THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Price for outside waxing and sealing

04-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Price for outside waxing and sealing

I have found a well-regarded detailer and I want to take my new m235i to him to do an external decontamination, waxing and sealing. He's quoted me $250 for the job. I would appreciate the expert forum members' opinions on whether this is too much for the job or if it's a fair price.
      04-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Depends on what he is doing. I assume the minimum would be:
Wash
Clay
1 step machine polish (jeweling the outside if needed)
Sealant
Wax

Sealant and wax are not the same. Sealants last longer, wax gives a 'glow' due to carnauba rates, but doesn't last as long. $250 sounds a bit much if he doesn't do the polishing step, but maybe not in the Boston area - I have no idea what local rates are.

For perspective, south of Seattle, my detailer does the same thing, with 2 step polish and protect for about $300. Consider it a dealer prep, he corrects any shipping marring from wrapping.

Unless you want to learn to detail yourself? For $250 you can get a lot of products, a dual action polisher, and get more intimately familiar with your new beauty
      04-06-2015, 12:27 AM   #3
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
Unless you want to learn to detail yourself? For $250 you can get a lot of products, a dual action polisher, and get more intimately familiar with your new beauty
+1. You might as well learn how to, get to know your new ride up close and personal, saving money. The last statement goes a long way since you'll be able to redo DIY detailing yourself time and time again.
      04-06-2015, 03:58 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I love the term 'external decontamination' very Ebola-esque.
My M235 is eight-months old and I have yet felt it necessary to polish-but I do try to wash weekly-and paint feels smooth to the touch like the day I purchased it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #5
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I love the term 'external decontamination' very Ebola-esque.
My M235 is eight-months old and I have yet felt it necessary to polish-but I do try to wash weekly-and paint feels smooth to the touch like the day I purchased it.
External decontamination usually refers to atmosphere fallout. The more industrial the area you live in or work in, the worse it is.

To test how good/bad your paint is, try this: After the next wash, put a sandwich baggie on your hand and rub it across the paint. You will feel how much is trapped in the top layer of the finish through the plastic. Our hands are generally not sensitive enough to feel it. A clay bar will show it as well, but costs more to try out :P
      04-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
External decontamination usually refers to atmosphere fallout. The more industrial the area you live in or work in, the worse it is.

To test how good/bad your paint is, try this: After the next wash, put a sandwich baggie on your hand and rub it across the paint. You will feel how much is trapped in the top layer of the finish through the plastic. Our hands are generally not sensitive enough to feel it. A clay bar will show it as well, but costs more to try out :P
Thanks, Yeah I've only used microfiber pads/towels, BMW Natural or Zymol wash and BMW Natural wax for the paint and have no ( or very minimal ) contamination. I'm outside Baltimore and with rail lines/industry/coal/trees do get fallout but I don't need clay or polish at this time.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin
Quote:
+1. You might as well learn how to, get to know your new ride up close and personal, saving money. The last statement goes a long way since you'll be able to redo DIY detailing yourself time and time again.
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I had been scheduled to take the car to the detailer then something came up and I had to cancel. This gave me a chance to think about your suggestions and look for ways to do things myself, which I had never really done before. An added complication is that I live in a condo building. So I started with a low ambition level of just trying to wash my car myself and found recommendations for the Optimum No Rinse product. I had washed my car at a no-touch wash the week before, so ONR seemed to be a good start for a not-so-dirty car. So, I watched a bunch of how-to videos, got on Amazon and ordered the product along with a spray bottle and a set of high quality microfiber towels and bought two buckets from Home Depot.

I just finished washing my car in the garage and I can't believe how good it looks! Best of all was getting "intimately familiar with my new beauty" and getting to know it "up close and personal" which was thoroughly enjoyable!! I have no illusions that this product is the end-all, but I think it's a great start and now I feel that I can get into doing more myself and keeping my car in good shape!

Thank you for the push, without which I wouldn't have even tried!
      04-20-2015, 05:27 AM   #8
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

I have a professional that is extremely meticulous, charges over $350 and is worth every penny. They deal with mostly higher end cars, and two owners are great to deal with. When it comes to paint, you want someone that knows what their doing. Otherwise your paying for someone to scratch up your car, misewell take it through one of those auto car washes for $10.

Hand Washes, Clay Bars, 3 Stage Machine Polish + Sealant. Engine Cleaning, Door Jams, Cleans Tires + Tire Dressing windows, every nook and cranny you would expect.

I also had these guys do my Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra.

http://www.uccboston.com/
Appreciate 0