F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Do you need Enhanced Bluetooth/USB option (6NS) to receive incoming iMessage/SMS
Studio RSR

04-04-2015, 01:06 AM   #1
makiko
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Do you need Enhanced Bluetooth/USB option (6NS) to receive incoming iMessage/SMS

I have the technology package, but I don't seem to have an option to receive incoming iMessages/SMS on my iDrive. Do you need option 6NS (Enhance BT/USB) in order to have this feature?

I checked my BMW bluetooth option on my phone and it doesn't show any message notifications options either. Only Telephone and Audio.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
Dcarter15
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

Try going to the main menu, click office, then I believe there should be a messages option you can click on and your texts should go there. I then preset that to one of the 1-8 presets you have available so your messages come up with the push of a button. Hope this helped. (I also ordered navigation without enhanced BT or tech package)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Fjk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Sweet. Mine is on the way. Hope this is true.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

You need enhanced USB for this to work. If you didn't order it you can have it coded in, I did.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by makiko View Post
I have the technology package, but I don't seem to have an option to receive incoming iMessages/SMS on my iDrive. Do you need option 6NS (Enhance BT/USB) in order to have this feature?

I checked my BMW bluetooth option on my phone and it doesn't show any message notifications options either. Only Telephone and Audio.
Yes, you do for MY2015.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1108386
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
Dcarter15
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Is it standard on 2014s?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcarter15 View Post
Is it standard on 2014s?
Standard with Navigation for MY2014.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:

Don't stress if you don't have the option as it's practically useless.

Especially if you have an iPhone where using a long-press on the steering wheel and Siri allows your texts to be read to you and allows you to reply or create new texts as well. The iDrive screen is work and distraction for texts, I have Enhanced Bluetooth w/Office and wish I didn't.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2015, 09:31 PM   #9
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post

Especially if you have an iPhone where using a long-press on the steering wheel and Siri allows your texts to be read to you and allows you to reply or create new texts as well. The iDrive screen is work and distraction for texts, I have Enhanced Bluetooth w/Office and wish I didn't.
This is true and not true. It's definitely useful for Siri to dictate a text to you. But I also find it pretty useful to be able to see texts on the iDrive screen. No, not so I can read a lengthy text. But something short, or just to see who it is from as to whether I want to bother having Siri read it to me, it is definitely a useful feature.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #10
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
This is true and not true. It's definitely useful for Siri to dictate a text to you. But I also find it pretty useful to be able to see texts on the iDrive screen. No, not so I can read a lengthy text. But something short, or just to see who it is from as to whether I want to bother having Siri read it to me, it is definitely a useful feature.
I keep my iPhone in the passenger side cupholder so I can get that quick glance and find out who the text is from that way. If its from someone important, I long-press the steering wheel button and say "read text".

Siri is also very cool in so many other ways, it's really an unsung hero that blows your mind when you take the time to learn its capabilities. Press the steering wheel button, ask these types of questions:

"What's the weather like tomorrow?"
"What's the score of the Rangers game?"
"Who scored tonight for the Yankees?"
"Text my wife that I'll be an hour late from work"
"Call my son"
"Schedule a meeting tomorrow at 9AM"
"What's on my Calendar for tomorrow?"
"Create note that I spent $15 for tolls"
"Play Beatles playlist"
"Play Eric Clapton on iTunes radio"
"What is Apple's stock price?"
"Turn up display brightness"
"Post on Facebook 'I'm driving my BMW right now'"
"What movies are playing near me?"
"I need a reservation at Morton's tonight"
"What is the price of gasoline in New York City?"

Full list of commands here:

http://techblog.tv/full-list-of-siri...w-to-use-siri/

Point is, as long as you have Bluetooth and an iPhone you don't really need BMW Office. It blows Office away, screen or no screen (which we shouldn't be looking at anyway).
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 10:51 PM   #11
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton
Quote:

Disagree. Siri is slow and distracting for reading texts while driving. I just hit the #3 preset and I can see and read my messages in one second. Siri is ok for dictating new messages in reply but generally I just wait until I'm stopped to do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 11:48 PM   #12
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Disagree. Siri is slow and distracting for reading texts while driving. I just hit the #3 preset and I can see and read my messages in one second. Siri is ok for dictating new messages in reply but generally I just wait until I'm stopped to do that.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #13
Dcarter15
Private
United_States
Rep

+2
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #14
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
I keep my iPhone in the passenger side cupholder so I can get that quick glance and find out who the text is from that way. If its from someone important, I long-press the steering wheel button and say "read text".

Siri is also very cool in so many other ways, it's really an unsung hero that blows your mind when you take the time to learn its capabilities. Press the steering wheel button, ask these types of questions:

"What's the weather like tomorrow?"
"What's the score of the Rangers game?"
"Who scored tonight for the Yankees?"
"Text my wife that I'll be an hour late from work"
"Call my son"
"Schedule a meeting tomorrow at 9AM"
"What's on my Calendar for tomorrow?"
"Create note that I spent $15 for tolls"
"Play Beatles playlist"
"Play Eric Clapton on iTunes radio"
"What is Apple's stock price?"
"Turn up display brightness"
"Post on Facebook 'I'm driving my BMW right now'"
"What movies are playing near me?"
"I need a reservation at Morton's tonight"
"What is the price of gasoline in New York City?"

Full list of commands here:

http://techblog.tv/full-list-of-siri...w-to-use-siri/

Point is, as long as you have Bluetooth and an iPhone you don't really need BMW Office. It blows Office away, screen or no screen (which we shouldn't be looking at anyway).
Yes, I agree Siri does more than just send texts. That's what we were talking about, though.
Appreciate 0