E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Coolant Leak ** Please Help**

04-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M

Exclamation Coolant Leak ** Please Help**

Hello members,

I have a 09 335i with 60,500 miles. Yesterday about half a mile from my house, i got a low coolant level notification going around 50mph.

I was able to make it home. I can see the trail of coolant up my driveway. I parked and opened the hood. Nothing visible from the top. Now when I look under the car, coolant is just leaking like crazy !

It was hard to pin point the exact location because of the under carriage plastics but the leak was definitely coming from somewhere near the turbos, on the passenger side. At least thats an approximation of where I saw the fluid just heavily leaking out.

I am going to remove the bottom plastics later this afternoon and take a look. Just wanted to get a heads up on what it can be.

Thanks in advance !
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
jon_335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

My guess is that a hose or hose flange let loose. I don't think a failed water pump or thermostat would leak like that. But given the milage and age, you might want to consider water pump and thermostat replacement as you fix the more pressing issue. FWIW, I recently had a catastrophic failure of the hose that connects the oil cooler to the thermostat. Until you remove the plastics from the bottom, I doubt you'll be able to pinpoint the leak.

2007 BMW 335i | Garner, North Carolina
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 12:38 AM   #3
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_335 View Post
My guess is that a hose or hose flange let loose. I don't think a failed water pump or thermostat would leak like that. But given the milage and age, you might want to consider water pump and thermostat replacement as you fix the more pressing issue. FWIW, I recently had a catastrophic failure of the hose that connects the oil cooler to the thermostat. Until you remove the plastics from the bottom, I doubt you'll be able to pinpoint the leak.
Thanks for your response jon_335. I was able to take a look. Found that i have a crack on the water pump about 2 inches long. Heres a picture of my water pump. The crack is in the center of the photo.

Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
jon_335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Well, that would be it then. I had two coolant hoses go within the span of a week after replacing my water pump so my suggestion would be to take a close look at the hoses before ordering your parts. Good luck!

2007 BMW 335i | Garner, North Carolina
Appreciate 0