a local muffler shop for $300 with install. Yes, they are angle cut and same size as stock ones. Got the badge from Supreme Power near Fullerton, CA. I accidentally deleted the first photo, I'll start a new thread soon of my car with more pix
Hey guys, am desperately looking to do something about blacking out these chrome tips on my 2016 X6M as well. Am buying a package from IND that will black out everything, and I'm also powder coating my rims. So these chrome tips will stick out like a sore thumb. My first preference would be to take them off and install carbon fiber tips. Second preference would be to powder coat them a matte black. Both options would require that I take off the stock chrome tips obviously.

Has anyone figured out a way to do this without cutting and welding?

Nate@IND, are you guys offering anything at this point?

Neal23, can you post some pics? I'm in LA as well and can certainly make my way to Fullerton if you like the work Supreme Power did. Not my preference to go the cut and weld route but if I have to....

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 07:39 AM   #7
rmreddy5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M, 2015 X5 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsearcher18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal23 View Post
Hey guys, am desperately looking to do something about blacking out these chrome tips on my 2016 X6M as well. Am buying a package from IND that will black out everything, and I'm also powder coating my rims. So these chrome tips will stick out like a sore thumb. My first preference would be to take them off and install carbon fiber tips. Second preference would be to powder coat them a matte black. Both options would require that I take off the stock chrome tips obviously.

Has anyone figured out a way to do this without cutting and welding?

Nate@IND, are you guys offering anything at this point?

Neal23, can you post some pics? I'm in LA as well and can certainly make my way to Fullerton if you like the work Supreme Power did. Not my preference to go the cut and weld route but if I have to....

Thanks all!
I've got some nice tips I can sell you. Just swapped them out at IND. I'll put the pics in the classified section soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #8
Troy172416
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M: DG w/ MR

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
I taped off the entire back of my car, the. Sanded, primed with flameproof primer and then added 3 light coats of flameproof flat black paint. Works great, we did this on my wife's rover and it has been on the road for 6+ months and looks great. Mine has been on for about 2 months and looks great ( in my opinion).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 12:31 AM   #9
carsearcher18
Rep

So it seems to be the consensus that the F86 exhaust tips are welded on. Bummer. So I'm open to having a muffler shop cut them off from the inlet pipe, but before I take the plunge I need to figure out which aftermarket tips can fit the stock inlet pipe. Can someone tell me the size of the stock inlet pipe (leading to the exhaust tips)? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 12:32 AM   #10
carsearcher18
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmreddy5 View Post
I've got some nice tips I can sell you. Just swapped them out at IND. I'll put the pics in the classified section soon.
Thanks rmreddy5. Did you post the pics? Who makes the tips?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 01:58 AM   #11
carsearcher18
Rep

Hey all, need your help. Does anyone have a stock F85/F86 X5M/X6M stock exhaust tip that they're willing to sell? Without boring you with the details, I took the plunge and cut off the tips, powdercoated them, and re-installed. One of the tips was damaged in the process.... If yes, please let me know how much you would want. Thanks a lot guys!
Appreciate 0