THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Car wash...for automatic's.

04-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
proflex957
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP, M235

Car wash...for automatic's.

What do you guys do when you take the car to a hand car wash.

My friend says just press P and leave the car running.

Sometime my car gets backed up and might want to stop the engine. Was wondering what you guys do.

Press P, press Start/Stop, and lift hand break?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Uh...why do you need to leave the car running, just turn the car off?
      04-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Uh...why do you need to leave the car running, just turn the car off?
Same question here......

Why would you leave a car idling for the time it takes to wash it?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
KesS1000rr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Please don't take your car to the carwash...poor car.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Car wash is actually the better choice with the least amount of damage

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
abp689
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Wagon,330ZHP, 318Ti (MT)

They did not mention the high schooled cheerleaders car wash. Sure no issues there?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:45 PM   #7
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abp689 View Post
They did not mention the high schooled cheerleaders car wash. Sure no issues there?

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
Car wash is actually the better choice with the least amount of damage
But don't confuse a well-cared for hand wash at home for using the nasty dirty sponges used in the video. Spotless isn't bad, but uses harsh chemicals. The fact is, any wash will add some micro swirls/spider webbing, its just about how much are done per wash. Even with UK quartz on mine, some small areas have micro scratches. It would be worse without the protection, but it will still occur.

I suggest making good friends with a quality local detailer or take up a new hobby to keep the ride sexy
      04-27-2015, 10:30 PM   #9
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

OK, two points here:

First, to get back to the OP's original question so this thread has a modicum of a chance of staying in this forum: any car wash that deserves to be in business has employees who know how to operate a modern fob-enabled car with a software-controlled transmission. Just put it in park, shut the car down, and leave the fob in or on the dash somewhere in plain sight - the cupholder is perfect because, well, any car wash that deserves to be in business has employees who know that's among the most natural place to leave the fob.

Second, some of us don't live in a house with access to the materials needed to hand-wash a car. For instance, I live in a small, modern downtown-area condo with covered, gated, assigned ground-floor parking, but no washing area partially because it is a LEED-certified 'green' building. So, for the benefit of people such as me, please don't play the 'wash-it-yourself' card. Sure it may be best, but it's also not always possible or practical.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:56 PM   #10
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Second, some of us don't live in a house with access to the materials needed to hand-wash a car. For instance, I live in a small, modern downtown-area condo with covered, gated, assigned ground-floor parking, but no washing area partially because it is a LEED-certified 'green' building. So, for the benefit of people such as me, please don't play the 'wash-it-yourself' card. Sure it may be best, but it's also not always possible or practical.
Fair enough, but other forum members do not inherently know nor keep track of each owner and his or her living conditions. For consideration, a number of local owners to me (including those with homes) take a wash bucket to one of those DIY wash locations and fill their own bucket. This helps during the winters when they don't want to use hoses at home and risk freezing pipes. As they say, where there is a will, there is a way
      04-27-2015, 10:58 PM   #11
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Fair enough, but other forum members do not inherently know nor keep track of each owner and his or her living conditions. For consideration, a number of local owners to me (including those with homes) take a wash bucket to one of those DIY wash locations and fill their own bucket. This helps during the winters when they don't want to use hoses at home and risk freezing pipes. As they say, where there is a will, there is a way
Fair enough in return.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #12
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

then there are the "touchless car wash stations," to those not familiar with the concept browse: http://www.pdqinc.com/car-wash-equip...erwash-360.asp
      04-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #13
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

I throw my microfiber towels and wheel cleaner in the car...go to the local touchless car wash. Spray my wheels first...enter the wash and towel dry after I pull out. Works great. I have MW paint so it is really hard to see a scratch if I had one...but no damage thus far. It has been properly sealed and a couple of coats of carnuba on top of that. Only have one tiny rock chip on the front bumper that I have not figured out the best way to repair myself. It tricky because the rock came up at an angle and kind of pushed the paint back so its has a bump. I know it will need sanded down but it is such a tiny area.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #14
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
I throw my microfiber towels and wheel cleaner in the car...go to the local touchless car wash. ''''
The thing with the touchless washes is that they use harsher chemicals to get the dirt off. Then with those harsher chemicals, you're decreasing the lifespan of your sealant/wax. Even still, without irritation you're not getting all of the dirt off.

Just something to keep in mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #15
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
The thing with the touchless washes is that they use harsher chemicals to get the dirt off. Then with those harsher chemicals, you're decreasing the lifespan of your sealant/wax. Even still, without irritation you're not getting all of the dirt off.

Just something to keep in mind.
Not trying to be confrontational but this is a load of BS. Any car wash owner would tell you the same. There is no need for anything harsher than standard car wash to clean your car in a touchless car wash. All you need is the surfactant and a properly designed car wash to get the dirt off. That being said not all car washes are equal. Some are just not designed well enough to clean every possible type of vehicle well. As for your wax theory...I last waxed my car in Sept and water is still beading up on it beautifully. I always get the basic wash as I do not want the extra waxes and sealents those car washes add.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #16
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Not trying to be confrontational but this is a load of BS. Any car wash owner would tell you the same. There is no need for anything harsher than standard car wash to clean your car in a touchless car wash. All you need is the surfactant and a properly designed car wash to get the dirt off. That being said not all car washes are equal. Some are just not designed well enough to clean every possible type of vehicle well. As for your wax theory...I last waxed my car in Sept and water is still beading up on it beautifully. I always get the basic wash as I do not want the extra waxes and sealents those car washes add.
How? I don't see any research provided on your end to prove me wrong. Car washes DO use harsher chemicals: This is fact. Those harsher chemicals that aren't PH balanced strip wax. This is also fact. Some car washes even use recycled water. Also fact. There is literally a ton of information regarding this. Of course a car wash owner would tell you it's fine.. they want your business. Go on google and find some detailing forums and you'll find most of them don't make a habit of ANY automatic washes - regardless if it's touchless or not.

After a rain storm, take your car through a touchless wash. The area where your wipers swipe will be clean, but you'll still be able to see on the areas that aren't hit by the wipers are still dirty. This proves me right in saying that touchless washes DO NOT take all the dirt off. They take the top layer off, yeah, sure.. but not all. The best thing to do is just rinse it off and then follow up with a no-rinse wash like ONR. You're nuts if you think a regular car wash soap used in a touchless wash will take off all the road grime off of any car put through it.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ripping-of-wax
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...in-the-winter/
http://www.premierdetailnashville.co...ic-car-washes/
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #17
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Listen...all I know is from my own experience! You posting a bunch of forums from sites where people are trying to sell you some products does not make your drivel any less BS. I hand dry my car after going through the wash...I would know if its not doing a good job.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #18
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ignorance is bliss!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #19
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Stupidity is permanent
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #20
proflex957
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP, M235

Being clueless about the my new car my friend informed my to press the Start/Stop button a second time with foot off the break to kill the power to the dash so I don't drain the battery. And leave the key fob in the car when going to the hand car wash place.

So...I took my car for my first hand wash last night. I did the above and saw my car driven out and the hand drying area.

After being signaled that my car was finished I walked over to the guy who did the hand drying/wheel detail. He handed me my fob at about 15 feet from the car. The car door was opened, and when I got in the car the iDrive display was on and engine off. From the time my car was parked for hand drying to when I got back into my car it was about 15 min. It was a slow day, so I got my car from hand drying area relatively quickly. Sometimes it'll be there for 30 min. before I get it.

Does that seem normal that iDrive display was still on? I thought it was supposed to turned off after 8 min.

I am confused when happens exiting the car if you only press the Start/Stop button once and you leave the door open vs. closed, leave fob in car vs. take it with you. etc. ect. The manual does a crappy job explaining this to me.

BTW: I have a detached garage and has no access to water. So I go to hand wash place near my house that does a lot of expensive cars.. After 11 years with my silver ZHP I have no issues with hand washes on the exterior paint. I usually park in a car in a garage and try to find shaded areas to park. Paint looks just as good as when I bought it. Some idiots workers will steal shit in your car or damage something on the interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 03:40 PM   #21
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

From my own experience 8 min is about right. I will go to pick up my daughter from school and turn off my car. I can get through about two songs on the radio before it kicks off.
Appreciate 0