BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Spain could lose F1 races after Hamilton abused

WTF is up with Spain, I mean really???

Every time I hear about some kind of racist outburst at a sporting event, its always in Spain.

WTF is wrong with these people, its ridiculous.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/02/04/...eax/index.html

Let's not forget all the stuff that's happened in the recent past...

1. Spain's head coach calling Thierry Henry “a black piece of shit,” to motivate his team during the World Cup on national tv.

2. Samuel Eto’o who plays for FC Barcelona was taunted with monkey noises with banana peels thrown onto the field. In November the same year, England's friendly with Spain was played out in an ugly atmosphere as a large section of the Bernabeu crowd subjected Ashley Cole, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Jermain Defoe to sustained monkey chants and racial insults.

3. The US State Department’s Consular Information sheet on Spain says “although crimes occur at all times of day and night and to people of all ages, older tourists and Asian Americans seem to be particularly at risk.”

4.Three days of racist attacks in the southern Spanish town of El Ejido in the province of Almeria left up to 50 immigrant workers injured in 2000.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/tt...tid=1404868634

How sad

By the way Spain borders Africa by no more than 10 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

I studied abroad there and my take was that Spain is a very ethnocentric place. If you're not one of them they're very unlikely to every accept you into their group. Maybe it's due to their relative geographic isolation or something else, I don't really know.

I haven't been there in about seven years, but despite all I just said I didn't ever have any particular concerns about my safety in any part of the country. You had to watch out for pickpockets and couldn't leave stuff lying around, but that's true anywhere.
      02-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

But the good news is:

The FIA, however, have warned that Spain could even be stripped of its grands prix as a result of such incidents, with the country due to host two races this year, at Barcelona and Valencia.

A spokesman said: "FIA are surprised and disappointed at the abuse directed at Lewis Hamilton. An act of this kind is a clear breach of the principles enshrined in the FIA statutes, and any repetition will result in sanctions."

The management at the circuit have also warned spectators about their behaviour. Ramon Pradera, the circuit director, added: "We would like to make a plea to the fans to behave correctly. No type of offensive behaviour can be tolerated."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the most important thing about this situation is that there are people in power that have the ability to put some sort of an end to this sort of behavior.

You can't stop them all but you can take their opportunities away. Great call FIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
They should pull it this year from Spain to make a point.
      02-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

They could replace it with a U.S. Grand Prix.

I'm not a Hamilton fan, but no one deserves that. He seems like a good kid.
Appreciate 0