THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Back to back drives 228 and 235

04-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Hey guys. So I'm testing the new JB4 firmware for terry on my 228i and it's been a night and day difference when compared to the old firmware.

That being said, my buddy owns a high end car dealership by me and he got in a 2015 M235 with about 5k miles on it. It's manual. My 228i is automatic.

I decided to do a comparison driving test. First off, to those of you with an M235i in manual - it's the only way to get that car. It was so much fun to drive. The manual was butter and the sound and rumble of the 6 gave me a woody. Makes me wish I got my 228 in manual.

However, the new JB4 firmware I'm testing on my 8AT took the cake. I definitely had more torque and the car felt faster. Where it fell short as compared to the M235 was the high range RPMs which can be expected compared to the N20 even with a tune. In that respect the M235 wins hands down.

But overall the 228i felt lighter on its feet, easier to throw, and more go power (granted with the new firmware JB4). It's important to note that I did a similar comparison about a month ago and did not feel the same about the old firmware.

However, I'm absolutely positive that a simple stage 1 or jb4 on the M235i would put such a smile on my face that I would never go back.

Also the manual vs auto thing may have been a factor, which I happily concede. (I almost always drive in manual mode on my 8AT).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm happy with my 228i with the new JB4 firmware. Do I wish I got the M235i manual? Hell yes, no question. Is it overall a better car? Yes. Would I keep it stock? Maybe not, or maybe so... But I will say I have no regrets about getting the 228i M Sport.

So for those of you 228i guys out there, don't feel buyers remorse or regrets. And for the love of god email terry to get the upgraded firmware. It drives like this car should have stock.

For those M235 guys out there... Nothing but straight respect. You have an amazing machine and I now think it's worth every penny. But my wife and I didn't think the extra in payments were worth it at the time and the the new firmware on my tune has helped me validate that sentiment and be completely fulfilled by what I have.

If any curious people are out there and have questions, ask away. It was an amazing experience to be able to compare two equally equipped cars (sans transmissions).

Also im interested to hear if any of you guys think that the manual vs 8AT had anything to do with my experience even though I drive in manual mode always anyway. I wasn't doing anything like 0-60 or accelerating from stops, I was testing drivability and pushing it in normalish situations...

Again, not hurting any feelings here. I think they are both great machines and I highly recommend the new test firmware for the N20.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 4
      04-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
But I will say I have no regrets about getting the 228i M Sport.
Very interesting post. I just bought a 2015 228i with the M Sport package which, when driven in Sport+ mode, is a very fierce car indeed. Because my teenage son loves the most badged-up BMWs I test-drove the 235i as the Valencia (CA) dealership has a gorgeous black-on-black one with manual transmission. That transmission is a thing of beauty and it's a great driver's car, yet I do not think it is more than a tenth or so faster to 60mph than the 228i M Sport, which is at its quickest when driven using the 8-speed auto transmission rather than the paddles. I do have the occasional pang about not getting the 235i (a tenth is a tenth and the V6 will be more eager in high-speed highway driving) but I was astonished at what a superb performance car the 228i M Sport is, even in stock configuration. It wasn't worth pissing off my wife by going for the highest-end performance version of the car when the sensible looking 228i M Sport (albeit with blue performance brakes, 18" wheels and black kidney grille) is truly a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #3
DCastaneda
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 340i M Sport

Are you otherwise stock? Map 1? EWG board/FF wires?
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCastaneda
Are you otherwise stock? Map 1? EWG board/FF wires?
I am otherwise stock. I have the FF wires and the EWG. However terry told me to unplug those and run his new test firmware with map1. This isn't the first time I've tested firmware for terry, and I'm not one to have sunken cost in my evaluations I think that's why he always lets me be an early beta tester. I really do think the new firmware with Map 1 is truly a night and day difference in overall drivability and slightly better in overall power from map 1. Like I said it really does feel like it's driving like a stock factory car but with higher boost. Meaning you don't notice the jerkiness etc that you normally do from any tune out there. It "drives" like (not has power like) it should of from factory, if you get the distinction im trying to make.

Since this is my daily I do not want to go balls out with map 2 and down pipes etc...so yes otherwise stock car
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI
Quote:
Very interesting post. I just bought a 2015 228i with the M Sport package which, when driven in Sport+ mode, is a very fierce car indeed. Because my teenage son loves the most badged-up BMWs I test-drove the 235i as the Valencia (CA) dealership has a gorgeous black-on-black one with manual transmission. That transmission is a thing of beauty and it's a great driver's car, yet I do not think it is more than a tenth or so faster to 60mph than the 228i M Sport, which is at its quickest when driven using the 8-speed auto transmission rather than the paddles. I do have the occasional pang about not getting the 235i (a tenth is a tenth and the V6 will be more eager in high-speed highway driving) but I was astonished at what a superb performance car the 228i M Sport is, even in stock configuration. It wasn't worth pissing off my wife by going for the highest-end performance version of the car when the sensible looking 228i M Sport (albeit with blue performance brakes, 18" wheels and black kidney grille) is truly a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Glad to hear there is another believer out there with me haha. You are right the M235 is a great car and yeah the kid in me wants it bad. But honestly this car even stock has been a great joy.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Great review!
Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review
Jb and JB4 make these cars a lot more fun to drive.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #8
opfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post

wait they put a v6 in the m235 now? WOOOoooo

J/K on the tease

FYI its an I6
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #9
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Refreshing to hear another owner/enthusiast honest feedbacks. I too had anguished over the 228i MSport/THP or the M235i. Then there was the choice three pedals and the ZF8.

Enjoy your 2er and keep us abreast of future insights. Excellent read.
      04-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin
Refreshing to hear another owner/enthusiast honest feedbacks. I too had anguished over the 228i MSport/THP or the M235i. Then there was the choice three pedals and the ZF8.

Enjoy your 2er and keep us abreast of future insights. Excellent read.
Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Question. Will there be an updated firmware release for JB stage 1? Map 1 on the JB4 is supposed to be the same as JB stage 1 correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #12
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport
Question. Will there be an updated firmware release for JB stage 1? Map 1 on the JB4 is supposed to be the same as JB stage 1 correct?
Hey man, there seems to be a new stage 1 that he is sending out with new firmware so I'm assuming yes.

As to the similarities, with the current public firmware JB4 Map 1 is basically almost exactly the same as the Stage 1. However, the new Jb4 firmware that he is having a couple of us testing is completely different then the old map 1 and the stage 1. It's an "additive" map in that it doesn't target absolute boost values but instead works off the underlying factory boost to improve drivability and give you more power of the conditions are right. Basically the new firmware makes the car respond as if it's completely stock just came tuned at a higher boost throughout the range, while the old firmware always shot for a specific boost level giving you that jerkiness feeling that doesn't really feel natural.

It's better explained when you compare the logs of the old firmware and the new firmware and can see what the Jb4 is attempting to target and the actual values...

This allows one on an EWG car hit about 22.4 PSI with no supporting mods and still be SAFE because you are hitting it in the rev range where it's ok. Where as before you if you hit that PSI at the wrong spot on the rev range (because it's was always targeting a high PSI) you could potentially blow something.

Overall it has better control over boost and ends with a phenomenally driving car
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #13
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Hey man, there seems to be a new stage 1 that he is sending out with new firmware so I'm assuming yes.

As to the similarities, with the current public firmware JB4 Map 1 is basically almost exactly the same as the Stage 1. However, the new Jb4 firmware that he is having a couple of us testing is completely different then the old map 1 and the stage 1. It's an "additive" map in that it doesn't target absolute boost values but instead works off the underlying factory boost to improve drivability and give you more power of the conditions are right. Basically the new firmware makes the car respond as if it's completely stock just came tuned at a higher boost throughout the range, while the old firmware always shot for a specific boost level giving you that jerkiness feeling that doesn't really feel natural.

It's better explained when you compare the logs of the old firmware and the new firmware and can see what the Jb4 is attempting to target and the actual values...

This allows one on an EWG car hit about 22.4 PSI with no supporting mods and still be SAFE because you are hitting it in the rev range where it's ok. Where as before you if you hit that PSI at the wrong spot on the rev range (because it's was always targeting a high PSI) you could potentially blow something.

Overall it has better control over boost and ends with a phenomenally driving car
Wow that's pretty awesome how the new software works! Thanks for the explanation. I'm reaching out to Terry to see what kind of new firmware there is for JB stage 1.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 02:27 AM   #14
DillionDay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Will a JB4 upgrade void my warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #15
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillionDay
Yes and no. There are literally 100 threads on it. Bottom line if you get "caught" with an aftermarket upgrade it will void your warranty. However the Jb4 is so easy to install and remove its super easy to swap it off before taking the car in for service or any issue. So simple answer, yes, but only if the ever find out
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #16
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI
Quote:
Think you've got the numbers wrong... The 228 0-62 is 5.7 while m235 0-62 is 4.8... That's a little bit more than a tenth.

But on the OP I haven't driven a 228 or 235 with jb4... But am a little bit surprised how big of a difference it makes... As I did find the 228 very sluggish when I last drove one as a service car.

If it makes the car drives as good as you say people should really get it
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #17
DCastaneda
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillionDay View Post
In the US, they will only void the warranty due to the JB4 if: a. they see that a tune was installed in the first place and b. something happened to the car that they can attribute to the tune. I.e. if you leave the JB4 in, and bring in the car with a fried rod, they could void the warranty on the engine itself, but not on anything else unrelated to the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
Think you've got the numbers wrong... The 228 0-62 is 5.7 while m235 0-62 is 4.8... That's a little bit more than a tenth.

But on the OP I haven't driven a 228 or 235 with jb4... But am a little bit surprised how big of a difference it makes... As I did find the 228 very sluggish when I last drove one as a service car.

He's comparing the 228i auto to the m235i manual. The auto with bridge that gap quite a bit depending on the driver.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #18
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In the US, they will only void the warranty due to the JB4 if: a. they see that a tune was installed in the first place and b. something happened to the car that they can attribute to the tune. I.e. if you leave the JB4 in, and bring in the car with a fried rod, they could void the warranty on the engine itself, but not on anything else unrelated to the engine.

Quote:

He's comparing the 228i auto to the m235i manual. The auto with bridge that gap quite a bit depending on the driver.
Exactly right. I think the auto does bridge the gap a bit... I think I'm a pretty good manual driver but admittedly no professional haha..

As to the other poster, I kind of felt the same way when I first got it but it was still a very fun car in the M Sport configuration... And after adding the JB4 I was happy with the extra power but it felt tuned and not natural if that makes any sense. After the new firmware for the tune it feels completely different and natural. That's why I wanted to do a comparison for myself and I will say it completely changes the character of the car.

Also I can easily see how driving an M235 daily then getting into a stock no line 228i as a loaner would definitely give off the perception as sluggish since it feels the same but slow haha...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #19
DCastaneda
Private First Class
Rep

Glad to hear the new tune mapping feels more natural. I took off my Jb4 before the last service and was contemplating leaving it out because of that jerkiness with partial throttle. Guess I better send in the core for the upgrade and try out that new firmware.

Also glad they have eliminated the need for external power to the JB4. Never was a fan of tapping into the shock mount for the ground.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad to hear the new tune mapping feels more natural. I took off my Jb4 before the last service and was contemplating leaving it out because of that jerkiness with partial throttle. Guess I better send in the core for the upgrade and try out that new firmware.

Also glad they have eliminated the need for external power to the JB4. Never was a fan of tapping into the shock mount for the ground.
You don't need to upgraded core for the new test firmware which he is asking people to test over email. But if you want to get rid of the power cables then do the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #21
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly right. I think the auto does bridge the gap a bit... I think I'm a pretty good manual driver but admittedly no professional haha..

As to the other poster, I kind of felt the same way when I first got it but it was still a very fun car in the M Sport configuration... And after adding the JB4 I was happy with the extra power but it felt tuned and not natural if that makes any sense. After the new firmware for the tune it feels completely different and natural. That's why I wanted to do a comparison for myself and I will say it completely changes the character of the car.

Also I can easily see how driving an M235 daily then getting into a stock no line 228i as a loaner would definitely give off the perception as sluggish since it feels the same but slow haha...
What's the difference between the 228i vs 228 msport?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #22
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm happy with my 228i with the new JB4 firmware. Do I wish I got the M235i manual? Hell yes, no question. Is it overall a better car? Yes. Would I keep it stock? Maybe not, or maybe so... But I will say I have no regrets about getting the 228i M Sport.

I refuse to believe there are peeps on the interwebz this rational or intelligent....
Appreciate 1