THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Boston, Ma->Park City, UT Road Trip Help!

04-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
MrBones93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Boston, Ma->Park City, UT Road Trip Help!

Guys! I need advice. I am in the process of planning a road trip in my week old M235i across the country and am hoping for some route tips. The route on Google Maps has me going out 90w past Syracuse, through Buffalo, down Lake Erie where it changes to 80w, over to Lake Michigan, through Gary, Indiana(), through Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming, and finally down to Park City. I think I am going to skip Wyoming and instead head south to Denver even though it adds ~2hrs to the total trip. I have also heard that 90w through New York costs ~$30 in tolls so if anyone has a better way for this area of the country, I'd greatly appreciate the tip. As for Gary, IN, I am more than willing to spend $$ on tolls for another route to avoid this city as I have heard pretty bad things. If anyone has any tips on fun roads to drive, I don't mind adding marginal time if it means getting off the bland highways. Lastly, I have not planned my overnight stops as I was just going to drive until I was tired and find a cheap motel or hotel. If anyone has any suggestions for good overnight stops that I should specifically plan for, those tips would be great, too.

As I mosey my way west, I'll update this thread with picture of the country and car along the way. Thanks in advance for any input.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

You could go I-80 thru PA instead of the NY State Thruway, but to me the extra time and fuel would not be worth it just to save toll money, and in addition you would be on the Ohio Turnpike for a longer stretch and additional tolls there.

Going past Gary on I-80 is not an issue as you don't go right thru the city, not that it would be an issue anyway. And you will be getting off the Indiana Toll Road right before you reach Gary.

Finally, it's hard to believe that diverting through Colorado would cost you only 2 hours versus staying on I-80 all the way to Utah. Granted I-70 through CO is more scenic than I-80 thru WY, but I have the believe that will cost you far more than 2 hours.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Well my counsel is less route related and more trip related. And if you have this all covered then great.

1. I would take along a couple of quarts of the proper BMW oil 'just in case" you need to top up, as motor gets initial miles on it. You can't find it at WalMart in South Overshoe, Iowa.
2. Then map out where the BMW dealers are along the way--that could be very valuable info.
3. Make sure you have a small squirt type bottle of water and some old or specially purchased [AutoZone style package] cheap miscrofiber clothes in the boot--along with a couple of plastic grocery type bags. You'll be glad you have it all in case you have some really bad bird "drops". You can get them off before it hazes the topcoat on a brand new car. Road trips can be tough with bugs or bird junk left toooo long on the paint.

Just some thots...gives you something to do at the motel, so car is bug free and ready the next morning. LOL
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
MrBones93
Private First Class
Rep

Those are all good tips and I hope they keep coming!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
Rus.K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW ZCP M3

Just curious, why are you headed to Park City? Thats my home town
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #6
MrBones93
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rus.K View Post
Just curious, why are you headed to Park City? Thats my home town
I am actually moving out there. I've been waiting since December to find a place/my car to arrive and now that I have both, I'm off!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #7
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
Well my counsel is less route related and more trip related. And if you have this all covered then great.

1. I would take along a couple of quarts of the proper BMW oil 'just in case" you need to top up, as motor gets initial miles on it. You can't find it at WalMart in South Overshoe, Iowa.
2. Then map out where the BMW dealers are along the way--that could be very valuable info.
3. Make sure you have a small squirt type bottle of water and some old or specially purchased [AutoZone style package] cheap miscrofiber clothes in the boot--along with a couple of plastic grocery type bags. You'll be glad you have it all in case you have some really bad bird "drops". You can get them off before it hazes the topcoat on a brand new car. Road trips can be tough with bugs or bird junk left toooo long on the paint.

Just some thots...gives you something to do at the motel, so car is bug free and ready the next morning. LOL
I would offer a slightly different approach to these:
1 - Water is okay, but it will not remove acidic properties from bugs/animals. Use something with a more neutral pH.
2- Coat the car in a sealant (not wax) that will likely last the trip - I recommend Collinite 845 and carry a bottle of quick detailer like those used for claying cars.
3 - Polish (sounds funky) the windshield and use Rainx. Claying will improve the windshield as well, but not as much. Rainx will be a life saver through the weather.

For the trip, having done a number of moves across the country, I will give some different thoughts we have learned.
- Its about the trip, not the destination. What is along the way that could make it more enjoyable? See some sights, odds are you may not be back through there again. Not far off of your trip - Mount Rushmore.
- Don't stay in cheap roadside motels in a brand new M235. That just begs for trouble. Plan the stop overs at the 8-12 hour mark, pick a nice city and hotel. Relax, go out for dinner / drinks, whatever. Then get a good night's rest.
- Make sure the SoS on the BMW is activated before starting out. You never know when you might need it.

Enjoy the drive! It's why we bought these beautiful machines, don't waste the opportunity to stretch it's legs.
      04-28-2015, 06:10 AM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
I would offer a slightly different approach to these:
1 - Water is okay, but it will not remove acidic properties from bugs/animals. Use something with a more neutral pH.
2- Coat the car in a sealant (not wax) that will likely last the trip - I recommend Collinite 845 and carry a bottle of quick detailer like those used for claying cars.
3 - Polish (sounds funky) the windshield and use Rainx. Claying will improve the windshield as well, but not as much. Rainx will be a life saver through the weather.

For the trip, having done a number of moves across the country, I will give some different thoughts we have learned.
- Its about the trip, not the destination. What is along the way that could make it more enjoyable? See some sights, odds are you may not be back through there again. Not far off of your trip - Mount Rushmore.
- Don't stay in cheap roadside motels in a brand new M235. That just begs for trouble. Plan the stop overs at the 8-12 hour mark, pick a nice city and hotel. Relax, go out for dinner / drinks, whatever. Then get a good night's rest.
- Make sure the SoS on the BMW is activated before starting out. You never know when you might need it.

Enjoy the drive! It's why we bought these beautiful machines, don't waste the opportunity to stretch it's legs.
Good advice all around, but wondering why you consider Collinite 845 a sealant and not a wax? I've used this for years and found it to be among the most durable (even if not producing the deepest gloss) wax I've found. It goes on easily and is a great idea to protect against road contamination. I've then coated it with Menzerna PowerLock sealant.

Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #9
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBones93 View Post
I am actually moving out there. I've been waiting since December to find a place/my car to arrive and now that I have both, I'm off!
Wow, I've been there a number of times, and all I can say is how jealous I am :-) So beautiful year round, and of course if you are a skier it's heaven on earth.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #10
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
What have you heard about Gary?

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post

Starts after the ad, and at 2:15 in.

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #12
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Zkeeper's advice is sage; all of it. I'll add that you should bring your own tire repair plug kit, as well as a first aid kit, a roll of duct tape, a decent basic tool kit, a battery charger pack for your phone.

Two more bits of advice:
- Stay off Interstates wherever possible. Your drive will be much more interesting and fun on U.S. and State highways, and even the odd county road.
- If you skip Wyoming, make a point to get out there after your move is done. West of Cheyenne, it is striking and, at times, moving countryside. Through Colorado, take U.S. 40 through the northern part of the state, NOT I-70. Much quicker, and much more scenic.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #13
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...y_Indiana.html
      04-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #14
MrBones93
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...ry_about_gary/
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #15
MrBones93
Private First Class
Rep

Any have any tips on good roads to take?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #16
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Good advice all around, but wondering why you consider Collinite 845 a sealant and not a wax? I've used this for years and found it to be among the most durable (even if not producing the deepest gloss) wax I've found. It goes on easily and is a great idea to protect against road contamination. I've then coated it with Menzerna PowerLock sealant.
It says wax, but I refer to waxes meaning the more carnauba based waxes. Collinite acts more like a sealant and is incredibly durable as you noted. If I top coat it, I use something with more carnauba like Pete's 50/50 from Chemical guys.

Not to derail the OP discussion, but I think you may get more longevity on the protection if you seal, then wax. I'm used to sealants going closest to the paint to provide the durable protection, then wax to provide depth and glow.