THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Oyster Sensatech?

04-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
Pinghacker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i

Oyster Sensatech?

Anyone out there regret choosing the oyster sensatech? I am ordering a deep sea blue 228xi on Thursday and am still in a quandary about the interior. With leather / oyster the majority of the interior is black. If that was how the sensatech was I would surely go that route.

I am worried about the light color on the carpet and lower doors getting jacked up on a 3 year lease.

Scotch Guard or something?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

If they get jacked up within normal wear it's not your problem on a lease. Keep the car generally clean and I'm sure you'll be fine.
      04-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

I understand the environment around here which worries you....dirty winter slush, etc. If you can see your way to buying WeatherTech floor liners (the ones with the raised lip edges), I think you'll find your carpets are in decent shape at the end of three years, and what dirt there is should be cleanable. Keep up with a Spring cleaning. Also, I've taught my family to do the foot-clap before swinging their legs in to make excess slush/snow fall off outside...that helps too! Door trim panels are very cleanable! I think you'll be fine enjoying Oyster with reasonable usage.

Which dealer are you working with? Erhard Farmington Hills appears to have a great service department, although I've only been there once since August, 2014!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Own or lease, if you are concerned about the carpet, head to ACE Hrd. and get a can of ScotchGuard. Great stuff. Just clean mats and side carpet by door [usually worst for stains and marks], spray the mats, gently rub it into pile with a clean brush, let dry completely and voila. Done...works great.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Oyster Sensatec is an option on a 2-series? It sure as heck wasn't when I ordered mine in early January ... I remember noting this because it's available on a 3-series at every trim level ...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
Pinghacker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I understand the environment around here which worries you....dirty winter slush, etc. If you can see your way to buying WeatherTech floor liners (the ones with the raised lip edges), I think you'll find your carpets are in decent shape at the end of three years, and what dirt there is should be cleanable. Keep up with a Spring cleaning. Also, I've taught my family to do the foot-clap before swinging their legs in to make excess slush/snow fall off outside...that helps too! Door trim panels are very cleanable! I think you'll be fine enjoying Oyster with reasonable usage.

Which dealer are you working with? Erhard Farmington Hills appears to have a great service department, although I've only been there once since August, 2014!
Thanks. I use the foot clap technique, it is getting the kid to do it...

The Weathertech do look like they are deeper than the BMW all-weather mats on the configurator. That's important around here the last few years.

I have been working with Rochester Hills though I initially test drove at Erhard Farmington Hills. I am in Troy so it is convenient too.

I really want a VO like yours but I am not sure if I can pull that trigger.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
Pinghacker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
Own or lease, if you are concerned about the carpet, head to ACE Hrd. and get a can of ScotchGuard. Great stuff. Just clean mats and side carpet by door [usually worst for stains and marks], spray the mats, gently rub it into pile with a clean brush, let dry completely and voila. Done...works great.
Thanks, I will definitely do that as soon as I get back from SC.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinghacker View Post
I really want a VO like yours but I am not sure if I can pull that trigger.
Trust your instincts.....PM me if you want to see one in person.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

Oyster Sensatec is definitely an option and always has been since 2014 IIRC. Would also add that you will thoroughly enjoy the Valencia Orange if that's what you're interested in. Several people have the VO with the Oyster interior and you can't go wrong. More maintenance than a black interior, but the looks are better, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
Pinghacker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think if I went VO, I would go with the black interior. I am a big Tiger fan being in the Detroit Metro area.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think if I went VO, I would go with the black interior. I am a big Tiger fan being in the Detroit Metro area.
Good thing you don't live near the NY Mets!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #12
2yo
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 228i xDrive

Is it mean of me that once he/she said deep sea blue I immediately wanted to convince them to get a different color so mine can be the only one that's DSB (even thought it's not even close to the only one)?

Either way, I think you should totally get the oyster or black, as I have the terra and therefore that's off the table for you.

Now being serious, scotch guard will definitely help with your concern, but I actually really like the light mats with the light seats as opposed to light seats with black everything else. It's a lease so it won't be your concern due to normal wear. Just make sure you stay on top of it and don't trudge red wine or tar into the car. Everything else can be taken care of.

Speaking of keeping interiors clean, today I got out of my car and saw that the dye from my dress pants got onto the terra leather on my seats. First I imploded and wanted to throw things. Then, I stopped hyperventilating and cleaned it off with some Mother's leather cleaner. No harm no foul. Kinda similar concern, but you may stay rational in the initial stages of dirt on your mats or leather unlike me and clean it before you curse everything in existence.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones
Oyster Sensatec is definitely an option and always has been since 2014 IIRC. Would also add that you will thoroughly enjoy the Valencia Orange if that's what you're interested in. Several people have the VO with the Oyster interior and you can't go wrong. More maintenance than a black interior, but the looks are better, IMO.
Huh. Must've missed that somehow ... well, black's a better choice with my color (MG) anyway. Maybe i'd have noticed if the Sensatec came in a darker tan like Beige, or a medium gray like Terra ...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #14
Pinghacker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant601 View Post
Is it mean of me that once he/she said deep sea blue I immediately wanted to convince them to get a different color so mine can be the only one that's DSB (even thought it's not even close to the only one)?

Either way, I think you should totally get the oyster or black, as I have the terra and therefore that's off the table for you.

Now being serious, scotch guard will definitely help with your concern, but I actually really like the light mats with the light seats as opposed to light seats with black everything else. It's a lease so it won't be your concern due to normal wear. Just make sure you stay on top of it and don't trudge red wine or tar into the car. Everything else can be taken care of.

Speaking of keeping interiors clean, today I got out of my car and saw that the dye from my dress pants got onto the terra leather on my seats. First I imploded and wanted to throw things. Then, I stopped hyperventilating and cleaned it off with some Mother's leather cleaner. No harm no foul. Kinda similar concern, but you may stay rational in the initial stages of dirt on your mats or leather unlike me and clean it before you curse everything in existence.
Ant601, have you posted pictures of your car? Maybe they will convince me to get some other color combo
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #15
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Huh. Must've missed that somehow ... well, black's a better choice with my color (MG) anyway. Maybe i'd have noticed if the Sensatec came in a darker tan like Beige, or a medium gray like Terra ...
Sometimes certain color interiors aren't available with certain exteriors, but I just checked the build site and Oyster sensatec is available with the MG. I like the MG quite a bit and it has really grown on me (although I admit I didn't like it at first). As a side note, this is just my preference, but I've seen photos of the Coral Red with the MG and it looks pretty damn good (of course, you then have to pay for leather). Then again, Red, and presumably Oyster, isn't for everybody, but just offering my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 07:11 AM   #16
Pinghacker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
Sometimes certain color interiors aren't available with certain exteriors, but I just checked the build site and Oyster sensatec is available with the MG. I like the MG quite a bit and it has really grown on me (although I admit I didn't like it at first). As a side note, this is just my preference, but I've seen photos of the Coral Red with the MG and it looks pretty damn good (of course, you then have to pay for leather). Then again, Red, and presumably Oyster, isn't for everybody, but just offering my opinion.
I would do the MG or AW with the red interior for sure. Unfortunately, you have to get the sport line in order to get a red interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #17
blitzjb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i Convertible

Quote:
Anyone out there regret choosing the oyster sensatech? I am ordering a deep sea blue 228xi on Thursday and am still in a quandary about the interior. With leather / oyster the majority of the interior is black. If that was how the sensatech was I would surely go that route.

I am worried about the light color on the carpet and lower doors getting jacked up on a 3 year lease.

Scotch Guard or something?
I am swapping my 2013 128I for a 228XI today..my 2013 is the same color as the one you ordered. The seats always look new with proper cleaning. My 2015 will also have the same color seats. The light/dark contrast makes the car look sharper.
Appreciate 0