Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-26-2015, 01:10 AM   #1
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Track Notes #2

Fun day, notes to come later, here are vid clips:

Appreciate 2
      04-26-2015, 05:22 AM   #2
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

nice driving.
      04-26-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
What software are you using that's superimposed on the video? I like the throttle and brake levels, great for training.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
What software are you using that's superimposed on the video? I like the throttle and brake levels, great for training.
I have the AIM Solo DL+SmartyCam HD setup, data overlay onto video is automatic.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:00 AM   #5
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I have the AIM Solo DL+SmartyCam HD setup, data overlay onto video is automatic.
Sweet setup, thanks for the link!

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

After the first event and how much confidence I was lacking, I signed for a single day at SPM with PCA at the last moment just to get more seat time and continue testing the waters. I got a good shot of much-needed confidence, still not 100%, but it felt good

Bimmer Corner @ SPM by m4trck, on Flickr

Cool and breezy day, had trouble getting heat into the tires until the very last session in which I ran out of fuel Until that session the TPMS temps read less than 120 degF and I had started at 28 psi front and 29 psi rear hoping to end up with 36 f and 35 r, plan did not work.

i am getting used to the thrust and it feels very good, very stable if you are smooth with throttle. All on Sport+ and S3, the throttle progression is right on IMO and shifts are as crisp as ever. As I gained more confidence my braking particularly improved, shortening the distances. To my amazement I kept catching people under braking in various cars; I had so much braking power that I did not know what to do with it.

If I was in front, I was afraid of braking too much fearing the car behind me, if I was behind another car I still had to brake earlier as they braked too early and I did not want to ride the brakes too long; I just could not find the happy medium quite well. The consistency of the brakes were just superb, you cannot ask for better IMHO. It may sound as self-serving, and it really is not, but if someone had told me I would have better brakes in a BMW than a P-car, I would have never believed them. Now, I telling P-car owners the same and they dismiss me just like I would have

Here imagine CanAutM3 yelling from a distance with a deep echo-driven voice: "i TOLD YOU SOOOO!" And yes, he did. After the first session with low pressures (31-32 psi) my left front tire shoulder showed signs of getting ripped off. To preserve the tires, I took it very easy through T1, the carousel section (T6), where I lost a lot of ground to other cars (and time of course) just to catch them up under braking going into T10 and T1. Frustrating for sure, but the new TCK camber plates should solve this hopefully.

Left Front Tire Taking a Beating by m4trck, on Flickr

There was quite a bit of traffic on track as they combined two groups, but it was still manageable, although I don't remember getting a clear lap. Still it was great to be able to push my confidence levels a bit, but I am still off on high-speed corners, particularly on T4 (~15 mph off actually). I am not yet sliding the car through these high-speed stuff and overslowing, which is hurting times quite a bit. But now I know and have the confidence to pull out 1:26s, and I think getting to 24s by the end of the season is realistic, although it will still be tough.

The car is quite stable at the speeds that I am, a little lazy in turn in but negligible understeer, superb traction off slow corners and throttle is very smooth. I am getting used to the weight as well, and acting a split second earlier than my muscle-memory suggests, which seems to be working. I say it again though: I wish there was a Sport++, I am still not quite happy with the rebound calibration, but for DE purposes, I can certainly live with it.

When I was driving home, I thought I like this car 10x more today than the last time I was at the track. Lovely car, not missing the P-car at all at this time
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I'm glad you had a blast and for the small role I played in the M car outcome!

Hopefully they'll have camber plates soon so you can correctly wear the tires

I hope to see you at the Zone 1 or Potomac WGI event!
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #8
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

TC Kline now have camber plates available for EDC and npn-EDC F8X.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #9
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
As usual, thanks for the great videos. You are so very smooth that I can't see why you lack confidence at all

Too bad the F8X platform is not very good for track or traction
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #10
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yes, thank you!
I will be, for the very first time, at WGI with Potomac, we'll certainly connect share notes, and you can teach me the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
That's what I am thinking, are you getting those as well? I am waiting a bit to order just to see if I should also get the Swift springs, what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
As usual, thanks for the great videos. You are so very smooth that I can't see why you lack confidence at all

You are too generous Glenn, thank you very much.

Yeah, I know, I keep wondering how I am going to get more traction, I am all over the place in the car

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
That's what I am thinking, are you getting those as well? I am waiting a bit to order just to see if I should also get the Swift springs, what do you think?
I have put down my order for the TC Kline plates.

I will go for camber plates for sure, but I am still very much on the fence about lowering springs. Changing spring rate without adjusting dampers goes so much against everything I believe in. I am worried about bounce, but I am thinking that maybe the EDC will compensate for it. Visually, I would very much like to lower the car a little, but I am not willing to sacrifice performance though.

I need to decide fast, because if I go for springs also, I would rather do only one install and alignment for both springs and plates.

Decisions, decisions

What are your thoughts?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #12
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

CanAut: mild drop springs like Eibachs will not degrade your handling. Now if you slam it things change

FTS: great! I'm in white and my brother is in black. Either of us will be happy to play follow the leader so you learn the line. Hopefully by then I will have the full bbk...
I look forward to seeing you again! I'll be hard to miss as I'll have the usual double tent setup

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 04-28-2015 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
schmitzna
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I have an Aim Solo DL that I use in my 2006 Corvette. What ECU do you tell the Aim Solo you have to record those channels on the F8X?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #14
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Good! It was only a matter of time before that happened!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #15
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post

If people are able to track a Viper it is clear the F80 just requires learning how to module the throttle as far as traction is concerned

After years of tracking the E46 platform i've done my first track day in the E92 and it required a massive adjustment due to modulation of the extra hp exiting turns.
It is obvious the F80 also requires adjustment
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #16
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Nicely done.
      04-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
still very much on the fence about lowering springs. Changing spring rate without adjusting dampers goes so much against everything I believe in.

What are your thoughts?
Agreed, I'm also pretty skeptical of springs w/o dampers.

The one way I could see it working is if the length of the spring was close to stock and the rate is similar, but that does seem a bit pointless

How about just going camber plates first then matched set of springs and dampers if needed?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #18
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

I'm thinking I'm going to just get the camber plates and roll with stock suspension for now.
      04-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #19
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have put down my order for the TC Kline plates.

I will go for camber plates for sure, but I am still very much on the fence about lowering springs. Changing spring rate without adjusting dampers goes so much against everything I believe in. I am worried about bounce, but I am thinking that maybe the EDC will compensate for it. Visually, I would very much like to lower the car a little, but I am not willing to sacrifice performance though.

I need to decide fast, because if I go for springs also, I would rather do only one install and alignment for both springs and plates.

Decisions, decisions

What are your thoughts?
I am thinking the same as you right now. Although I am really liking my tire setup at the time, and if I lower it I will have to go to 265/30 front and 305/30 rears, which is doable of course, but I like my current setup

I think the adaptive nature of our shocks are ideal for lowering springs, although I would never buy H&R or Eibach street perf springs. Their race springs are execellent of course, but street stuff are just a joke.

On the GT3 with similar shocks (OEM are Bilsteins), stock spring were 2.5 ID with rates of 280 lbs/in. front and 657 rear, and we could easily go with 500 front and 700 rear springs without changing or revalving the shocks. I would expect similar results on our shocks too. So, I think the work Swift is putting into their springs are encouraging me. There is just too much dive under braking and lean in corners; then again I like my tire setup

I think I will just change one thing at a time and keeping collecting data, so I am pretty sure I am just going to do camber plates only for now.
Quote:
FTS: great! I'm in white and my brother is in black. Either of us will be happy to play follow the leader so you learn the line. Hopefully by then I will have the full bbk...
I look forward to seeing you again! I'll be hard to miss as I'll have the usual double tent setup
Sounds like a plan, see you there

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitzna View Post
I have an Aim Solo DL that I use in my 2006 Corvette. What ECU do you tell the Aim Solo you have to record those channels on the F8X?
I am using the generic ODBII configuration, that is the only one that actually works right now on the F8x. The CAN bus will give the individual wheel speeds, steering angle, actual brake pressure in psi, oil temp, and I believe transmission temp as well. So, I am looking forward to the new wiring harness the M-World boys are working on and should be available in May.

I am attaching two screen shots if they are helpful; first one is the Solo DL config and second is the sensor mapping to the SmartyCam overlay variables.
Attached Images

Last edited by FTS; 04-28-2015 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #20
schmitzna
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I am using the generic ODBII configuration, that is the only one that actually works right now on the F8x. The CAN bus will give the individual wheel speeds, steering angle, actual brake pressure in psi, oil temp, and I believe transmission temp as well. So, I am looking forward to the new wiring harness the M-World boys are working on and should be available in May.

I am attaching two screen shots if they are helpful; first one is the Solo DL config and second is the sensor mapping to the SmartyCam overlay variables.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:16 PM   #21
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

As I am learning the AIM software, I am finding interesting stuff that really like. Here is the visualization of the throttle application, the hotter the color the more throttle applied:

Appreciate 0