Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Will Balancing Wheel Weights Accumulate?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
perezr10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan

Will Balancing Wheel Weights Accumulate?

I was wondering. If I never ask the tire shop to remove the old weights, will each successive tire balancing result in more and more weights getting glued to my wheels? Or do these guys follow some kind of rule that they know when to remove old weights?

It occurred to me that maybe I should start asking them to balance from scratch and remove all the old weights first? Or do you think places do that already?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

What I've seen them do is first see if the wheel will balance out with old weights. If they only need to add a small amount of weight near existing weights they will do that. But if they need to add a bunch of weight on the opposite side of the wheel from existing weights then they'll remove all of the weights and start from scratch.

This is what the one place near me does. I would check what you guy does since it might be different.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
PDX-335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i Sport

I've always seen the old weights removed first before any balancing is done. It just makes sense when installing new tires because every tire is different.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-335i View Post
I've always seen the old weights removed first before any balancing is done. It just makes sense when installing new tires because every tire is different.
This.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 10:43 PM   #5
chinko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

+2
they always have to remove the old weigth
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 11:55 PM   #6
einbruch10
these are the times that try mens soul's
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Like the last 3 stated, each tire from the factory has "dead weight". the green and red spots on your new tires show lightest and heaviest sides so the mounter knows right from the get go where to concentrate. but again each mounter is different, done properly all weight needs to be removed before balancing even begins.
      04-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #7
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by einbruch10 View Post
Like the last 3 stated, each tire from the factory has "dead weight". the green and red spots on your new tires show lightest and heaviest sides so the mounter knows right from the get go where to concentrate. but again each mounter is different, done properly all weight needs to be removed before balancing even begins.
You would think that most installers know that, but they don't. Yeah, red dot = tire heavy spot, which should line up with the valve stem initially. That could ultimately change during the road force/force match balancing process, but ~98% of installers have no idea what that even means so it rarely gets done properly.
Appreciate 0