ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-05-2008, 12:31 AM   #1
nonsns3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Type R, Wrangler

Switched from run-flat experience

For Christmas I got a set of 19" M6 replicas for my 06 Z4 3.0Si sport. I had the hardest time debating to stay with runflats or switch to non-runflats for tires. I've never driven Z4s earlier than 06 (pre-facelift) but have consistent heard that the suspension on 06+ (facelifted) Z4s were retuned to better handle runflat characteristics. Also read that a number of people with pre-facelift Z4s switched out of their runflats and have noticed much improved ride quality and control. What I couldn't find was anyone with facelifted Z4s switched from runflats.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when I decided to go with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position 235/35/19/F 275/30/19/R. These are basically the equivalent non-runflat version of the same tires that came stock. Driving with the new tires, I immediately noticed a few more bumps (due to 19") but the bumps were more compliant (due to non-runflats). What I didn't expect was how tramlining was reduced to minimum. The car used to follow grooves on the road forcing me to hold the steering wheel with both hands just to keep going straight. Problem no more.

So whats the point of this post? Anyone questioning if non-runflats can make a noticeable difference in everyday drivability and control of Z4 - look no further - it almost feels like a different car. A nice and welcomed rebonding experience if u ask me.

Now the question is: Lower or not?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 2.8 Auto....

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
I've heard that the tires you switched to aren't as good as the GSD3-F1's Summer tires.....EVEN I noticed a huge difference in handling when I switched 2 years ago...and i just bought my 2nd set of F1's last month....why switch when I'm happy with the performance.

Try the GSD3's next round. You'll be happier still.

Rosie
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

The 05 and below cars come with RE040 tires standard, and I believe, tho not 100% certain, that the 06+ cars are the same. Not RE050, what you have now.

The RE050 tires are max performance summer tires, where as the RE040 are high performance series, and designed to be able to handle a little winter weather as well. The RE050's are better tires, but should only be used in warm environments. Since you're in NoVa around me, you should consider some winter tires to compliment this set. As the weather warms up those 050s are only going to get better, but they do not offer nearly as much traction in the cold / wet, let alone snow. Just something to be cautious of.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
nyczyang27
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0si / 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsns3 View Post
For Christmas I got a set of 19" M6 replicas for my 06 Z4 3.0Si sport. I had the hardest time debating to stay with runflats or switch to non-runflats for tires. I've never driven Z4s earlier than 06 (pre-facelift) but have consistent heard that the suspension on 06+ (facelifted) Z4s were retuned to better handle runflat characteristics. Also read that a number of people with pre-facelift Z4s switched out of their runflats and have noticed much improved ride quality and control. What I couldn't find was anyone with facelifted Z4s switched from runflats.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when I decided to go with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position 235/35/19/F 275/30/19/R. These are basically the equivalent non-runflat version of the same tires that came stock. Driving with the new tires, I immediately noticed a few more bumps (due to 19") but the bumps were more compliant (due to non-runflats). What I didn't expect was how tramlining was reduced to minimum. The car used to follow grooves on the road forcing me to hold the steering wheel with both hands just to keep going straight. Problem no more.

So whats the point of this post? Anyone questioning if non-runflats can make a noticeable difference in everyday drivability and control of Z4 - look no further - it almost feels like a different car. A nice and welcomed rebonding experience if u ask me.

Now the question is: Lower or not?
I would lower it.. only reason why I did not is because 1. the car is leased 2. new york city bumpy roads

Anyways, good to see that you got the m6 wheels now lets see some pics..

2007 Z4 3.0si Step/Premium/Xenon/HeatedSeats/AutoTop/M6Wheels
2007 328xi Step/Premium/Sport/Xenon
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

nyczyang27, you didn't lower it and it looks like it does in the pics? Just curious if you touched the wheel gap at all with photoshop, or if thats just that 19"ers look like with no drop.

I do not consider that ugly at all. This car doesn't NEED a drop like many others do.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
nonsns3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosierobins2003 View Post
I've heard that the tires you switched to aren't as good as the GSD3-F1's Summer tires.....

Try the GSD3's next round. You'll be happier still.

Rosie
Oddly, the F1s were my first choice initially due to the overwhelming number of reported miles on tirerack.com. However the custom mod shop that I went to (specializes in racing) recommended the Potenza for its well roundedness. Pilot sports PS2 were $400 more which I couldn't justify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
As the weather warms up those 050s are only going to get better, but they do not offer nearly as much traction in the cold / wet, let alone snow. Just something to be cautious of.
I'm thinking it's February already...it should only snow once or twice before Spring. Luckily my job is ultra flexible so I just stay home if it snows. Looking forward to top down weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyczyang27 View Post
I would lower it.. only reason why I did not is because 1. the car is leased 2. new york city bumpy roads

Anyways, good to see that you got the m6 wheels now lets see some pics..
Ya, thanks for your recommendations. Haven't had a chance to take pics with the new rims yet. Here are some pics with the old rims tho: http://picasaweb.google.com/nonsns3/BabyPics
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
nonsns3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The 05 and below cars come with RE040 tires standard, and I believe, tho not 100% certain, that the 06+ cars are the same. Not RE050, what you have now.
My 06 came with Potenza RE050A RFT. Apparently Tirerack has RE050A II RFT, wonder if that improves anything.

Have I been missing out of things or there hasn't been a Z meet in the area?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
nyczyang27
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0si / 328xi

Quote:
nyczyang27, you didn't lower it and it looks like it does in the pics? Just curious if you touched the wheel gap at all with photoshop, or if thats just that 19"ers look like with no drop.

I do not consider that ugly at all. This car doesn't NEED a drop like many others do.
Nope, the car is not lowered. The picture is actually on stock Non-sport suspension. It looks like theres no gap at all due to darkness of the picture i guess. If you look carefully on the rear tire, you'll see the outline of the tire, then you'll see quite a significant gap.

2007 Z4 3.0si Step/Premium/Xenon/HeatedSeats/AutoTop/M6Wheels
2007 328xi Step/Premium/Sport/Xenon
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #9
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

can I buy your stock wheels/tires setup depending on what it is
      02-06-2008, 02:32 AM   #10
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Did the swap from RFT to Toyo T1Rs, much smoother ride and no tram lining
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
nonsns3
Private First Class
Rep

They're the 108s like in BimmerZealots pics. I was thinking of keeping them but if that changes, you'll hear from me.
Appreciate 0