R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
orevah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m4 BSM

Angry Advice desperately needed!!

Hey guys,

To make a long story short, I usually wash my car myself and I decided one day at my office to give the mobile detailer a try. I see him every day washing some high end cars and figured I would give it a go. After getting a wash and wax, the following day i released that my car is filled with swirls. They don't seem to be scratches just swirl marks. I have BSM so it is very noticeable. I didn't realize at first glance because car was parked under the shade. I have told the detailer what he has done and he claims its not him. I then called a expert and says for $350 dollars he can restore the car to brand new. If I bring it to the right person can this be fixed? thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
orevah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

He told me he can do a paint correction and that it will look better than new. What does paint correction involve not to familiar with this.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
Rain49king
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Yes it can be fixed with paint correction. Make sure you check out this guys work before you decide to let him do it. Paint correction will require the car to be washed then gone over with a clay bar, next step would be compound buffing (different compounds cut the clear coat differently I prefer to go as mild as possible to get the job done). After all that the car needs to be gone over with a good polish to bring the paint to its optimal shine, last step will require sealing all that in with a good wax. This is a ton of work to do properly honestly I don't trust his price $350 is stupid cheap for a true expert to spend the required time making it look it's best, not to mention high end materials needed to do this correctly are not cheap. I think a correct amount would be $600 low end $1000 on the high side depending on the severity of your damage. In the hands of a good detailer your rides paint can be better than new and the correction will last with proper washing and waxing (I usually like to strip my paint down every 8 months and give it a proper polish and wax, others may require 4-6 months depending on how the car is kept and conditions the car is exposed to). Good luck remember no matter the price check out the guys work first! Since your in south florida I would recommend stoping by one of the many exotic dealers in the area and see if they can suggest someone.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
orevah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you for the input, I have been referred by champion motorsports which is porsche's motorsport division. He does all of their cars. My friend who works their says his work is flawless. Does using a clay bar or anything mentioned above going to cut some of my clear coat?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:22 PM   #5
Rain49king
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orevah View Post
Thank you for the input, I have been referred by champion motorsports which is porsche's motorsport division. He does all of their cars. My friend who works their says his work is flawless. Does using a clay bar or anything mentioned above going to cut some of my clear coat?
Clay bar does not affect your clear coat, it removes dirt that may be stuck in you clear coat or overspray. The compound is what is going to cut into the clear. Like I said I like to use the least abrasive compound to get the job done. I also stay away from aggressive compounds because I am far from a professional detailer. I wouldn't however get to worried if your guy has to use a heavier compound a factory paint job can be compounded many times before your clear starts to get thin, as long as the person doing the work knows what they are doing.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:21 AM   #6
theriz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2017 F80 M3  [0.00]
2011 335i M-Sport  [4.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain49king
Quote:
Clay bar does not affect your clear coat, it removes dirt that may be stuck in you clear coat or overspray. The compound is what is going to cut into the clear. Like I said I like to use the least abrasive compound to get the job done. I also stay away from aggressive compounds because I am far from a professional detailer. I wouldn't however get to worried if your guy has to use a heavier compound a factory paint job can be compounded many times before your clear starts to get thin, as long as the person doing the work knows what they are doing.
Key sentence. Knows what they're doing....
      04-08-2015, 01:17 AM   #7
Hobbination
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Go watch Matts 3 hour you tube vids in the detailing section, drop a hundo on a porter cable polisher and another hundo on some menzerna and polishing pads and knock it out this weekend. His YouTube handle is Matt Moreman, he's not a pro but i'd call him a professional semi pro, clearly he's an astute student of the detailing game. I did an xterra 2 weeks ago that was wrecked, looks brand new. Girls mini JCW this past weekend and the M4 starts on Friday. It gets addictive and it's fun... Expensive but you won't spend a grand that's for sure, $250 will get you straight... And 6-8 hours of your life. Best of luck either way brother
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Yea that $300 detail wont correct, if so that person doesn't value their time. Takes a full day at minimum to correct a car.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 04:46 PM   #9
JR M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

OP what part of south florida are you located? I saw that you mentioned champion motorsports. Was the detailer they referred you to named Jon from Advanced detailing?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #10
orevah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR M3 View Post
OP what part of south florida are you located? I saw that you mentioned champion motorsports. Was the detailer they referred you to named Jon from Advanced detailing?
Yes you are correct. My buddy who works at champion motorsport referred me.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #11
orevah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

located in delray beach.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #12
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

You're in south Florida? Call Brandon at http://www.hughsdetailing.com/

Brandon knows what's up and will give you sound advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #13
orevah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddas View Post
You're in south Florida? Call Brandon at http://www.hughsdetailing.com/

Brandon knows what's up and will give you sound advice.
Ill give him a call see what I think thank you for input. Hes a little far.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #14
JR M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Yes you are correct. My buddy who works at champion motorsport referred me.
Pm sent
Appreciate 0