THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Another Interesting Observation, Exhaust Sound, M235i

05-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #1
todd hollander
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30i

Another Interesting Observation, Exhaust Sound, M235i

Like a previous poster I want to enjoy the pops and crackles with throttle lift off after downshifting and have made an interesting observation.
It's definitely not just the exhaust system. Here goes.........
When in neutral, when the motor is up to operating temperature, if I put the car in sport mode and rev, I get nice pops and crackles. If I put it in comfort mode, the pops and crackles are greatly reduced. I just completed the exhaust valve mod by disconnecting the electrical connection to the exhaust valve actuator when the valve was open. (car off in sport mode, flashlight inspection confirms valve is open). I now get exhaust flowing out of both pipes all the time, it sounds a tiny bit better, but definitely the same as before the mod in regards to the pops and crackles in the two modes. I think the ECU changes the mixture or valve timing or something to make the exhaust sound more aggressive. This is irritating to me as another example of "synthesized" sound like playing it through the stereo. I think the pops and crackles are entirely synthetic. If I put an aftermarket exhaust on the car, will the exhaust sound be consistent between modes? I don't think so. What I want is to be able to drive in comfort mode with a nice exhaust sound without having it be extra loud or even change in sport mode. It seems the pops and crackles are a function of the ECU. Anybody with real world aftermarket (even MPerf) observations on this point?
TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
It's definitely more burbly in Sport mode. The mapping changes plus non-linear throttle may let more unburnt fuel through when letting off the throttle. It's certainly not artificial in the same sense that Active Sound is. I love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
todd hollander
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
It's definitely more burbly in Sport mode. The mapping changes plus non-linear throttle may let more unburnt fuel through when letting off the throttle. It's certainly not artificial in the same sense that Active Sound is. I love it.
I love it too, but I would like it in comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #4
durangodoug
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Hey Todd have you put the car into DSC OFF mode and heard the exhaust? I feel like the exhaust is way louder when in that mode compared to comfort, and it doesn't sound synthetic to me. Try it out if you have a chance.
      05-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
todd hollander
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangodoug View Post
Hey Todd have you put the car into DSC OFF mode and heard the exhaust? I feel like the exhaust is way louder when in that mode compared to comfort, and it doesn't sound synthetic to me. Try it out if you have a chance.
Will do..........that would be a really good solution as I rarely need the DSC
Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #6
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangodoug View Post
Interesting...

So you're saying that, with the drivetrain in comfort, if I enable DSC OFF, the exhaust will be louder and both exhausts are utilized? Does this affect mpg?
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Yes, DSC OFF mode turns on the loud exhaust mode WITHOUT making the throttle more sensitive so it wouldn't have an impact on MPG.
      05-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #8
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
It'll have an effect on MPG because you're going to be mashing on the throttle more listening for the burble (and to take advantage of the much more peppy throttle, if in Sport).

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #9
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi View Post
Interesting...

So you're saying that, with the drivetrain in comfort, if I enable DSC OFF, the exhaust will be louder and both exhausts are utilized? Does this affect mpg?
DSC OFF is a drive mode on itself...
there is not such thing as comfort & DSC OFF... or sport & DSC OFF...

look it as ECO PRO - COMFORT - SPORT - SPORT+ - DSC OFF

DSC OFF = sport steering/suspension, comfort throttle, louder exhaust with ASD, eDiff on, no stability control
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 11:07 PM   #10
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
It'll have an effect on MPG because you're going to be mashing on the throttle more listening for the burble (and to take advantage of the much more peppy throttle, if in Sport).
you might get worse mpg because of mashing the throttle but you can't get sport throttle with DSC OFF...

Even if you are in sport and you hold DSC for 5 secs and display shows "sport and DSC off" you are not in sport mode anymore... (no idea why they did this)... try it and you will see throttle goes back to comfort throttle with DSC OFF
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 11:33 PM   #11
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
DSC OFF is a drive mode on itself...
there is not such thing as comfort & DSC OFF... or sport & DSC OFF...

look it as ECO PRO - COMFORT - SPORT - SPORT+ - DSC OFF

DSC OFF = sport steering/suspension, comfort throttle, louder exhaust with ASD, eDiff on, no stability control
THIS JUST MADE MY NIGHT!!!

When I'm not driving in EP, I'm in Sport (chassis only), and there I always wished the exhaust was more present.

This does all of that!!

I just need to be more careful without the nannies
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #12
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi View Post
THIS JUST MADE MY NIGHT!!!

When I'm not driving in EP, I'm in Sport (chassis only), and there I always wished the exhaust was more present.

This does all of that!!

I just need to be more careful without the nannies
Just make sure it's not damp..... we don't want to see M235 jumping curbs like the M4
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2015, 11:48 PM   #13
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep

"A mistake was made..."
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #14
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep

Just an update on this, but I've been driving as I normally, except instead of switching to Sport (Chassis Only) I switch to DSC OFF. Gas mileage seem to be within usual figures. This is over the course of 2 days.

I'll have to compare a full tank run to really get a better idea though. Should take about a week.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #15
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Just make sure it's not damp..... we don't want to see M235 jumping curbs like the M4
No sh##!

I have one street that I turn on right before getting home. The car is usually nice and warm by then and there are no occupants or pedestrians on the street. As I turn left on it in Sport+ I can usually goose the throttle and lightly punch the tail out. Very fun, easy to control.

One of the 1st times I did the same with the DSC off, I was in for a surprise. Back end went on a wicked little ride of it's own! Those nannies are there for a reason. Obviously on track, this is the only way to go, but on streets, I need to be very focused if I'm going to be switching DSC off.
Appreciate 0