F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Asian Characters in iDrive
GetBMWParts

04-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
boafriend
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Asian Characters in iDrive

So I finally decided to register here after lurking for a number of weeks. I recently got a CPO 2012 F30 Sport Line, and while I love the car overall despite its small flaws (ex. mine did not have an alarm installed, there are tiny scratches on the rear), I'm most disappointed with how iDrive cannot display Asian characters from my iPod. Had I known this ahead of time, I perhaps would have looked more into the Mercedes C250 that I was interested in, since I know that Mercedes' iPod USB can read many languages.

I have searched all over for solutions and it seems you can:

1. Have the BMW Professional iDrive installed (provided you have the "older" iDrive, which my car has, and a ton of $$$, which I don't have)
2. Have Combofx and 6NR (ConnectedDrive) in your car (I don't have ConnectedDrive)
3. Buy an iPhone cradle (however, according to my SA, my car doesn't have the option for this function installed)
4. Check ID3 tags on your mp3 to ensure they are written with correct Unicode (I already checked with a program, and there is nothing wrong with my mp3 tags)

My center console looks like this:

For reference, I only have the Technology Package and Sport Line Package in my car. I also just updated the software to MX-003.005.004, but there was obviously no "fix" for the language.

The majority of threads I've seen here, on Bimmerfest, and on M3 Post regarding Asian character support end up dying with no solution.

Any help from anyone? It's really annoying and stupid how BMW has not implemented all character availability for iDrive, even with a software update or something. I had been texting my SA, but he is essentially useless and has stopped responding to my texts.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

You might want to check with the coders on the DIY forum. Maybe it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
cornpop
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sport / Prem / Tech

same exact problem...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i M-Sport AW

Strange. My iDrive displays chinese from my iPhone fine. But the HUD doesn't.

I'll take a picture next time I'm in the car just so it can be clarified that it's what you mean.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
boafriend
Private
Rep

My SA referred me to a popular coder named Alex Alpine in Westwood of Los Angeles. I have reached out to him but have not received any response yet. I just realized he is on this forum as well so I have PM-ed him just now.

I am concerned though because I recall reading on Bimmerfest or somewhere that coding is possible but it will change your entire iDrive's language as opposed to just adding an ability to the system to recognize foreign characters. Also...what would the cost be for all this (I remember some guy created a coding pack for foreign languages and was advertising it on various forums, but it cost nearly $2,000). I don't have a lot of money, and I spent a good portion of my savings on this car.

The only method I have found online that is said to solve this issue is to use an iPhone snap-in adapter with an iPhone to play music, but unfortunately, my car does not have this compatibility (my center console has nothing but a USB plug and AUX plug).

Last edited by boafriend; 04-21-2015 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Here's some photos from my AU F31's iDrive.

Is this what you mean?

My unit's native language is English.
My car was built in Munich.

It displays Chinese in the search and the album art area, but not on the HUD.

Is this what you mean?

I didn't have to do anything. Just worked.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by feng View Post

Is this what you mean?

Is this what you mean?

lol Jay FTW. By the way, I think you can code the HUD to read traditional or simplified Chinese.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post
lol Jay FTW. By the way, I think you can code the HUD to read traditional or simplified Chinese.
hahaha

Hrmm... i'll have to investigate that
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 10:04 PM   #9
boafriend
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feng View Post

Is this what you mean?

Is this what you mean?

Exactly what I want, but I haven't tried music via Bluetooth from my phone (my phone actually has no music on it).

I heard if you can use the snap-in adapter, it will work as well.

But for both cases, the HUD will not display the characters.

BTW you most likely have a newer iDrive than mine, since you car is 2014 and mine is a 2012.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #10
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boafriend View Post
BTW you most likely have a newer iDrive than mine, since you car is 2014 and mine is a 2012.
mmm I wonder if it's just a firmware thing like you mention.

my iDrive controller itself is the touch pad one but would think it'd be the firmware on the iDrive doing it.

I actually tested it on a < 2014 model (old iDrive dial) and it worked as well (one of my loan cars before actually receiving mine).

Good luck with finding your solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 02:03 AM   #11
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Not sure if they updated the idrive since 2012 but I have a US model 2014 328 and the big idrive screen can display chinese but the mini screen in the instrument cluster cannot (which is lame). Works whether I use bluetooth, plug in the phone, or transfer the music to the HD
      04-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #12
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

2012 F30 used CIC and 2014 uses NBT, two different iDrive systems. NBT is newer and has support for many languages. You can upgrade to NBT by contacting either bimmertech or bummer retrofit. I just did that and installed it myself.
      04-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #13
boafriend
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
2012 F30 used CIC and 2014 uses NBT, two different iDrive systems. NBT is newer and has support for many languages. You can upgrade to NBT by contacting either bimmertech or bummer retrofit. I just did that and installed it myself.

Do you know how much it cost? I would need someone to do the installing because I don't know anything about how to program/code. I heard the cost is can be several thousand dollars. Also, assuming if I did do this, would it void the warranty on my car? I heard as long as any wiring is cut, your BMW warranty is void. Unless this is all just programming...

I also wanted to ask because people have said Bluetooth streaming from your phone will display all characters correctly. However, in my iDrive I cannot find an option for this. I have Bluetooth for my phone, but....is this supposed to be only available if you have Connected Drive? Because I don't have Connected Drive. I watched this YouTube video, for reference:

Note that under CD/Multimedia there is an "Bluetooth (audio)" option that shows up - I don't see this, although my phone is indeed paired with the car.

Last edited by boafriend; 04-24-2015 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #14
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you know how much it cost? I would need someone to do the installing because I don't know anything about how to program/code. I heard the cost is can be several thousand dollars. Also, assuming if I did do this, would it void the warranty on my car? I heard as long as any wiring is cut, your BMW warranty is void. Unless this is all just programming...
This will be $2,000 to $2,500 depending on the options you choose for the head unit (Sirius radio, HD radio, etc.). Although, if you already have the CIC, you already have the 8.8" LCD screen, so you don't need to purchase that which is a few hundred dollars off. At a minimum, I think you're looking at $1,500 to replace the head unit with NBT that's pre-programmed and activated. Installation-wise, you're looking at probably $300-$400 if you pay for a shop to do it, although you can probably find forum members who can do the install for you. I did it myself and took about 6 hours total, but that's because I took my time to learn about the car. Now I can probably do it within 2 hours.
      04-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #15
boafriend
Private
Rep

Quote:
This will be $2,000 to $2,500 depending on the options you choose for the head unit (Sirius radio, HD radio, etc.). Although, if you already have the CIC, you already have the 8.8" LCD screen, so you don't need to purchase that which is a few hundred dollars off. At a minimum, I think you're looking at $1,500 to replace the head unit with NBT that's pre-programmed and activated. Installation-wise, you're looking at probably $300-$400 if you pay for a shop to do it, although you can probably find forum members who can do the install for you. I did it myself and took about 6 hours total, but that's because I took my time to learn about the car. Now I can probably do it within 2 hours.
Shit, that is a lot. Alright well...I'll see. I really wish a software update would mend this long time issue, but I doubt BMW will take any action given there is now a "newer" iDrive that addresses these past concerns.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 05:49 PM   #16
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Shit, that is a lot. Alright well...I'll see. I really wish a software update would mend this long time issue, but I doubt BMW will take any action given there is now a "newer" iDrive that addresses these past concerns.
Yeah I don't think BMW will generate a software update for the older CIC units, now that the new NBT supports Asian languages.

Honestly I don't think it's worth it for you to retrofit NBT unless you know how to swap it back and forth easily and feel comfortable doing it (in case dealer wants to update the software in your car). My wife's car did not come with NAV so for her it's a big step up to retrofit NBT, as she now gets NAV, enhanced USB and BT streaming support, and Asian language display. For you, all you will get is the language and faster processing speed, not enough to warrant spending over $1,000.
      04-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #17
boafriend
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I don't think BMW will generate a software update for the older CIC units, now that the new NBT supports Asian languages.

Honestly I don't think it's worth it for you to retrofit NBT unless you know how to swap it back and forth easily and feel comfortable doing it (in case dealer wants to update the software in your car). My wife's car did not come with NAV so for her it's a big step up to retrofit NBT, as she now gets NAV, enhanced USB and BT streaming support, and Asian language display. For you, all you will get is the language and faster processing speed, not enough to warrant spending over $1,000.
Yeah, true. I know looking at the big picture, it's not worth it at all just for a mere language display. Which is why I wish a simple software thing could fix this, but again...I do not think BMW will put time and effort for such a small issue. I'm just gonna swap out all my Asian characters for romanization or English translations of song/album titles, etc.

Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 11:07 PM   #18
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boafriend
Quote:

Yeah, true. I know looking at the big picture, it's not worth it at all just for a mere language display. Which is why I wish a simple software thing could fix this, but again...I do not think BMW will put time and effort for such a small issue. I'm just gonna swap out all my Asian characters for romanization or English translations of song/album titles, etc.

Thank you for your help.
No problem. Let me know if you ever decide to upgrade to NBT, and I can help provide tips for installation.
      04-25-2015, 02:47 AM   #19
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

NBT has chinese character support native Asian languages because it is UTF8 instead of unicode on the CIC.

It is possible to get Chinese character support on CIC.
You need to have a vin form hong Kong/Asian country to use as a base to flash your CIC unit.

I HAVE NOT DONE IT but i have investigated for a very long time.
Coders will understand the following:

If you use a Asian vin and modify the VO's to closely match your own cars options
you are able to calculate TAL and generate and update for your CIC unit.

Once that is done you will be able to flash your CIC, it will install the Asian language HOWEVER in order to display Chinese, your menus will also be in Chinese.

After that you will need to generate a new FSC code and update your maps back to your Geographical location.

I have flashed ENTRY to chinese using the same format but i have no done a CIC as i decided to just upgrade to NBT instead.
Appreciate 0