BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

IND | F85/F86 Color-Matched Front Reflector DIY

Painted reflectors are among the first additions made by any owner of a modern BMW. The unsightly orange reflectors installed in cars bound for North America instantly break the smooth lines of BMW bumpers.

IND provides painted reflectors as a cost effective solution relative to the purchase of a OEM European bumper. We start the process using the OE BMW reflectors for a factory fit, and the same paint process we would use to spray an entire car. Each reflector is sanded, primed, and then painted to specification. We ensure that all lettering on the face of the reflector is completely removed providing the same flush finish as your factory bumper. Additionally, installation of the reflectors requires removal of three on-time use rivets. IND supplies OE BMW replacement plastic rivets with all front reflectors.

Many enthusiasts enjoy installing their own painted reflectors, so we’ve created this installation DIY to help.

Tools needed:
  • 17mm wheel socket
  • 8mm socket
  • 12mm socket
  • Adhesive remover or cleaning solvent
  • Plastic fastener remover
  • Nylon prybar (optional)

http://ind-distribution.com/ind/?make=22&model=383

Step 1:
Please reference BMW’s user manual for safely jacking the F85/F86 X5M/X6M

Step 2:
Now that the vehicle is safely lifted, remove the front wheel from the vehicle.

Step 3:
Access to the vehicles front reflectors requires the removal of the fender liner. First, remove the thirteen 8mm bolts on the front partition of the fender liner. You are only removing the front portion of the two piece liner, so no need to do the 8mm bolts on the rear partition.

Step 4:
Now that the 8mm fasteners are removed it is time to focus on the 3 one-time use rivets. To remove these pieces you can use a variety of tools, but we find it easier to utilize a metal tip fastener remover.

Step 5:
Remove the one 12mm bolt

Step 6:
Use the fastener removal tool to remove the two multiple-use rivets.

Step 7:
After these fasteners are removed, you are now able to remove the front of the fender liner.

Step 8:
With the liner removed take a second to admire the coolers and locate the back of the front reflector. This being a new vehicle, we did not have to apply heat for removal of the reflectors. Our first step was to simply wedge the trim removal tool between the backside of the bumper and front edge of the reflector mounting flange. The idea here is to use leverage to pry the reflector from the adhesive.

Step 9:
While prying from the back of the bumper use your fingers to apply pressure on the reflective amber surface of the reflector. Both of these forces should result in successful removal.

Step 10:
With the reflector removed we highly recommend cleaning the back of the bumper. A little adhesive remove goes a long way in this case.

Step 11:
Now that the surface is cleaned, peel the cover protecting the new adhesive on the color-matched front reflector. Carefully line the reflector up and apply even pressure. Check alignment again and use your fingers to apply pressure around the back of the reflector.

Step 12:
Reverse steps 1-7. Upon installing your wheels, please make sure that your wheels are torqued to the appropriate specification. Admire your work and move to the next side

This reflector install is a little more work than past models, but the results are the same. If you do not feel comfortable performing the install, please contact your local body shop for an appointment.

Last edited by Ryan@IND; 04-15-2015 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 2
_M4CHINE_324.00
      04-15-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Wow, that looks amazing! Nice job! Great DIY!
      04-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Gives me hope to do mine which have been sitting in my trunk since January.

Didn't believe this would be more time consuming than the E series BMW's
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
2-cb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Garage List
Looks great. Definitely on my list of planned mods...
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 12:35 AM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Nicely done. I guess my DIY was on the spot on the need of removing the fender liner.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
Wow, that looks amazing! Nice job! Great DIY!
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
Gives me hope to do mine which have been sitting in my trunk since January.

Didn't believe this would be more time consuming than the E series BMW's
Compared to the E chassis vehicles, it is certainly more time consuming. I will say that the F85 factory amber reflector is much easier to remove than generations past. This is most likely due to the vehicle being brand new, but it did not require much force for removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-cb View Post
Looks great. Definitely on my list of planned mods...
Sounds good. Let us know if you have any questions ahead of the purchase.
      05-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
M3 Chris
Private
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 RS, X7 4.0

So for step 4, will I need to buy 3 replacement rivets as the ones I am removing are "one time use"? Do you supply these oem rivets with your painted reflectors?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #8
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Chris View Post
So for step 4, will I need to buy 3 replacement rivets as the ones I am removing are "one time use"? Do you supply these oem rivets with your painted reflectors?
That is correct. We will supply all reflector orders with OEM BMW replacement rivets.
      05-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #9
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport
Nicely done. I guess my DIY was on the spot on the need of removing the fender liner.
It absolutely was!

Joe
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #10
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsjr70 View Post
It absolutely was!

Joe
Indeed. Saw the DIY over in the F15 section. Great work @[r33_RGSport]
      02-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #11
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Well, I finished this project as well as the side grilles (and fronts) yesterday. This DIY is a huge help, but I noticed a few things I thought I'd post here for those who try this in the future. First off, the pieces provided by IND were top notch quality, exactly as described. Packed safe as could be for shipping, and beautiful quality.

Overall, the hardest part is removing the fender liner. It's a total *****. Reinstalling is harder. But it is feasible. Once all of the fasteners are removed, my suggestion is to flex the liner as much as possible around the suspension which will allow some play at the wheel arch. This way you can the slide the liner from under the plastic trim on the inside of the wheel arch, and finally remove it.

You'll need a plastic rivet gun for the 3 OEM non-replaceable rivets. Either that, or you can do what I did (since I didn't have one) and use a vicegrip and a cat's paw tool, but that was gnarly and required lots of force and was risky. I'd also recommend using a plastic trim tool set to first loosen those non-replaceable rivets, as any metal tool can do damage to the paint unless you're an expert and the paint on the those plastic surfaces is fragile. Once loosened, the metal rivet removal tool will help pull the rivet.

Take a few pics to help with what should go back where. My vehicle didn't have a 12mm single plastic bolt, but instead it's 10mm. On the passenger side of the inside of the wheel arch there are rubber supply hoses (visible in the pics above) to what I think are the headlight washers. I'd suggest unhooking the rubber hose that is looped through a plastic retainer on the inside of the fender prior to installation of the new piece as it makes it a bit easier.

Other than that I think it turned out perfect. Need to wash the car, but the paint match (Sapphire black metallic for me) is identical. Top quality product and well worth the investment IMO. HTH!

Jon
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #12
Manoloiv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

How long should it take a Bmw service tech to perform the installation ?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 08:47 PM   #13
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Damn this is a lot more complicated than I had hoped.
      02-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoloiv
How long should it take a Bmw service tech to perform the installation ?
Took me about 30 minutes per side.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #15
Manoloiv
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Took me about 30 minutes per side.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 10:15 AM   #16
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

All that just for the reflectors....
      02-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #17
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I know. We are a fickle bunch, aren't we I kind of enjoy doing the modding myself, however, and ending up with a positive mod based off of my own handiwork.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 11:57 AM   #18
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Well worth it though.
Imagine how much pain you have to go through to have your wife pretty. Hahaha. The long wait everytime about to go somewhere, the expenses on clothing, shoes, and bags.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #19
clemsonee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
Well, I finished this project as well as the side grilles (and fronts) yesterday. This DIY is a huge help, but I noticed a few things I thought I'd post here for those who try this in the future. First off, the pieces provided by IND were top notch quality, exactly as described. Packed safe as could be for shipping, and beautiful quality.

Overall, the hardest part is removing the fender liner. It's a total *****. Reinstalling is harder. But it is feasible. Once all of the fasteners are removed, my suggestion is to flex the liner as much as possible around the suspension which will allow some play at the wheel arch. This way you can the slide the liner from under the plastic trim on the inside of the wheel arch, and finally remove it.

You'll need a plastic rivet gun for the 3 OEM non-replaceable rivets. Either that, or you can do what I did (since I didn't have one) and use a vicegrip and a cat's paw tool, but that was gnarly and required lots of force and was risky. I'd also recommend using a plastic trim tool set to first loosen those non-replaceable rivets, as any metal tool can do damage to the paint unless you're an expert and the paint on the those plastic surfaces is fragile. Once loosened, the metal rivet removal tool will help pull the rivet.

Take a few pics to help with what should go back where. My vehicle didn't have a 12mm single plastic bolt, but instead it's 10mm. On the passenger side of the inside of the wheel arch there are rubber supply hoses (visible in the pics above) to what I think are the headlight washers. I'd suggest unhooking the rubber hose that is looped through a plastic retainer on the inside of the fender prior to installation of the new piece as it makes it a bit easier.

Other than that I think it turned out perfect. Need to wash the car, but the paint match (Sapphire black metallic for me) is identical. Top quality product and well worth the investment IMO. HTH!

Jon
When replacing the one time use rivets, you say you need a rivet gun (well it's a lot easier if you do) to re-install the new rivets. What kind of rivet gun did you use or what is recommended?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #20
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M F85 Akra, RaceChip

Its very odd that my X5M is made in the USA it says on the door next to the VIN and I have no reflectors its all solid body color.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #21
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBX5M View Post
Its very odd that my X5M is made in the USA it says on the door next to the VIN and I have no reflectors its all solid body color.
In regard to things like reflectors, turn signals, lights, etc. they make the car to match what is expected/required in the market the car is going to be sold in.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 04:28 PM   #22
zero4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonee View Post
When replacing the one time use rivets, you say you need a rivet gun (well it's a lot easier if you do) to re-install the new rivets. What kind of rivet gun did you use or what is recommended?
I got one of these. Really easy to use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-ri...ets-97757.html
Appreciate 1
aracka60.00