proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-11-2015, 01:17 AM   #1
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: `16 MW F80 M3

Advice needed on a couple things

Hey, guys unfortunately the other day I had someone sitting in the back seat of my car who happened to be smoking. Long story short I found out that there is a small black burn mark on my seat. Now my seats are leather and are the SO color. Has anybody had to deal with this type of issue? Is this something I can try and get repaired where it won't be so noticeable? Any advice and any shop recommendations in the NY area would be appreciated.

Another question I had is that I recently carelessly drove too close to a parking island ( I usually park reversed but this time around i chose to quickly pull in) anyway, long story short I end up scraping the bottom of my front bumper surprisingly no damage on the center part of the bumper but have scrapes on both sides ( vents right below headlights ) which are on the underside of the car so you can't tell from just looking at the car head on. Only visible if you get down and look under the car. The part that kills me is the drivers side bottom corner had scuffed as well and although it is extremely small maybe the size of a nickel or a dime it does frustrate me when looking at it. I did get touchup paint from BMW service but being my car is MW I am scared to even attempt to touch it up. I also forgot to mention the bottom flaps on our cars that help prevent our cars from getting bottomed out when going over speed bumps and such has actually detached itself meaning it is loose and I can move the flaps forward and backward. Since this is jus the plastic protection on the bottom of our bumpers should I need to replace the whole plastic covering on the bottom or would it be okay to leave as is? The flaps are still attached but are just loose from getting pushed onto the parking island.

So to summarize it up:
1) Is there anyway I can repair my burnt SO leather seat?
2) Should I repaint the front bumper even though the scrapes are on the bottom and are not visible? I also thought of opting to get splitters and a lip but not sure its needed as damage is not visible. Only damage visible on the front bumper is on the drivers side bottom corner which is about the size of a dime, if that.
3) My car is MW so I am extremely skeptical of getting my bumpers repainted if its not completely necessary.
4) Plastic flaps on the bottom of our front bumpers to help prevent bottoming out is loose and clearly broke off the base from the scrapes to the bottom bumper. They are still on but can be moved forward and backwards with my hand but not enough where I think it would just snap off. Should I be replacing this or can I leave it as is or maybe just crazy glue it? Not really sure I want to spend money on the plastic covering which is basically meant to be hit to protect your bumper.

Sorry for such a long post and not the best explanation to my problems, although I did try my best. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this has been bothering me all day and can't seem to get it off my mind. I keep telling myself its very minor but I don't think I can live with it. I think I am LITERALLY going crazy.... Please fellow members of bimmerpost give me some good news in that my baby can be restored back to new and what routes each would take if you were in my shoes. Thanks for any advice and inputs!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 02:19 AM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
Hey, guys unfortunately the other day I had someone sitting in the back seat of my car who happened to be smoking. Long story short I found out that there is a small black burn mark on my seat. Now my seats are leather and are the SO color. Has anybody had to deal with this type of issue? Is this something I can try and get repaired where it won't be so noticeable? Any advice and any shop recommendations in the NY area would be appreciated.

Another question I had is that I recently carelessly drove too close to a parking island ( I usually park reversed but this time around i chose to quickly pull in) anyway, long story short I end up scraping the bottom of my front bumper surprisingly no damage on the center part of the bumper but have scrapes on both sides ( vents right below headlights ) which are on the underside of the car so you can't tell from just looking at the car head on. Only visible if you get down and look under the car. The part that kills me is the drivers side bottom corner had scuffed as well and although it is extremely small maybe the size of a nickel or a dime it does frustrate me when looking at it. I did get touchup paint from BMW service but being my car is MW I am scared to even attempt to touch it up. I also forgot to mention the bottom flaps on our cars that help prevent our cars from getting bottomed out when going over speed bumps and such has actually detached itself meaning it is loose and I can move the flaps forward and backward. Since this is jus the plastic protection on the bottom of our bumpers should I need to replace the whole plastic covering on the bottom or would it be okay to leave as is? The flaps are still attached but are just loose from getting pushed onto the parking island.

So to summarize it up:
1) Is there anyway I can repair my burnt SO leather seat?
2) Should I repaint the front bumper even though the scrapes are on the bottom and are not visible? I also thought of opting to get splitters and a lip but not sure its needed as damage is not visible. Only damage visible on the front bumper is on the drivers side bottom corner which is about the size of a dime, if that.
3) My car is MW so I am extremely skeptical of getting my bumpers repainted if its not completely necessary.
4) Plastic flaps on the bottom of our front bumpers to help prevent bottoming out is loose and clearly broke off the base from the scrapes to the bottom bumper. They are still on but can be moved forward and backwards with my hand but not enough where I think it would just snap off. Should I be replacing this or can I leave it as is or maybe just crazy glue it? Not really sure I want to spend money on the plastic covering which is basically meant to be hit to protect your bumper.

Sorry for such a long post and not the best explanation to my problems, although I did try my best. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this has been bothering me all day and can't seem to get it off my mind. I keep telling myself its very minor but I don't think I can live with it. I think I am LITERALLY going crazy.... Please fellow members of bimmerpost give me some good news in that my baby can be restored back to new and what routes each would take if you were in my shoes. Thanks for any advice and inputs!
Your in NY, you should be able to find someone that can repair the leather with the fake stuff and color match it. No one will notice if it's done professionally. Your dirty secret.

As far as the other stuff, that's your call. If it was me...I would just get the stuff you can see repaired. Either take it to a good body shop or let BMW fix it. Yeah its MW, but people can repair it if they know what they are doing.

Its a car.. If you drive it things are bound to happen.. Chips and scratches, don't stress.

Also, next time take pics of the damage.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 02:36 AM   #3
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: `16 MW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Your in NY, you should be able to find someone that can repair the leather with the fake stuff and color match it. No one will notice if it's done professionally. Your dirty secret.

As far as the other stuff, that's your call. If it was me...I would just get the stuff you can see repaired. Either take it to a good body shop or let BMW fix it. Yeah its MW, but people can repair it if they know what they are doing.

Its a car.. If you drive it things are bound to happen.. Chips and scratches, don't stress.

Also, next time take pics of the damage.

The damage you can see is the minor black circle about the size of a dime on the bottom corner of the bumper right next to the front wheel. Would you say its worth it to get the whole entire bumper repainted just for that small spot? Also you didn't mention what you thought about the plastic flap on the bottom of our bumpers and what I should do with that. I appreciate your reply by the way and I understand its just a car but I can't help but to think about it...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 03:06 AM   #4
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
The damage you can see is the minor black circle about the size of a dime on the bottom corner of the bumper right next to the front wheel. Would you say its worth it to get the whole entire bumper repainted just for that small spot? Also you didn't mention what you thought about the plastic flap on the bottom of our bumpers and what I should do with that. I appreciate your reply by the way and I understand its just a car but I can't help but to think about it...
Please take some pictures and post them. ( Of the damage)

Again, you maybe able to find a legit body shop or detailer that can just do the area and match it if its a size of a dime. How deep is it, can it be polished out, is it just paint transfer? Is it down to bare metal? Someone could putty fill it, level it then airbrush it. Too many options, again I would research local shops in the area. Someone does it in NYC, ask around at the top detailers, they would probably be in the know.

If its the underbody plastic, glue it.. Or you could take it into BMW and ask for them to quote you on the repair. Then figure out the part# and just install it or ask a buddy to help. The other option is to cover it with a carbon fiber front splitter if its the lower vents below the headlights.

Some other members might be able to tell you what part it just be looking at it. You can find the parts/prices here.
http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/201...72&searchText=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2aC_oseMe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xi3xmeO6C4

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 04-11-2015 at 03:54 AM..
Appreciate 0