European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

04-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
ixsaves13
M3 YAS, DCT, Exec, full Merino, lighting, HK, AS
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 - On Order

Issues coding with MAC & Parallels 10

I finally got my copy of Parallels 10 and loaded windows 7 ultimate on my Macbook Pro and tried to connect to my M3 with no luck. I purchased the cable from our fellow member who sells them on ebay, but when the window pops up to choose the F20 module and choose the connection type (vin), it does not populate. I tried to change the network adapter options under settings (parallels) but it did nothing.

I wish my macbook pro had a built in ethernet port, and I just picked up the thunderbolt to ethernet adapter... but nothing. On windows, when plugged into the network, I have internet, but I'm not sure if I need to download a specific driver.

Help!!!

Thanks,
Eugene
2008 Evo X (sold)
2006 Evo IX (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixsaves13 View Post
I finally got my copy of Parallels 10 and loaded windows 7 ultimate on my Macbook Pro and tried to connect to my M3 with no luck. I purchased the cable from our fellow member who sells them on ebay, but when the window pops up to choose the F20 module and choose the connection type (vin), it does not populate. I tried to change the network adapter options under settings (parallels) but it did nothing.

I wish my macbook pro had a built in ethernet port, and I just picked up the thunderbolt to ethernet adapter... but nothing. On windows, when plugged into the network, I have internet, but I'm not sure if I need to download a specific driver.

Help!!!

Thanks,
Eugene
It works fine on my MacBook Air using VMWare Fusion and the thunderbolt ethernet adapter, but you need to make sure that you set the VM NIC to bridging mode and do not use NAT.
      04-03-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
slavearm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5CE MBB/SS

You have to configure Parallels to use bridged networking for the VM, and make sure it is set to use the Thunderbolt Adapter.

Here are the instructions:

1. Choose Configure from the Virtual Machine menu to open the Virtual Machine Configuration dialog.

2. Select Network Adapter in the Hardware list.
On the Network Adapter pane, make sure that the Enabled, Connected and Bridged Ethernet options are selected.

3. Select the appropriate network adapter from the list.

4. Click ok

5. Magic!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
ixsaves13
United_States
Rep

When I go into the config window... the options are below...

NIC Type: Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT (fixed cannot change)

Type:
Bridged Network : (options)
-Default adapter
-wifi
-en1
-en2
-p2p0
-awdl0
-thunderbolt bridge

I've tried "default" and "thunderbolt bridge" with no luck. Maybe a reset will help, but I did that in the car.
2008 Evo X (sold)
2006 Evo IX (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

I had exactly the same problem as you with the VIN not showing when I tried to connect the first time.

This is step-by-step what works for me:

1. Turn off wi-fi on your Mac, so that you have no internet access.
2. Turn ignition on and connect the ENet cable to the Mac using the thunderbolt adapter.
3. Launch the Windows VM (as mentioned, I use Fusion but this should not make any difference).
4. The network icon in the Windows dock (I am using Windows 7) will show the rotating wheel for a while as Windows tries to establish a network connection and then show a yellow triangle with an exclamation point indicating no internet access.
5. Wait until the yellow triangle appears and then launch E-Sys. You should then be able to see your VIN in the "Open Connection" window.
      04-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #6
nene
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Various

Garage List
2015 BMW M4c  [9.00]
I've had the same issues as the OP described and various attempts to fix it never worked.
I read various posts about the order of connecting things. I checked the network adapter was correct and all others were disabled. I even created a separate network profile with only one single network interface, and ensured it was bridged. N-o-t-h-i-n-g worked.
Even tried re-installing and failed again to work.
Made sure the cable was good on someone else's computer, and it was fine.
Tried various things over a 2 week period, including what others have stated. Unfortunately did not work. Had another MAC user try to help out, and failed too.

I was so tired of attempting to get it to work just decided to get a new 11" Windows 8 laptop from local computer store for $300. Laptop was not the fastest, so I upgraded the drive to SSD and gave it 8GB of RAM, and voila all works now. Dell Inspiron 11" was on sale, and could not pass up a good buy.

I don't mind having that separate laptop specifically for the car only. But never got Parallels on the MAC to work.

Last edited by nene; 04-04-2015 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #7
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

I use parallels on a MacBook. I use the thunderbolt Ethernet adapter. I occasionally have connection issues but this fixed it:

1. Boot up Mac
2. Turn off wifi
3. Plug ENet cable into car, then Mac
4. Check Mac prefs to make sure it sees the thunderbolt Ethernet connection (should say connected, and have an assigned IP address)
5. Boot parallels VM
6. Go to settings and use Thunderbolt Ethernet
7. re-boot parallels VM if I had to change any of the configuration
8. Boot up and give the VM a minute to figure out what is connected to it (mine boots up in about 15 seconds, but you need to give it s minute to "orient" itself)
9. Start E-Sys.

If I can't see my VIN, I shut down parallels, unplug and replug the ENet cable at the OBD port of the car, and reboot parallels.

Hope that helps!

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #8
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nene View Post
I don't mind having that separate laptop specifically for the car only. But never got Parallels on the MAC to work.
If the issue is with Parallels, why not boot your Mac directly into Windows?

Either doing this or using Fusion works for me.
      04-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #9
E92FI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Make sure you have your antivirus turned off and your firewall. Same thing happened to me, turn it off work fine.
      04-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #10
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
given it's free, has anyone tried virtual box? Basically I'm looking for the cheapest way to do this since I only need Windows for this application .... seems like my shopping list is:

* VM software (vm ware, parallels, virtual box)
* Windows - anybody know of cheap source?
* Thunderbolt / ethernet adapter
* ODB dongle
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
given it's free, has anyone tried virtual box? Basically I'm looking for the cheapest way to do this since I only need Windows for this application .... seems like my shopping list is:

* ODB dongle
As mentioned above, you can do without the virtualization software and boot your Mac directly into Windows. The software only avoids your having to reboot.
      04-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Yeah, dual boot might be easiest if you're trying to stay away from the added cost of the virtualization software. That said, VMware Fusion is worth every penny and I've not run into a single issue. Slide left, I'm in my windows VM.. slide right, I'm looking at my coding cheat sheet

disclaimer... I run vmware for work purposes as well, so I get more use out of it than just coding.
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 02:15 AM   #13
Spara
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post

* ODB dongle
I tried with VirtualBox with windows8.1 and couldn't get it to work. Even with NIC bridging enabled for the thunderbolt ethernet adapter, it seemed like a NAT address (192.168) was consistently being assigned. I wasn't motivated enough to install wireshark and confirm that was what was happening.

Just going to do bootcamp this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixsaves13 View Post

ix, you get it to work man?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 11:12 PM   #15
ixsaves13
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the late response... Yes, I got it to work! Once I shut down the VM, I had the thunderbolt adapter plugged in, I got the option for "thunderbolt ethernet" (previously only "thunderbolt adapter" was on the list) and it worked. I connected to my car to test, but haven't done any coding yet. I'd like to speak with someone who's done it before I go ahead and make changes, just to cover my bases.

Thanks for all the advise above!!!!
2008 Evo X (sold)
2006 Evo IX (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
xnu
Private
Rep
Drives: F82

Once you've connected the thunderbolt interface to your VM.

Kill all other network devices like your WIFI. You want a bridge mode with the ethernet cable.

Its also worth setting up a static ip address. Usually you can find the 'cable' a lot faster that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #17
tonydt1g3r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F83

I was thinking of doing either bootcamp or parallels, since I already have a license. I got a new macbook pro 2015 model. My HD is only 128gb SSD. Was thinking the footprint might be smaller with parallels but bootcamp is faster? Not sure which one to do.

Also I saw all you guys are using the thunderbolt ethernet adapter. Is that required? I was thinking of buying a cheap $10 adapter off amazon.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #18
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
I was thinking of doing either bootcamp or parallels, since I already have a license. I got a new macbook pro 2015 model. My HD is only 128gb SSD. Was thinking the footprint might be smaller with parallels but bootcamp is faster? Not sure which one to do.

Also I saw all you guys are using the thunderbolt ethernet adapter. Is that required? I was thinking of buying a cheap $10 adapter off amazon.
I use the apple Ethernet to thunderbolt adapter and if you don't have Ethernet on your Mac then yes it's needed....I haven't seen the one on Amazon you're mentioning, but if it connects to thunderbolt, then I imagine it will work.

Regarding using a boot camp partition versus a virtual machine (which makes windows look like a file on your Mac hard drive)...I've been using parallels for years and the current version (10) there is no speed difference between running from a boot camp partition or VM file. You can also copy the VM file onto another hard drive and create several different versions of windows. I have one VM that is my normal windows 7, and a second with all the coding stuff on it. You can always convert your boot camp virtual machine into a local VM (file on Mac drive) using parallels as well and erase the boot camp partition and get that space back, but you can't convert a parallels VM (file) back to a working boot camp partition, just something to consider if you decided to go the boot camp route.

Regarding networking someone mentioned above to turn off wifi and only use "thunderbolt Ethernet"...and that works but you can configure the virtual machine with 2 network adapters - one at "thunderbolt Ethernet" and the second as a shared network and that way you will have wifi access on the virtual machine and still have the Ethernet connection to the car....this is helpful if someone is helping code the car "virtually" for you.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 11:23 PM   #19
tonydt1g3r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
I use the apple Ethernet to thunderbolt adapter and if you don't have Ethernet on your Mac then yes it's needed....I haven't seen the one on Amazon you're mentioning, but if it connects to thunderbolt, then I imagine it will work.

Regarding using a boot camp partition versus a virtual machine (which makes windows look like a file on your Mac hard drive)...I've been using parallels for years and the current version (10) there is no speed difference between running from a boot camp partition or VM file. You can also copy the VM file onto another hard drive and create several different versions of windows. I have one VM that is my normal windows 7, and a second with all the coding stuff on it. You can always convert your boot camp virtual machine into a local VM (file on Mac drive) using parallels as well and erase the boot camp partition and get that space back, but you can't convert a parallels VM (file) back to a working boot camp partition, just something to consider if you decided to go the boot camp route.

Regarding networking someone mentioned above to turn off wifi and only use "thunderbolt Ethernet"...and that works but you can configure the virtual machine with 2 network adapters - one at "thunderbolt Ethernet" and the second as a shared network and that way you will have wifi access on the virtual machine and still have the Ethernet connection to the car....this is helpful if someone is helping code the car "virtually" for you.
thanks I guess I will go parallels then.

As far as a cheap adapter I was thinking a usb 3.0 to ethernet. wasnt sure why everyone was using the thunderbolt one.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #20
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r View Post
thanks I guess I will go parallels then.

As far as a cheap adapter I was thinking a usb 3.0 to ethernet. wasnt sure why everyone was using the thunderbolt one.
For me I went with the thunderbolt adapter just for compatibility...I know thunderbolt is quick (so is USB 3.0)....didn't even know there were usb 3.0 to ethernet adapters...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 01:25 PM   #21
D0NVT
Rep
Drives: 330d

Hey, guys, I got the same problem, I've installed Parallels 18 and Windows 11 on external SSD of my MacBook Pro 2017.
ISTA and ESYS are kinda new revisions.
But I can't find the car in the connection dialog of ISTA.
By the way I got another laptop with Windows 11 and the same ISTA and ESYS do work there.
So there's a definitely problem with network setup of Parallels I guess.
Here're some screenshots of my setup.

If you got any suggestions please help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 09:53 PM   #22
BOBDAMAGE
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 328xi

Garage List
2011 BMW 328XI  [7.00]
Unhappy

Did you ever get this sorted? I too have the same issue. If i connect using K+DCAN cable all works perfectly. However, i'm unable to connect via ENET, have you found any fix whatsoever?
Appreciate 0